Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

i need help on getting a system!!!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-13-03, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i have a gamecube. i have no problems with it cause it has all the mario titles to it. but i the most of my gaming is sports. should i get a ps2 or xbox for my sports games. gamecube doesn't have the variety that the other two systems have and is the online gameplay worth on ps2 and xbox? what do you all think? i'm tempted to by the other system just mainly for sports games, but i need some opinions.

also, i have an hdtv. and i read all the warnings about playing video games on it with scoreboards and stuff for the burn in issue. so if i play ncaa 2004 for an hour or two will that cause burn in? what have you experienced on playing video games on an hdtv?

thanks for your help!!
Old 07-13-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: i need help on getting a system!!!

Originally posted by crow121
but i the most of my gaming is sports. should i get a ps2 or xbox for my sports games.

if you wanna play games online get a PS2

if you dont wanna play online get an XBox

the HDTV stuff i have no clue about
Old 07-13-03, 10:21 PM
Banned

PS2 is the only console you can play EA Sports titles online. If you don't want to play online, go with the X-box because it should have the best graphics. As for burn-in, its not really an issue because of how much the screen changes.
Old 07-13-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

as above... EA = PS2

unless you want to play Moto GP2. then you definitely need the xbox and xbox live.
Old 07-13-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: i need help on getting a system!!!

Originally posted by crow121
so i have a gamecube. i have no problems with it cause it has all the mario titles to it. but i the most of my gaming is sports. should i get a ps2 or xbox for my sports games. gamecube doesn't have the variety that the other two systems have and is the online gameplay worth on ps2 and xbox? what do you all think? i'm tempted to by the other system just mainly for sports games, but i need some opinions.

also, i have an hdtv. and i read all the warnings about playing video games on it with scoreboards and stuff for the burn in issue. so if i play ncaa 2004 for an hour or two will that cause burn in? what have you experienced on playing video games on an hdtv?

thanks for your help!!
All EA games should be identical on both systems except for the online component.

I'll Recommend the PS2 for EAsports online games.

I'll Recommend the Xbox for:
better graphics even though there is still no 1080i sports game.
Xbox Live and XSNSports (realtime score tracking for you and your friends).

I've played my xbox on my HD-Mitibishi for a year and a half now with no problems.
Old 07-14-03, 03:54 AM
Banned

Personally, I like my sports games on PS2. Maybe it's the controller.
Old 07-14-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
xbox and ps2 are both great for sports games. EA won't be supporting online play for their Xbox games - only PS2. XSN from what I saw at E3 should really make that a moot point. Aside from that, Xbox has better graphics and more features. PS2 has more games overall. Go to a Best Buy or something and grab the controllers and see which one you like better. The Xbox controller is closer to the GCN controller than the PS2 is.
Old 07-14-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
oh yeah - forgot to answer the other question... a couple hours gaming isn't gonna cause burn-in. As long as you change games or watch TV or whatever, it's no worse for your TV than watching the same channel all day (with the station ID in the bottom corner). I have a HDTV and have had no problems yet after a year and a half.
Old 07-14-03, 07:38 AM

I feel that 2k3 is better than Madden. I use to love Madden until I played 2k for the Dreamcast. I didn't play the last Madden on PS2 but the one before was horrible.

If you wan't to game online with the Xbox Nfl fever and 2k3 have that feature. I personally wasn't a big fan of Fever but their starting an online league with divisions where you can check stats and league leaders. Might be cool
Old 07-15-03, 11:59 AM

is ps2 online worth it? other than online tournaments what elese is there? could i just go with xbox live for the better graphics on sports games or do i have to pay a fee for online games? thanks
Old 07-15-03, 12:11 PM

For Xbox live I think it's $50 a year
Old 07-16-03, 10:16 AM

crow,

I've played both the PS2 online and XboxLIVE and Xbox LIVE is by far a better choice. Everything just seems to work more smoothly on Xbox LIVE and the downloadable content is great.

I don't play any sports games, but I've heard from the players on LIVE that the sports games on LIVE equal those that EA has.

I can say that Mechassault, MotoGP, Ghost Recon and Wolfenstein ROCK!! Mechassault is my favorite, it has just the right game speed and is very easy to learn for beginners.

If you go with the Xbox and buy the LIVE kit, your fee for one year has already been paid. And it's $50 a year after that. I think that the price of the Xbox LIVE kit is going to $70 this Fall.