Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ESPN Football or Madden for online play?

Old 07-29-03, 10:54 AM

ESPN Football or Madden for online play?

I sold both my Xbox and PS2 to go on vacation and now I am going to have to buy one of the 2 systems back so i can play a football game but my problem is do I get a PS2 and play madden online or get an XBOX and play ESPN on live? I like Madden but I like Live better for online play. my main problem with the madden online is people disconnecting when they start to lose, I dont know if this will be corrected in madden or on xbox live.

basically just trying to see which game other people are getting.
Old 07-29-03, 11:12 AM

I can tell you with NCAA 2004 that if a person disconnects it does not matter if you win or lose that game, in the standings when you view that game, it will show that you won 2-0.
Old 07-29-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: ESPN Football or Madden for online play?

Originally posted by bluntman72
my main problem with the madden online is people disconnecting when they start to lose, I dont know if this will be corrected in madden or on xbox live.
people pulling was a problem in both madden and on xbox live. when xbox live first came out everyone was thinking it wouldnt be a problem but i remember the threads and posts all over the place about people complaining about it. its gonna happen regardless of what system youre on. find a good group of people on a gaming forum and only play people you know. its what i've been doing since about the 2nd week of madden 2003 and never have a problem finding a good game.
Old 07-29-03, 02:27 PM

I was hoping with the new sports league live is starting that they would either keep track of disconnects or give you a loss for a disconnect. I am leaning towards madden and if they give you a loss for a disconnect I will go with the PS2.
Old 07-29-03, 02:30 PM
Retired

I'd just go with:

1. Which game you prefer more.
2. Which system has the most games besides Madden that you want to play.
Old 07-29-03, 02:43 PM

I played NCAA, the guy disconnected on me and I got credited with a loss...whats up with that????
Old 07-29-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: ESPN Football or Madden for online play?

Originally posted by TaTTooD
find a good group of people on a gaming forum and only play people you know. its what i've been doing since about the 2nd week of madden 2003 and never have a problem finding a good game.
Is that some sort of plug?

Madden is also free this season, you have to subscribe to XBLive if you want to play 2K4 (or whatever its called).
Old 07-29-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: ESPN Football or Madden for online play?

Originally posted by JNielsen
Is that some sort of plug?
not at all.....true life story
Old 07-29-03, 03:17 PM

I should still have a live account since I kept the headset and software when I sold my previous xbox. I like the Xbox better but there are some really good games on PS2 also.

Last edited by bluntman72; 07-29-03 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting "solution" that EA implemented. So if your dsl goes out, you automatically get a loss? I guess that's ok...
Old 07-29-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
The whole thing is just to play with people that you know, not just random people on the internet. Most of my random games last season were ok, but I just couldn't count on everyone not pulling the plug.

I think that M$'s XSN Sports , which is just for Fever, may end up being quite sweet. You can setup leagues and it tracks games and stats every 15 minutes.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm getting Fever04 for the XSNSports thing.
Old 07-30-03, 12:08 PM

I was hoping you could play ESPN on XSN, but I will probably get a PS2 and Madden. If I hear good things about XSN and fever I will check that out later in the football season.
Old 07-30-03, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by bluntman72
I was hoping you could play ESPN on XSN, but I will probably get a PS2 and Madden. If I hear good things about XSN and fever I will check that out later in the football season.
ESPN will be on LIVE, just not XSN.
Old 08-03-03, 05:57 AM

Why isn't Madden gonna be X-Box live?
Old 08-03-03, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Dacoops3
Why isn't Madden gonna be X-Box live?
EA and MS could not come to an agreement on the earnings/cost of EA's Live implementation.

EA get's a kickback from Sony for their games. MS did not want to do the same for EA. EA basically said kiss off and that EA doesn't need MS.

Which is kinda true, EA is the largest/profitable gaming companies out there.

It's only a matter of time though, before EA turns to the Dark Side.

EA remember, "nothing ever lasts forever", good or bad.
Old 08-03-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

XSN sounds interesting, but if it only works with the crappy MS sports games why bother. I don't understand why people would play a crappy sports game just for online features.

