DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Thinking of getting a Used SNES (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/308065-thinking-getting-used-snes.html)

TOPDAWG 07-29-03 11:08 AM

Thinking of getting a Used SNES

Hello I wanted to ask has anyone had any porbs with a used SNES they got or the used games? Also do the SNES games run off a battery for saving your game like Zelda did on the NES or does it use some extra ram on the cart to save your games? I'm really in the mood for some 2-D gaming and this seems like a good way to go for me.

TOPDAWG 07-29-03 12:09 PM

OK update I'm not thinking anymore I'm getting one later today when I go to EB. I looked at thier site and they got alot of the old mario games I want for like $15 I'm getting the system for 2-D goodness I just can't take playing 3-D games the rest of my life :(
I grew up with 2-D game cause I been playing way back to teh atrui days so I need some 2-D in my gaming life again. So anyone got any games I sould pick up I know I will be getting mario all stars and Super Mario World.

Josh H 07-29-03 12:10 PM

I still have my SNES hooked up and it works fine. The cartridge systems are pretty durable as they have no moving parts.

Be sure to scour EBAY for SNES games, you can find a lot of them (some even new and steal factory sealed) for under $10 shipped.

UAIOE 07-29-03 01:06 PM

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
So anyone got any games I sould pick up I know I will be getting mario all stars and Super Mario World.
What kind of games do you like? Platform, fighting, racing, so on...

"Link to the Past" as well as "Super Mario All-Stars/World" have battery backup to save data. If you want RPG's for the SNES be prepared to lay down some cash...some get expensive.

My eternal favorite game for SNES is "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4" short but fun.

As for any serious problems with an SNES...the only one is that some SNES cases tend to fade in color (and it may not affect the entire case).

PixyJunket 07-29-03 01:21 PM

I wouldn't say they FADE in color.. more like turn yellow. :)

BTW, TOPDAWG.. SUPER METROID.

Josh H 07-29-03 01:28 PM

Missed the part about games.

Link to the Past
Super Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Super Metroid (my all time favorite game)
All the mario games
Act Raiser
Final Fantasy 3
Secret of Mana
the Donkey Kong Country series
Super Contra
Castlevania 4
Super Star Wars series
Tetris Attack
Tetris/Dr. Mario
NBA Jam
and many more, easily my all time favorite console.

Face/Off 07-29-03 01:37 PM

The greatest four-player game of all time -- Super Bomberman.

Mr. Cinema 07-29-03 01:45 PM

If you have a GameCube, buy the Gameboy player and just wait until they release all of these on GBA. Then you can play them on a much more powerful system, GCN.

PixyJunket 07-29-03 01:51 PM

:confused:

menaz 07-29-03 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
If you have a GameCube, buy the Gameboy player and just wait until they release all of these on GBA. Then you can play them on a much more powerful system, GCN.
Was that some sort of discrete sarcasm?

Josh H 07-29-03 02:38 PM

I hope that was sarcasm.

The SNES games still look better as they fill the whole screen, not all the classics will be ported, and the ones that are sell for $25 when you can find the SNES versions on EBAY for $5-15 in most cases with some even being unopened, factory sealed games.

zerotl 07-29-03 03:26 PM

Mario Kart! Mario Kart! The best racing game ever!!!!

trigun 07-29-03 03:44 PM

I was horrified when I unpacked my SNES some time ago and saw that the bottom half had turned that sick green color. Shortly thereafter my power supply went out, so I just went ahead and got another system that hasn't turned fugly on me.

TOPDAWG 07-29-03 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Cinema

HAHA I knew this was coming OK get ready to get pissed N fans. I'm sorry but I think the GC line up is just bad so I don't want one I did want one but I changed my mind once capcom said the capcom 5 may go to other systems and the **** line up they had at E3. Also all this connect this and that turned me off to the system too. Also looking at that new port of DK country on GBA the GBA ports don't look as good as the games did on SNES so I just want with the SNES cause it would be cheaper why should I pay $30 for a port on the GBA when I can get the game on the SNES playing on my big TV with better picture and colors for $15?

Plus it's fun owning the old systems :P Also can you use male plugs to hook the thing to your TV I got one of them ass old RF things with it. I hope you can get them male hook ups for it. OK I copy and pasted the games people keep it coming thanks allot.

PS. Thanks for the huge list poeple. :P Also I stoped reading the post above to reply to this guy then then want back to read teh rest and saw josh post Holy crap he typed everyhting I did almost word for word wow scary.

slop101 07-29-03 03:50 PM

If you can test out the SNES before buying it - try checking the cartridge connections by gently touching the cartridge while the system is on. If the connection is good, nothing will happen, if it's bad, the game will stop working.

My SNES; all you have to do is just blow on the cartridge and the game freezes

Aghama 07-29-03 04:14 PM

Don't get the small style SNES. It doesn't have an LED, but more importantly it doesn't have S-Video support.

TOPDAWG 07-29-03 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
Don't get the small style SNES. It doesn't have an LED, but more importantly it doesn't have S-Video support.
Yeah I got the old one that is the one I wanted so I got lucky and that was the one thay had at EB they only had one SNES and it seemed they was shocked they even had it. OK I'm gald to hear I can get s-video for it I was not sure being as the system is so damn old. Do you know where I can get the s-video cables for it I can't find any from looking around on the net. Thanks for the help man. Also the one I got still has it's colors it is a refubed one so pretty much everything inside sould be new cause it was tested like in 2002. So I sould nto have any porbs with it braking or anything I'm gald it's a rebub one and not just a used one so it sould wokr for osme time to come woohoo.

Aghama 07-29-03 04:42 PM

The SNES uses the same A/V cable as the N64 and Gamecube, so just find one of those.

einTier 07-29-03 05:35 PM

Get a Dreamcast and download an emulator and a bunch of ROMS.

Or get an XBox, chip it, and do the same thing.

TOPDAWG 07-29-03 07:12 PM

Thank you for the ebay idea I'm bidding on two items now and the thing got 50 mins lift before I win god mins sure last god damn long when you want them to hurry the hell up :(( Also it's 2 games for one and I'm getting 4 of the best if not best games on SNES :) thanks alot poeple you been a very big help. I'll update this if I win cause I would say what I getting but you may end up wanting it and bid higher then me :P

OK I leanred how to use ebay now I had no idea you could just enter yoru highest bid and ebay would update your bid for ya that is how poeple was beating me so it was my own dumbness. I'm happy to say I won super mario world and mario all stars for $25. Mario all stars companys want like $25 for it i'm getting it for $12 and paid $10 for super mario world. I'm having a hard time getting the DK games thay go for like $15 or so and I'm short on cash right now need car fixed :( Happy I at least won to items.

asabase 07-29-03 07:37 PM

Don't forget F-Zero. Chronotrigger is good so far.

And superbomber man is indeed the best 4player game ever.

PixyJunket 07-29-03 08:19 PM

Yes but Saturn Bomberman is the best 10 player game ever.