Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Report : Clamor Mounts for Video Game Console Price Cuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm aware of that.

I was just stating that even after the price drops it's still costly to be able to play all the games that interest you--hardly "riduculously cheap" by my tight budget anyway.
yet you bought a new overpriced console
Old 07-29-03, 12:17 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gcribbs
yet you bought a new overpriced console
That I did. Damn impulse purchases.

I do have to say that these 3 console crap sucks though. I thought it would be good as the competition would mean more good games, but this just hasn't happened IMO. I really don't see any more quality games this generation than we had in the N64/PSX era.

So basically we're stuck buying 3 consoles to play the same number of great games IMO.

As much as I love Nintendo, I really wouldn't mind them going third party (though it's not going to happen until at least the generation after next). Actually I'd like to see them partner with either Sony or MS. Then they could focus on one hardware platform and keep their games top notch, and hopefully be allowed to design the controllers.
Old 07-29-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
That I did. Damn impulse purchases.

I do have to say that these 3 console crap sucks though.

As much as I love Nintendo, I really wouldn't mind them going third party (though it's not going to happen until at least the generation after next). Actually I'd like to see them partner with either Sony or MS.
3 would be too much for me as well, but I still like the competition. For me owning 2 is manageable for my time and $$$.

I think it is still early in the competition to see all the benefits. I think we are seeing some benefits in technology (online, hard drives, wireless controllers, etc), and some in pricing. I think it will take a bit longer to completely see the benefit in the games. But that may have to do with the risk adversity of the industry due to the high costs of making games, etc. Sequels and sure things seem to be sucking up the $$$, while lesser known or riskier prospects are not making the cut due to the possible amount of $$$ lost.

As far as the 3rd party stuff I just can't see it happening, but who knows it could in a couple of generations. The current EGM has an article on Nintendo and their view points on the current gaming market, and impending changes, etc.