In other words, get Madden 2004.
Old 08-03-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had madden 2003 on ps2 and nfl2k3 on xbox last season. I loved madden online until a few weeks in people were just doing the same damn plays over and over again. Too many cheese players out there. Then of course with madden there are people on dialup. I am probably going to use fever04 this season just for the xsn to try it out. Golucky, let me know what league you are in, I'll join you if that's cool.

As for darkside, one of the reasons I want xsn is that I hear you can view your next opponents best and worst plays. This allows you to get some strategy and just gets a better feel for it IMO. Of course if fever comes out on gamerankings with a horrible score I might have to pass it, but I think it will be worth a trial at least.
Old 08-04-03, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by s}{ammer
I had madden 2003 on ps2 and nfl2k3 on xbox last season. I loved madden online until a few weeks in people were just doing the same damn plays over and over again. Too many cheese players out there. Then of course with madden there are people on dialup. I am probably going to use fever04 this season just for the xsn to try it out. Golucky, let me know what league you are in, I'll join you if that's cool.

As for darkside, one of the reasons I want xsn is that I hear you can view your next opponents best and worst plays. This allows you to get some strategy and just gets a better feel for it IMO. Of course if fever comes out on gamerankings with a horrible score I might have to pass it, but I think it will be worth a trial at least.
I sure will. BTW, I'd love to get enough people from Dvdtalk to get a whole league going. Then we could post a link to let everyone else watch.
Old 08-04-03, 09:56 AM

Madden has a feature this year, something like "straight up game" or something to that effect. It forces you to punt on fourth down, and if you sit on the pause screen for a long period of time, it unpauses it and takes you back out to the game. It basically makes for a more fair, not as cheesy game.
Old 08-04-03, 10:50 AM

"New EA SPORTS Fair Play ranking system eliminates online cheating and only rewards players who complete full games." after reading this on ebgames web site i guess I am going to get Madden.

I hope they dont force you to punt on 4th down, there are times when you actually need to go for it on 4th down.
Old 08-04-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bluntman, exactly what I was thinking. You will never get rid of cheesy play unless you play people you know. Taking away an entire down is overkill IMO. If it is late in the game and you are trying to break a tie in their endzone or are trailing this would ruin the game entirely for me.
Old 08-04-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the fair play isnt that restrictive. if youre way back in your own territory and its early in the game or else if youre up by a lot and you try to go for it on 4th down it wont let you. the fair play only seems to prevent people from going for it in extreme situations when no team ever would anyways. fair play is in ncaa football now too so i would imagine the same things in madden.
Old 08-04-03, 05:58 PM

Honestly, there's no contest on the ps2 or xbox for online play--ESPN should be your game of choice because:

a) It has online leagues for ps2, and has the same voice capabilities (madden doesn't have leagues)
b) Madden doesn't have online for the xbox, so ESPN wins by default
c) If it's anything like last year, Madden was a 99% cheesefest in almost every game. Never had that problem in any 2k3 game.

Taylor34
Old 08-04-03, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by taylor34
Honestly, there's no contest on the ps2 or xbox for online play--ESPN should be your game of choice because:

a) It has online leagues for ps2, and has the same voice capabilities (madden doesn't have leagues)
b) Madden doesn't have online for the xbox, so ESPN wins by default
c) If it's anything like last year, Madden was a 99% cheesefest in almost every game. Never had that problem in any 2k3 game.

Taylor34
Too bad the ESPN/2K series sucks.
Old 08-04-03, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by evenflowddt
Too bad the ESPN/2K series sucks.
It got 90% scores pretty much across the board last year, about the same as Madden. It's main flaw--people are so used to Madden that they don't have an open mind towards anything else (like you). It has flaws but so does madden. As far as online play goes, I'm sure most people would agree that 2k3 offered the much better online experience last year (once the xbox live stuff came out anyways). Much less cheese and ai holes, less lag, voice comms, etc.

Taylor34

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.