For all the PS2 Eye Toy fans/haters...

Old 07-22-03, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all the PS2 Eye Toy fans/haters...

The game is #1 in the U.K.!

Rob Fahey 11:14 22/07/2003

A lot of people are looking silly in front of their TVs this week

Eidos' Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness has dropped back into second place in the UK sales charts after only a two week stint at number one, while Sony's Eye Toy: Play has taken the top spot in its third week on sale.

In one of the quietest weeks of the year so far for new game releases, the webcam based Eye Toy title has cemented its position as one of the most successful games ever to use a proprietary peripheral, and looks set to be one of the hits of the summer.

Sony's Formula One 2003, meanwhile, has skyrocketed from last weeks number 31 to an altogether more respectable number four this week - suggesting that there were stocking problems with the title's official launch a fortnight ago.

The only other new entry on the chart is Capcom's Resident Evil: Dead Aim, which shambles in at number 29 (muttering "brains" under its breath, no doubt) - another title which we're sure was meant to be on shelves a fortnight ago, but is only charting properly this week.

Nintendo's Donkey Kong Country on the GBA has a far more respectable ranking this week as well, climbing to number 14 from number 27 last week.

Aside from the welcome success of Eye Toy, there's really absolutely nothing else happening in the chart this week, and in fact it's still largely dominated by licensed games from the last few months (Enter the Matrix at number three, Hulk at number six) and big titles from last Christmas (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets at number eight, GTA Vice City at nine, James Bond 007 Nightfire at 11...).

The highest ranked Xbox title is Brute Force, which is at number 31 in the charts. The highest ranked GameCube title is Sonic Adventure DX Directors Cut once again, and once again it's nowhere to be found in the all-formats top 40. Unless there's a major release for the Xbox or Cube in the next couple of weeks, we could be looking at a chart in the near future which doesn't have a single game on either of those platforms in the top 40. Owch.
Old 07-22-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

alcohol plus eye toy equals great party toy I bet. I would love to see drunk people playing with this.

Too bad I stopped drinking years ago.
Old 07-22-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alcahol and Eye Toy was discussed in a previous thread but I think it fell due to possible collateral damage.
Old 07-22-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being that its the only new thing for there entire week, I'm not surprised its #1. Give it a few more months to be on clearence.

Man, I really cannot wait till this thing hits America. I can't wait to see so many kids complaining what they can and can not do. So far, Ive had 3 kids and a parent 'tell me' what it is. Apparently, they think they can put there face in ANY PS2 game, as well as chat on AOL with it...hmm...
Old 07-22-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never rely on the UK sales charts... however, I think Eye Toy will catch on here pretty well (although I doubt it'll ever be #1). Resident Evil is a bit of a surprise... is it cuz it's not called Biohazard and they don't know what it is?
Old 07-22-03, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Being that its the only new thing for there entire week, I'm not surprised its #1. Give it a few more months to be on clearence.

Man, I really cannot wait till this thing hits America. I can't wait to see so many kids complaining what they can and can not do. So far, Ive had 3 kids and a parent 'tell me' what it is. Apparently, they think they can put there face in ANY PS2 game, as well as chat on AOL with it...hmm...
There's the hate I was looking for! PS2 is TEh DOOMZED! (even though no one will ever catch them this generation).

BTW, video chat is planned, and should be out soon after release, if not at release.

FS
Old 07-22-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by FlashStash
There's the hate I was looking for! PS2 is TEh DOOMZED! (even though no one will ever catch them this generation).

BTW, video chat is planned, and should be out soon after release, if not at release.

FS
I don't think that's what he was saying - i think he was commenting on stupid americans more than PS2 sux.
Old 07-22-03, 02:40 PM

It's along the same lines as Xbox and customizable soundtracks...it offers great potential but the game has to support it.
Old 07-22-03, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Trigger
I don't think that's what he was saying - i think he was commenting on stupid americans more than PS2 sux.
Search some of his other posts about PS2...that what he's saying

FS
Old 07-22-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, PS2 can pull off some things. The Eye Cam will never be one of them. It dosn't offer enough to keep kids here 'excited'. Japanese kids love cutsey things, while Americans don't. If Sony supported the Eye Cam a bit more (Put your face in Tony Hawk, make your OWN Mini-Games), then it might sell a bit better. But being only to play twelve mini-games (half of which will prob. suck), dosn't really fare well for it. Only time will tell.

BTW, How much is this thing be priced at? $40 or $50?
Old 07-22-03, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
But being only to play twelve mini-games (half of which will prob. suck)
No bias there, criticizing a game you've never played...

$40 according to EBgames.com...

