Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Phantasy Star Online - cancel account questions!

Old 07-25-03, 02:25 PM

Phantasy Star Online - cancel account questions!

Has anyone that purchased PSO for X-box sold their game to someone else, or cancelled and then tried to re-activate the PSO account? I just cancelled my account because I sold the game (ebay) and the rep told me that if I want to play PSO again I have to purchase a NEW copy of the game, and that nobody else can use that copy of the game either. If this is true that is totally screwed up (and I imagine the person who I sold it to will be a bit peeved also if they cancel their acccount (which I am paying for, technically)).

Anyone have any luck with this? I find it hard to believe Microsoft would actually implement this - how would you rent the game if it were true? (Except for playing offline).
Old 07-25-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds fishy.. I was planning on cancelling mine and selling it on eBay too.. tell me what you find out.

I love the game, but can't play it enough to warrant the cost.
Old 07-25-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The old PSO 1 for Dreamcast did something similar... it tied the account down to your Dreamcast, or something like that, so that the resale value of the game was nil.
Old 07-25-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but you had the enter the games pin number for the DC version.. I don't see how they could match a disc to a paticular hard drive this time around, all it does is check that you have Live to connect.
Old 07-25-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't think the XBOX harddrive can check UPC codes?
Old 07-26-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Sounds fishy.. I was planning on cancelling mine and selling it on eBay too.. tell me what you find out.

I love the game, but can't play it enough to warrant the cost.
I have the GC version, and AFAIK it doesn't tie the game down to the system as the DC version did. I don't know how live works though.

You're right about the cost...it's just not worth it...especially for GC owners who have to invest at least $100 to enjoy the game.