Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Star Wars Galaxies

Old 07-23-03, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Wars Galaxies

I just wanted to tell you guys that this game is AMAZING, sucks to have to pay 15 a month but it's definately worth it. Any of you have this?
Old 07-23-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I played in beta and its among the worst MMORPG's out there. I highly doubt I will return. There were a few thread a while back, not many will buy it I think

so
1 likes it
1 does not

Who will you listen to
Old 07-23-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Re: Star Wars Galaxies

Originally posted by chrisfarrar
I just wanted to tell you guys that this game is AMAZING, sucks to have to pay 15 a month but it's definately worth it. Any of you have this?
So what's so great about this game?
Old 07-23-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Star Wars Galaxies

Originally posted by goLUCKY
So what's so great about this game?
Err...it's AMAZING! (learn to read)

(but apparantly it sucks because you have to pay $15 a month too...)
Old 07-23-03, 09:21 PM

well let me go into a little detail. Well as in all RPG's there is a ton of depth, and so much interaction. probalby over 1000 people in each server, and there are several professions you can pursue, scout, marksman, Entertainer, Medic, and several more, and then combining some of these such as scout and marksman you can become a bounty hunter, and eventually no telling how many hours into the game you can be a Jedi. Everytime you are in a battle you get battle fatigue, when you receive battle fatigue the only way to get it down is to go to a Cantina in one of the towns and listen or watch an entertainer, then if you would like you can tip the entertainer. All of the items you get you can sell at auctions. Like i said earlier there's so much depth that there really isn't any point in me babbling on. Hope this somewhat helps.

I've always hated the fact of paying monthly for a game, and this is the first one that will continue to get my 15 dollars every month.
Old 07-23-03, 09:22 PM

well actually let me clarify that, probably 1000 people on each planet in a server.
Old 07-23-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Judging from the amount of money idio... er... people are paying on eBay for SWG credits and characters, I'd say this game is extremely well-liked.

I'm not paying $15 a month for it though.
Old 07-23-03, 09:38 PM

Yea i've noticed that, that's pretty pathetic bidding on credits and characters imo
Old 07-23-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sorry but when I buy a Star Wars MMRPG and can't become a Jedi that's pure BS. Without Jedi's the game is just a SCI-FI MMRPG @ $15 a month with no customer service to be found. I'm judging the game in it's current state and not what will be added and improved in the future.
Old 07-23-03, 09:44 PM

Well being a jedi is supposed to be an honor, so if everybody was a jedi the game would suck. that's why it's so hard to become one.
Old 07-23-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well being a jedi is supposed to be an honor, so if everybody was a jedi the game would suck. that's why it's so hard to become one.
It's not hard. You cannot become a Jedi currently period.
Old 07-23-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i thought it was merely very very difficult to become a jedi?

anyway, i don't mind if people want to play this game and pay. i don't think we need all the smart comments. but i want to be a jedi. thank goodness for KoTOR!!!
Old 07-23-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by young
i thought it was merely very very difficult to become a jedi?

anyway, i don't mind if people want to play this game and pay. i don't think we need all the smart comments. but i want to be a jedi. thank goodness for KoTOR!!!
Eventually when they work out issues you will be able too but currently you cannot.

*Edit*
From the Games Domain review
And finally, there are the Jedi. Or are there? LucasArts promised a system where every player would have the chance to play a Force-sensitive character, after completing some unknown series of tasks. This character would not be able to clone in the same way as normal characters, and if killed, would be lost outright. However, there's no evidence that this functionality is present in the game. LucasArts did not respond to our requests for a tour of the advanced features of the game, and Jedi features are apparently disabled at present. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that this feature is to be patched in at some unspecified point in the future.

Last edited by cubanx; 07-23-03 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-24-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i havent played this game but i was interested to see what was being sold on ebay and i stumbled across this lil auction..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11050

sounded pretty cool..

edited: just saw this one thats selling for almost 500 bucks

its a bounty hunter character in the game..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4596

Paying 500 bucks for a video game character seems a little bit too much to me...

Last edited by Kicker_of_Elves; 07-24-03 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-24-03, 12:32 AM

well if you go to gamefaqs, there are some jedi's out there so it's not impossible. they are there.
Old 07-24-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well if you go to gamefaqs, there are some jedi's out there so it's not impossible. they are there.
Humm.. Has anyone on this board seen or is a Jedi. I know their are quite a few Ex-Beta Testers.

Last edited by cubanx; 07-24-03 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-24-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm still int he stance that I should only pay once for my games. as much as I would like to play this.. I hold back from it bcause of those reasons.
Old 07-24-03, 10:37 AM
Suspended

well let me go into a little detail. Well as in all RPG's there is a ton of depth, and so much interaction. probalby over 1000 people in each server, and there are several professions you can pursue, scout, marksman, Entertainer, Medic, and several more, and then combining some of these such as scout and marksman you can become a bounty hunter, and eventually no telling how many hours into the game you can be a Jedi. Everytime you are in a battle you get battle fatigue, when you receive battle fatigue the only way to get it down is to go to a Cantina in one of the towns and listen or watch an entertainer, then if you would like you can tip the entertainer. All of the items you get you can sell at auctions. Like i said earlier there's so much depth that there really isn't any point in me babbling on. Hope this somewhat helps.
I, of course, represent the other end of the spectrum - the game sucks. If you want my big rant, check out the other galaxies thread. In a nutshell, the game fails to capture the spirit and tone of the movies, it's nothing more than poking womp-rats with a stick over and over again (or playing Fed Ex delivery boy), and it's just Everquest with Star Wars skins. That and the game is unbalanced and buggy as hell (or at least was a month ago when I played). People should not have to spend 15 bucks a month to play for playetsting privlages.

