DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Picked up a Dreamcast (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/308089-picked-up-dreamcast.html)

Setzer 07-29-03 12:21 PM

Picked up a Dreamcast

When this was first released I got sucked into the hype and bought one along with Soul Caliber & Sonic. I ended up selling it...something I did not want to do....on ebay about 2 months later for a little more than what I paid for it.

So here it is 4 years later and I just scored one off of ebay for about $50 and got a controller plus 4 games with it. Not a bad deal, at least I thought. Personally I think the Dreamcast was a great system, it just wasn't able to compete with Sony or Nintendo as far as sales go. Which is sad cause it was a much better system, hardware wise, than the PS1 or N64.

Anyways, about the only games I've played on the DC were SC, Sonic, Power Stone, NFL2K1. Can any of you recommend any titles that were 'must haves' or any games worth picking up? Thanks for your input :).

Joshic 07-29-03 12:52 PM

Skies of Arcadia

Josh H 07-29-03 12:56 PM

Grandia 2
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Seaman
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (not exclusive but it is the best version)
Rayman 2 (ditto)
Virtua Tennis 1 and 2
NBA2Kx
probably some more I'm forgetting at the moment

Setzer 07-29-03 01:53 PM

When I picked up my XBOX last week..had to buy it for KOTOR :lol I asked the guy at EB if he could recommend any other good RPG's for the XBOX and he mentioned Shenmue II but asked if I had played Shenmue for the DC, which I haven't. I remember it being a pretty big title just I never got to play it. So, was it any good?

Josh H 07-29-03 02:02 PM

I personally hated Shenmue.

I just found it extremely boring. Most of the time you just wander around talking to random people trying to figure out what to do next.

Then when you find out what to do, it is time based (i.e. meet some one a 9 p.m.) and more often than not you have to stand around and wait until time for the event and time passes pretty slow in the game.

menaz 07-29-03 02:33 PM

Very well said there Josh, Shenmue is one of those games you either love or hate, but most people who hate it, like I did, do so for all the reasons above.

DOA2 was great, Crazy Taxi, Ready 2 Rumble, I know theres more, but cant think right now.

IC_Freeze 07-29-03 03:03 PM

chuchu rocket

SmackDaddy 07-29-03 03:14 PM

MDK2-Cool but really tough shooter/platformer

Also, you can still find a limited selection of new DC games at local Toys R Us' . I found Unreal Tournament, Chu Chu Rocket, Space Channel 5 and a 2k2 sports pack(NFL,NBA and MLB) for $20.

Also the Sega.com sega shop for the DC has about 15 games you can order, Q3, Seaman, Floigan Bros. etc..

Copenhagen 07-29-03 03:20 PM

Record of Lodoss War

zerotl 07-29-03 03:29 PM

Soul Calibur. Awesome Fighting game, oh and if you really want to enjoy it, pick up the peripherals. I'm actually trying to score a cheap fishing rod @ eBay.

Breakfast with Girls 07-29-03 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Copenhagen
Record of Lodoss War
:up:

ShawnMercury 07-29-03 04:44 PM

I just sold my Dreamcast, 2 controllers, 2 VMUs, 10 games for $50 to a co-worker.

I kind of liked the fishing games (don't know why). Even had the DC fishing rod controller. I'd just relax after work and e-fish.

WepaMan 07-29-03 04:46 PM

This link should help:

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/games/best/

edstein 07-29-03 08:55 PM

Virtua Tennis
Soul Calibur
Sonic
Record of Lodoss War (its just like diablo)

psxfan2 07-30-03 07:59 AM

tough i bashed it when it first came out, i did'nt realized how great a system it was untill i started picking up bargain bin titles.

some of my favorites,

test drive le mans
metropolis street racer
f 355
wacky races
toy commander
hydro thunder
fur fighters
crazy taxi
soul calibur
all the nfl k's

dancinns 07-30-03 02:22 PM

Since no one ever mentions this game...Bangai-O. It's a fun little shooter that's not insanely difficult. And of course you can't go without Mr. Driller.

edit: I almost forgot about my favorite DC game, Jet Grind Radio.

Gideon68 07-30-03 11:02 PM

Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Sega Marine Fishing (get the fishing controller if you can find it)

Along with everything else mentioned.

spainlinx0 07-31-03 09:34 AM

I love my Dreamcast, but to say it was better hardwarewise than the PS1 or N64 is unfair. The Saturn was meant to compete with those 2 systems. This was next-gen and should be compared to the PS2.

happyday 07-31-03 11:47 AM

My favorite multi-player is San Francisco Rush 2049.

Also great games are:

4 player games:
Tennis 2K2
Powerstone 2
Bomberman
Chu Chu Rocket

Single Player:
Skies of Arcadia

Two player:
Dead or Alive 2

Also Phantasy Star Online 1 or 2, but that was for online play which probably isn't suported anymore.

Enjoy! Talk about an under-rated system.

Lastblade 07-31-03 12:52 PM

Rez

illennium 07-31-03 01:34 PM

I think the best game on the system is Jet Grind Radio. It's also one of the cheapest. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned it.