Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Those turn-based strategy games (Advance Wars, etc.)

Old 07-13-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those turn-based strategy games (Advance Wars, etc.)

With all the hoopla concerning this game I finally decided to check it out and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I was so hooked that I picked up Advance Wars 2 as well and I'm enjoying that too. This was a genre that I hadn't played for a long while and I remember not liking it very much way back when.

Now, that I've found out that it can actually be fun and addictive does anyone have any other recommendations for this type of game?
Old 07-13-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Strategy genre is more suited for the PC due to the keyboard/mouse interface. On consoles, strategy games that are built from the ground up are better than PC ports, although they're a rare breed.

On GBA, you also want to check out Orge Battle and the upcoming FF Tactics and Onimusha Tactics.
Old 07-13-03, 06:59 PM

My two favorite turn-based strategy games are both for the PC: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Heroes of Might & Magic II. I haven't played Advance Wars (I have the ROM somewhere though), but from what I understand, neither of these 2 games are anything like it. They aren't even anything like each other, but they're still awesome and worth picking up. If you're lucky, you can find a copy of SMAC in the discount CD-ROM section of your local Best Buy or CompUSA. Heroes II can be found in one of several Heroes of Might & Magic bundles.
Old 07-13-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2.
Old 07-13-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The PC was where I first tried the games a long time ago. I guess they were a bit too complex for me. What I liked about Advance Wars was that it broke the genre down to its simplest components. I keep trying to give Final Fantasy Tactics a playthtough but for some reason it never keeps my interest.
Old 07-13-03, 07:54 PM

On the GBA, Tactics Ogre.

Upcoming on consoles is a tactical RPG: Gladius. There was a demo in a recent OXM.
Old 07-13-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tactics Ogre for the GBA is pretty sweet. It's very involved so be ready to invest a lot of time in it. Final Fantasy Tactics should be good as well. Anyone know when that's getting released?

All the other real gems are on the PC though. As someone mentioned already, Alpha Centauri is fantastic. Civ. 2 is very good as well despite it's age. Steer clear of Civ. 3 though.

The PC was where I first tried the games a long time ago. I guess they were a bit too complex for me. What I liked about Advance Wars was that it broke the genre down to its simplest components.
That's a nice way to describe Advance Wars. I too appreciate the simplicity but I also appreciate the complexity of classic TBS games. I suggest you give Alpha Centauri a try. One of the strong points of that game is its complexity.
Old 07-13-03, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2.
The Golden Suns aren't even close to the Turn-Based Strategy category; they're straight-up Japanse RPGs.

One noteworthy series not mentioned yet is the Vandal Heart series on Playstation.
Old 07-13-03, 09:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Master of Orion is great. I have heard the 3rd is just OK, not sure about the 2nd but I enjoyed the first one immensely.
Old 07-14-03, 01:20 AM

The Advance Wars games are great, but they're basically just a rehash of the Military Madness / Nectaris games from the TG-16 and PS1. If you want something very similar to Advance Wars, any of the games from that series are worth playing.

If you're looking to try a combination of TBS and RPG, Front Mission 3 on the PS1 is excellent.
Old 07-14-03, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Front Mission 3 is good, but it's extremely short.
Old 07-14-03, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by tomwaits
The Advance Wars games are great, but they're basically just a rehash of the Military Madness / Nectaris games from the TG-16 and PS1.
Actually, Advance Wars is a sequel to a Japanese NES game called "Famicom Wars" which predates the games you mention by several years.
Old 07-14-03, 08:54 AM

Would the Civilization series of games count? Or are you looking for only the military part?
Old 07-14-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Worms World Party
Old 07-14-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best turn-based games on the PC are also franchises:
Master of Orion (2nd one is best)
Civilization (2nd one is best)
Heroes of Might & Magic (3rd is best)
Alpha Centauri

turn based games on consoles are fine, but are overly simplistic compared to PC turn based games (which is either a good or bad thing, depending on your personal preferences)
Old 07-14-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
HOMM is absolutely brilliant and very very addictive. I'll pick up 4 eventually, but for the moment, 3 is near perfect. Great graphic, challenge, strategy, variable difficulty levels, and tons and tons of maps.
Old 07-14-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Heroes of Might and Magic

I'm suprised that a compilation for HOMM4 is not available yet...
Old 07-14-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

X-Com: UFO Defense is the single greatest turn based game ever. It is an old one so see what you need to get it to run on your PC, but there isn't a better one around.

I would also second (or third) Alpha Centauri, but X-Com was still better.
Old 07-14-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
X-Com: UFO Defense is the single greatest turn based game ever. It is an old one so see what you need to get it to run on your PC, but there isn't a better one around.
I think that was the actually the one I played way back when. That was at a time when I expected my computer games to be a bit more action-oriented and fast-paced so it kind of threw me off. I gave the demo of Alpha Centauri a go when it was released and I swear I'm just not smart enough for that game. Perhaps I have enough patience now to give it a go again.
Old 07-14-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fire of Emblem is great game too
Old 07-14-03, 05:10 PM

I liked Advance Wars 1 and 2, but nothing beats Military Madness and the PS sequel, Nectaris.
Old 07-14-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Age of Wonders series is very good also, if you want a swords and sorcery setting.
Old 07-14-03, 05:34 PM

I thought the Age of Wonders games were RTS? Am I wrong?
Old 07-14-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by warcp
...nothing beats Military Madness...
We have a winner!!!
Old 07-14-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Groucho
I thought the Age of Wonders games were RTS? Am I wrong?
So did I. Someone confirm, because I would love another great turn based game.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.