DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   BestBuy Replacement Plan??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/306807-bestbuy-replacement-plan.html)

gate1975mlm 07-23-03 08:16 AM

BestBuy Replacement Plan???

Hey guys when I got my Xbox at BestBuy I got the Replacement Plan with it. Well my Xbox has not been working that great. If I bring my Xbox in will they replace it right away? Or will they try to fix it or something? Also do you think they would let me get a PS2 instead of an Xbox?

Groucho 07-23-03 08:29 AM

How old is the Xbox and what kinds of problems are you having?

goLUCKY 07-23-03 08:58 AM

I thought the Best Buy replacement place was a "no questions" plan. Call them and find out for sure!

Matt 07-23-03 09:16 AM

There are two Best Buy extended warranties--one is the "Performance Service Plan" (PSP); the other is the "Product Replacement Plan" (PRP).

Video game systems qualify for PRPs (which are good for two years from the date of purchase). If you have a problem with your system, theoretically, you're supposed to get a store credit in the amount of money that you spent on the item initially.

So, if you bought that XBox last Christmas for $200, and it's broken now, you should get a store credit for $200 that you can spend on whatever you want. If you want another XBox, you can do that (even though they're cheaper than $200 now). If you want a PS2 instead, you can do that. If you want $200 worth of CDs, you can do that. If you want to take that $200 and put it toward a $1500 television, you can do that, too.

(This is all theoretical, of course. If you get to the store and get the wrong employee at the wrong time, you may hear a totally different story.)

MrKen 07-23-03 09:48 AM

I had a friend who bought his PS2 from BB and got the service that Virex mentioned. He had to ship it out, and wait for a check, but in the end he got a check for the $300.00 he spent on the system back when it came out.

spainlinx0 07-23-03 12:08 PM

Really? It didn't work that way for my friend. We both bought the Xbox on release day, but his was having trouble reading discs, and just acting generally screwy so we brought it into the Best Buy for a replacement. They grabbed another Xbox off the shelf and gave it to him except for one detail, and this I could not believe. They took out the games inside the box and gave him the system without the box. I understand he didn't purchase the system with the games included, but he also paid 100 dollars more for the system than what it was selling for when replaced so I was quite shocked the CSR decided to pull that crap. I think it really depends on the CSR you get though because usually when I turn in a PRP it works out in my favor.

baap 07-23-03 02:07 PM

I got an Xbox for my birthday in March. It was giving me problems and I took it in. THey just told me to go and pick up a new one. They took out the stuff I didn't take with (controller and wires). It was really very simple and I was amazed at the customer service.

One thing though, your games will be lost unless you buy a memory card and save them all on their. They tried to do this for me but since I couldn't load any games, they couldn't just copy stuff off of the hard drive. Pretty big drawback if you ask me coz I would have paid the $25 for the card if it saved all my games.

The thing that made me really happy was that they gave me a gift card for $20 because the price has gone down from $200 to $180.

~~ PAL ~~ 07-23-03 03:00 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Really? It didn't work that way for my friend. We both bought the Xbox on release day, but his was having trouble reading discs, and just acting generally screwy so we brought it into the Best Buy for a replacement. They grabbed another Xbox off the shelf and gave it to him except for one detail, and this I could not believe. They took out the games inside the box and gave him the system without the box. I understand he didn't purchase the system with the games included, but he also paid 100 dollars more for the system than what it was selling for when replaced so I was quite shocked the CSR decided to pull that crap. I think it really depends on the CSR you get though because usually when I turn in a PRP it works out in my favor.
That just sounded like a crapload of BS. For all we know, the cashier could've pocketed the Sega GT/JSRF disc and went home with it. -rolleyes- Despite that you're supposed to return everything (controllers, cables, power supply, etc.), the freebies certainly aren't covered under their PRP.

Gideon68 07-23-03 09:41 PM

When they tried to sell me the Replacement plan, this is what they told me:

If you want a gift card for the value of the system you paid, send it in to the address on the replacement plan procedures. You can then buy anything you want with the store credit.

or

Take it back to the store and they will replace the system without having to send it in. You will not get the price difference in a gift card though. I guess baap got lucky with that. YMMV with that last part.

draggoon01 07-24-03 01:02 AM

what's to stop someone from buying and later making up a problem like occasional disc error?

Excelesor 07-24-03 01:34 AM

look at the back of the PRP (bestbuy extended service) it clearly says inside the brochure under "Replacement Coverage" This plan provides for replacement of the covered product found to be defective with a voucher (store credit) equal to the ORIGINAL purchase price. Basically they would rather you call there 1-800 and mail it away, but if you take it the store depending on who the employee ad manager is there they can just replace right there and then.

I bought my ps2 when it was $300, then in december is broke and I took it in and they turned it one and it said disc error. they said go grab a new one and that I will have an additional $100 since its only $200 (which I already knew and was planning to tell them that, but they were already on top of that). Long story short I walked out with a Xbox and ps2 for $100 plus tax

Superboy 07-24-03 01:57 AM

I got the $30 PRP for my PS2 JIC. I replaced it once already just to get the new version with the network adaptor, no fuss no muss. Took 5 minutes.

sniper308 07-24-03 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Superboy
I got the $30 PRP for my PS2 JIC. I replaced it once already just to get the new version with the network adaptor, no fuss no muss. Took 5 minutes.
They only replace it one time though correct? Meaning the PRP is good for one replacement, but now you cannot replace it again on the same PRP. I don't have mine in front of me to look at the wording.

Gideon68 07-25-03 12:00 AM

Once you use it you will need to buy another one for the new system.

gcribbs 07-25-03 12:37 AM

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
That just sounded like a crapload of BS. For all we know, the cashier could've pocketed the Sega GT/JSRF disc and went home with it. -rolleyes- Despite that you're supposed to return everything (controllers, cables, power supply, etc.), the freebies certainly aren't covered under their PRP.
I bet what really happened is that they put the old damaged xbox in the new box and sent it back to microsoft as a defect since it included everything it was supposed to in the box BB would get full credit for the defect.

His friend got a new XBox and microsoft took the loss on this defect and BB keeps the warranty money since they no longer have to replace it again.

Sounds like BB found a slick way to make money even when doing an exchange on a PRP :(