Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Remember to register for Nintendo's Camp Hyrule!

Old 07-29-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember to register for Nintendo's Camp Hyrule!

http://www.camphyrule.com/

Registration ends at 5:00pm PST on July 31st and the camp is from August 11th to August 15th. You get to play games online, meet other Nintendo players, and participate in activities. More info at that link above. Requires free My Nintendo membership (link also at page above). If you subscribe to Nintendo Power make sure to put in your membership number so that you have access to extra Nintendo content at the Nintendo website
Old 07-29-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Before you flip out I own a GC,

but let me get this straight... the company that says online gaming is not the place to be is holding an online gaming camp?
Old 07-29-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Observation: You really, really like video games.
Old 07-29-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sniper308

but let me get this straight... the company that says online gaming is not the place to be is holding an online gaming camp?
Yeah. I've heard Nintendo has their own website, too.
Old 07-29-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They've been doing Camp Hyrule for years
Old 07-29-03, 11:52 PM
Retired

Online gaming "isn't the place to be" because it's not profitable at the moment.

It's not like Nintendo's forsaken the internet or anything.

They just don't have deep enough pockets to lose a bunch of money like MS is on Live.
Old 07-30-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Camp Hyrule has been around for a LONG time. I'm guessing it's going into its 6th year at least.

Before it was real exclusive, a real task to get accepted. Now it seems to be rather open.
Old 07-30-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Online gaming "isn't the place to be" because it's not profitable at the moment.

It's not like Nintendo's forsaken the internet or anything.

They just don't have deep enough pockets to lose a bunch of money like MS is on Live.
I don't have a problem with that, it just seems that people who would generally be interested in this type of thing would also be interested in online gaming, but maybe not.

Also, even though I don't think the PS2 online model is the best, I'm not sure that is costing much $$, and the GC has the capability to do as much online as the PS2 is, since they have already released the hardware. And before anyone else gets huffy, I understand that online access in Japan is quite different than here due to cost of land lines, etc.

I just thought it was interesting that they are promoting gaming using the net in this way, just not supporting online gaming in any way.
Old 07-30-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
Yeah. I've heard Nintendo has their own website, too.
Wow, good response.
Old 07-30-03, 11:12 AM
Retired

Well, the PS2 model is more or less, release a broadband adapter and modem and let third parties do the networks themselves.

Nintendo has put out a broadband adapter and modem, but other than Phantasy Star Online, no third parties have used it. Nothing I'm aware of, for instance, is stopping EA from making their GC sports titles online.
Old 07-30-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, the PS2 model is more or less, release a broadband adapter and modem and let third parties do the networks themselves.

Nintendo has put out a broadband adapter and modem, but other than Phantasy Star Online, no third parties have used it. Nothing I'm aware of, for instance, is stopping EA from making their GC sports titles online.
Except maybe some incentive to do so from Nintendo, or possibly any agreement they now have with Sony.

It would be a good thing for Nintendo to offer some incentives. Doesn't have to be much, just enough to get some developers to participate and this could help sell more hardware.

I really want Nintendo to stay in the competition and keep releasing games, hardware, etc.

Anything they can do to help that along would be a good thing.

In any case, how is the camp, anybody participate previously?

Last edited by sniper308; 07-30-03 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-30-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well you know the camp is free, why don't you try it
Old 07-30-03, 11:40 AM
Retired

Originally posted by sniper308
Except maybe some incentive to do so from Nintendo..
Last off topic post.

Online gaming isn't profitable. Dial up has too much lag and not enough people have broadband/interest in online gaming for it to make money.

I mean X-box live is the best console online gaming option yet put out, and the latest numbers posted here were 500,000 subscribers, which is a pretty small fraction of the 10 million or so X-box owners and and even smaller fraction of the 65 million or so (50 mil. PS2, 5 Mil. GC) console owners overall.

As a result, Nintendo isn't going to expand their user base much through online gaming, so offering incentives to third parties would just be wasted cash for them this generation.
Old 07-30-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last off topic post.

As a result, Nintendo isn't going to expand their user base much through online gaming, so offering incentives to third parties would just be wasted cash for them this generation.
Last one for me too...

I don't know, online animal crossing or something like that could really draw people. Apparently that is a popular game, although I have not played it.

They are going to be supporting LAN connectivity for Mario Kart, correct?

I'd think if they could get a really good title or two that supported online, they could sell more of the Network Adapters, and that would at least be a good thing for them, and give them a little more steam going into the next gen.

Anyway, I may check out the camp. For those that do it, please post your impressions, etc.
Old 07-30-03, 01:01 PM
Banned

I would pay good money for an adapter to play my GC online, but I would never pay for an online gaming service unless it offered *substantially* more than just the ability to play against other players. Like, free games or something.

I guess I'm spoiled by the PC where I can host a game and others can connect to me and we can all play without using any other services whatsoever.
Old 07-30-03, 06:55 PM

Is this thing online using your PC or online using your Cube?
Old 07-30-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So let's say that Nintendo would announce an online plan.
I know people want to play their games online but wouldn't Nintendo see LIVE as a huge obstacle to overcome? I'm guessing so. I'm thinking the online experience on a GC, if we ever see this type of thing, wouldn't be much better than the structure that Sony has.

SOCCOM is fun and all but trying to find a friend in there can be annoying. I haven't played the game in ages because I could never find my friends and when I did I often got kicked along with everyone else on that server. Thank goodness it's all free because the whole experience was far more work than it was fun when I used to play.

There is no way they would interoduce anything at all like LIVE on this system and if going online with my GC was anything like going online with my PS2 I wouldn't waste my time using their online service.

I never would of thought I needed all three consoles but they all have some many different things to offer I'm glad I spent my money on all of them.
Old 07-30-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Is this thing online using your PC or online using your Cube?
Your PC.