FS
Old 07-22-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So could you take a picture of your butt and put it in the game as a player face? I'll get this if it is cheap. Sounds like a great party game and one that will atrract non-gamer types. I can see this being advertised in Cosmo and other non-gaming magazines to attract people to the PS2.
Old 07-22-03, 04:02 PM
Retired

I never rely on the UK sales charts... however, I think Eye Toy will catch on here pretty well (although I doubt it'll ever be #1). Resident Evil is a bit of a surprise... is it cuz it's not called Biohazard and they don't know what it is?
I thought the RE games were only released as Biohazard in Japan and RE in the U.S., Europe and Australia?
Old 07-22-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's not really a bias.. statistics show that MORE than half of all games suck, on EVERY system ever.. except maybe the SNES, Saturn, and Dreamcast.
Old 07-22-03, 04:59 PM
Retired

Still, it's lame to bash a game you have played (or a movie you haven't watched, a song you haven't heard etc).

I mean I hate Sim games and online games, but I'm not going to say the Sims Online sucks, because I haven't played.

All I can say is I have no desire to play it because it's not my type of game.
Old 07-22-03, 05:12 PM
Banned

I remember there being a few games on the PS2 which already have support for putting your face on the character. The Eye Toy would be perfect for these games. Does anyone remember what games these were?
Old 07-22-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Still, it's lame to bash a game you have played (or a movie you haven't watched, a song you haven't heard etc).

I mean I hate Sim games and online games, but I'm not going to say the Sims Online sucks, because I haven't played.

All I can say is I have no desire to play it because it's not my type of game.
But you are going to say that you hate online gaming if someone starts a Sims Online thread... just like you're going to say that you don't like FPS games when someone starts a thread about a FPS... just like you are going to say how much you dislike PC gaming when someone starts talking about a PC game.

"All I can say is I have no desire to play it because it's not my type of game." - that's the most rational and reasonable threadcrap I've ever read from you.
Old 07-22-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw eye toy at E3 and it got alot of curious attention... Something like this would be better for the Xbox with the built-in hard drive and stuff.
Old 07-22-03, 09:44 PM
Retired

But you are going to say that you hate online gaming if someone starts a Sims Online thread... just like you're going to say that you don't like FPS games when someone starts a thread about a FPS... just like you are going to say how much you dislike PC gaming when someone starts talking about a PC game.

"All I can say is I have no desire to play it because it's not my type of game." - that's the most rational and reasonable threadcrap I've ever read from you.
And this had what to do with this thread.

I'll admit I've posted some thread craps from time to time, but not recently.

I may not like PC games, but I'll occasionaly click on a PC gaming thread. For instance, the last PC thread I posted in was your "Return of PC Gaming Glory thread." If you just titled it something more general saying you were excited about the PC games coming out, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. But with the title I was intrigued, and interested to see what could lead to a return of PC gaming glory. Then I saw the game list (mostly FPSs) and posted that I didn't think that would lead to a return to glory, but rather would just excite people who have been into PC games for years. It's not likely to bring back people that quit PC gaming, or bring in people that never got into it in the first place.

At any rate, to quit rambling, my point is that you don't have to play something to discuss it, especially when it's an interesting topic or someones making a claim as in the example above. That's entirely different from bashing a specific game that you haven't even played. Like I said, I played the Sims and didn't like it, played online games and didn't enjoy it, but I'm still not going to say The Sims Online sucks because I've never played it. If someone started a "Sims Online Discussion Thread" I wouldn't even think of clicking on it. If someone started a thread title "Sims online is the best game ever and will revolutionize gamig" I'd probably be intrigued enough to click on it and maybe through in my 2 cents.

But as I've said before, if my posting habits annoy you feel free to use the handy ignore user feature. Otherwise, just grin and bear it and quit wasting my time, the other members time, and server space with antagonizing off topic replys.
Old 07-22-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dude, you're the one making a big deal out of it... I was just commenting on what you said - making observations - and complimenting you on saying something rational and appropriate... now you're just flipping out. Anyway - I'll gladly go back to disregarding your posts.

Anyway - Does T.H.U.G. support Eye Toy? Anyone know?
Old 07-22-03, 10:09 PM
Retired

I didn't flip out. I just didn't see any need for you critizing my posting style or whatever before the "compliment." Nor any need for the post at all since it had nothing to do with being a "fan/hater" of the eye toy.
Old 07-23-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They definitely need to allow you to put your face on characters. I would probably buy it for that feature alone. It would probably look pretty cheesy and low-res but I would have to just for the goofiness factor.
Old 07-23-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder why discussing the EyeToy always brings out the best in people? Wonder why pixyboi hasn't chimed in?

I think this is also a test vehicle for potential future control methods. For example: in the future you could have any controller configuration you wanted without having a physical controller. If that makes sense. Hopefully they'll have in-store demos where you can try this out before buying it.
Old 07-23-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this thing compatible with Police 911 (aka Police 24/7)? You know, the gun game where you can move your body to dodge incoming fire? I love that freaking game, but they never brought it over to the USA despite being out in Japan/Europe for a long time.
Old 07-23-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$40 according to EBgames.com...

FS
Sorry Flash, played this retarded peice of hardware at E3. Try again though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.