The game might be fun when the first expansion comes out - but right now it does not live up to the 2 years of hype.

Nonsense. There are a couple of icons that define Star Wars - and the lightsaber is one of them. Once you strip away all of the other flash gordon trappings, it's the Jedi, the cool saber duels and the blazing swords that stick in everyone's mind. To deny folks the ability to walk the path of the Jedi is just one more example in the long list of bad game design that is SW:G.

Should BEING a Jedi be easy? No - it should be a long and hard process. Should BECOMING a Jedi be easy? Yes - all characters should have that option open to them right off the bat.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 07-24-03 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-24-03, 10:37 AM
Banned

I already cancelled my account, the game is an empty shell. It has the best graphics of any of the MMORPG's, but there is very little to do. Right off the bat, I said hell no to crafting. I know some people enjoy that stuff, but that is not for me. I went strictly combat. It was fun for a few days, until you discover that there isnt much to fighting. Its very monotonous. All the bad guys will randomly appear, making the world seem unatural. YOu cold hang out at a cantina and 'role play', but that gets boring really quick. Even after you become your proffesion,( in my case I became a pistoleer), there is nothing to do afterwards. Oh and the worst part, there is no grouping in combat, so you are stuck to play this awful game alone. I dont see this game ever becoming good, it has too many flaws.
Old 07-24-03, 10:39 AM

If they offer a free trial like WW2 Online and The Sims Online do, I might give this game a try.
Old 07-24-03, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Oh one other telling point about the hard-core suck-ness of the game? I work in an office of geeks. Computer nerds, Star Wars geeks, EQ junkies, gamers and other fan-boys. When the beta discs started shipping wide spread, and they started showing up at work, EVERYone was jazzed about it. E-mail flew back and forth, we started planning out where to set up a town, alliances were set up and factions divided. Raiding parties were planned - you couldn't escape it. Around the water cooler, over the foosball table, at the break room.

And then, about as fast as the interest level shot up, the game died out. About a week later, after everyone had gotten a good, long look at the game, you could hear a pin drop when the conversation came up. By the end of 2 weeks everyone had gone back to normal - or what passes for normal around the office. I think by the time the beta servers had shut down, out of 20 or 30 people who had gotten in (or piggy backed on someone else's account), only 2 or 3 were still playing.

It takes a magnatude of suck unheard of to kill the intrest around my workplace, let me tell you.
Old 07-24-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had the game delivered to my doorstep on release day, and I created my account and was able to login(after only 9 hours!). I wasn't able to play at all for almost 2 days however, and my experience since then hasn't been too different. Each time I try to go and play I cannot connect, and when I do I get booted after 10 minutes. I truly wish LucasArts had held off on releasing this game. I plan on cancelling my account for now. 15 bucks a month is a bit steep for a game that I can barely play. I'd rather spend my money on Knights of the Old Republic for XBOX which is supposed to be spectacular.
Old 07-24-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I agree that taking away the ability to be a jedi only does two things:

1. gets more folks away from the game
2. increases the resell rate of JEDI accounts on ebay

it shouldn't be impossible to become a jedi.. it should be hard to stay alive and face the challanges being one brings. the bounty should be high on your head if you are discovered as a jedi.. but hell.. look at Jedi Knight 2 MP games. even though everyone has jedi powers the range they choose from keeps the battles interesting. perhaps the search for better powers could be a driving feature, either way.. Not having it a real option for normal folks to be a jedi doesn't appeal me to the game since I would have to spend to much time and money just to even start to become a jedi.
Old 07-25-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm curious to give this game a try but there are two problems....

One is that I'm not crazy about the idea of "pay to play". I know they have a dedicated server ( if that's what you call it) and that costs them money to run, but I don't like paying for something I already own.

And the other is that I looked at the specs on the game and my computer would need a MASSIVE upgrade to run. That or I'd have to buy a new, top of the line machine.
Old 07-26-03, 08:16 PM

Well, I'm sure y'all knew I'd show up again. I was in the beta, and I bought the game (after holding off for a couple of weeks to miss out on the initial server issues).

I am rarely unable to connect to my server of choice. Yes, it has happened, but I have 2 secondary characters on other servers/Galaxies that I can play with. Sure, that can be a hassle if I need to get to my main character to keep a mineral harvester from running out of power or something, and I offer no excuse here. It's not a perfect Internet.

A couple of things mentioned here:

-Yes, you can group for combat. What are you talking about?

-Game is not very buggy for me right now. No show-stoppers, and only a couple of small changes I'd like made.

-As I've said before... if you ONLY want to run around with a lightsaber killing people, go play KoTOR or Jedi Knight. That is not the focus here. This is a great game that gives you the opportunity to play the part of an everyday person in the Star Wars Universe, and I really enjoy that. My Artisan makes good products that serve people well. I have fun advertising and selling them, and I enjoy the combat system just fine when I go hunting for fun and profit.

-poking rats with sticks? You needed to get away from town more often. The wildlife is amazing, and there are very cool weapons to be had.

-No, everyone should not be a Jedi. I want it to stay REALLY rare.

I understand some of the opinions here, but it's a beautiful, complex game, and I really enjoy it.