Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ghost Recon?

Old 07-18-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost Recon?

At my local GameStop they have a few copys of Ghost Recon in the bargain bin.

I played Rainbow Six and wasn't crazy about it. Controling the squads was too difficult and I got tired of getting shot in the back. So I'm leary of getting another Clancy squad based game.

What type of game is Ghost Recon? Are the controls easier or about the same as Rainbow Six? And more importantly, do your "teamates" fight indenpendantly like in, say Operation Flashpoint, or do they just stand there like a giant bullseye?
Old 07-18-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
For what system? Xbox? Cuz the Xbox version of Ghost Recon is awesome. Addictive gameplay and the controls are very good. Plus, the online play can't be beat for consoles IMO... until Counter Strike is released that is.
Old 07-18-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its for PC.
Old 07-18-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet. Get it. The PC version is awesome.

Don't worry about your bad experiences with Rainbow Six. The controls are very easy and you're teammates are pretty good. If leave them alone somewhere you won't come back to find them lying in a pile like you might in R6. You can give orders to them on the fly too and that helps.

If you get it try to get the Desert Seige expansion pack too. It is very sweet. Island Thunder wasn't as good though.
Old 07-18-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Oh - well I only played the PC demo version, but it was cool. I prefer the xbox version actually, but the PC version had better graphics and similar gameplay. It's alot like Rainbow 6, but with better graphics and less clipping... plus, I prefer the missions in GR to Rainbow 6.

In the Xbox version - you have 2 squads of 3... you control one of the squads in first person - they follow you and fire when you need them to... they behave the way you tell them to as well. Squad 2 will go wherever you tell them to on the map. You should like it better than Rainbow 6 - cuz I had the same problems with rainbow 6 that you did and I like GR alot.
Old 07-18-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
Sweet. Get it. The PC version is awesome.

Don't worry about your bad experiences with Rainbow Six. The controls are very easy and you're teammates are pretty good. If leave them alone somewhere you won't come back to find them lying in a pile like you might in R6. You can give orders to them on the fly too and that helps.

If you get it try to get the Desert Seige expansion pack too. It is very sweet. Island Thunder wasn't as good though.

That's too funny!!

Okay cool. Thanks guys. One of the reasons I like Op Flashpoint is that your AI teamates will fight back when fired on. This sounds good. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-19-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just installed the game. Is there any way to get out of first person mode?
Old 07-19-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
There is a PC version out that has both expansion games with it (I think it is about $30). This game is awesome in multiplayer.
Old 07-19-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay apparently there's no third person view. And the controls are overly complicated ( or at least too complex for my liking).

Three options for this game are.....
1. return
2. Ebay
3. trash can

Good thing it was only $10.
Old 07-19-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's complicated about the controls and why would you want to play in 3rd person?
Old 07-19-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
What's complicated about the controls and why would you want to play in 3rd person?
I found getting the different teams to do the simplist of tasks to be frustrating.

And why would I want to play in 3rd person? I've never been a big FPS fan. Third person lets me see more of the game environment. Distance between me and a teamate, distance between different objects.

I guess I expected more of a SOCOM style game. And I got Rainbow Six "Outdoorsman" if you get my drift.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 07-19-03 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-20-03, 01:34 AM
Mod Emeritus

The controls are definitely no more complex than SOCOM though, no? At least for the Xbox they aren't.
Old 07-20-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
The controls are definitely no more complex than SOCOM though, no? At least for the Xbox they aren't.
Well I'm playing this on PC, not XBox or PS2. Some people might have found the command controls easy but I'm finding them extremely difficult to manage. SOCOM has the benefit of being able to visibley "guide" your Bravo team to a destination by way of a "Run to Crosshairs" command. Also the command menu is more clearly laid out on screen. I understand the difference between the differnce between the PS2/XBox controller and a computer keyboard. But by comparison, the controls in Operation Flashpoint (a PC game I happen to love, probably the first mind you), are an absolute breeze. Plus the team AI will make your squad fight independantly if they need to. No standing around like ducks in a shooting gallery. Your team will even fire on you, the player, if you start shooting at "friendlys".

I expected something different, but it seems all the problems I've had with Rainbow Six are reinforced here.