DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Aliens vs Predators 2, anybody playing? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/304535-aliens-vs-predators-2-anybody-playing.html)

bigsoos 07-11-03 03:16 PM

Aliens vs Predators 2, anybody playing?

Is this game worth getting? I've only heard about the first one.

Trigger 07-11-03 03:20 PM

isn't it old? I bought it when it came out and played it. Better than the first one I thought.

nemein 07-11-03 03:29 PM

It's probably a couple of years old now, there's already an expansion pack out. I'm waiting for the "Gold" version to come out and hit the magic $20 mark before I pick it up ;)

joeblow69 07-11-03 03:55 PM

Originally posted by nemein
It's probably a couple of years old now, there's already an expansion pack out. I'm waiting for the "Gold" version to come out and hit the magic $20 mark before I pick it up ;)
Well then head down to best buy, because I just saw the Gold version there for $20 the other day.

nemein 07-11-03 04:57 PM

Actually I just noticed that on my way home too :D Amazon has it for ~$1 less (and 3x the points ;)) though. bigsoos to answer your question I will be soon :cool:

Cuman 07-11-03 07:16 PM

yeah picked up the gold edition at BB a whiles back for 20 bux. comes with the game and the expansion. Decent enough for 20 bux...human and pred are kinda like most other fps games, but playing as the alien is pretty cool. You start off as a face hugger, you gotta find a host, then you turn into that little worm thing and then a drone alien and that's as far as I got.,,though I think you can evolve into a bigger alien. Fun enough but wouldn't pay more than 20 bux for it.

Jackskeleton 07-11-03 07:38 PM

It's pretty good stuff. I enjoyed it and it really was neat for a while in a LAN.

El Kabong 07-11-03 08:56 PM

Do you mean AvP2 or the new AvP:Extinction that's coming out for XBOX in 2 weeks? I'd like to know what the new one is like.

nemein 10-18-03 10:26 AM

Well finally dusted it off and started playing it... I have to say my initial reaction (having only played part of the human story line) is that I liked the first one better. While there are some nice additions (better graphics, "hacking/torch" to get past some areas) there are more things I'm not really enjoying. Low light everywhere... granted they give you a shoulder lamp and night vision but it runs on a limited (self-recharging atleast) battery so there are constant breaks in the action while you wait for it to recharge. For a few areas low/no light is fine, for most of the game so far it's getting tedious. Considering I think part of the problem of where I'm stuck[1] is due to the low light so I can't see the "out" :( Overall the least liked new feature though is the storyline/overall structure. With the original the different "levels" laid out before hand and the "unlocking" was kind of fun. This is one continuous story line that quite frankly at times as been rather dull as you search around for the answer to the "puzzle". AvP IMHO is supposed to be about going in and blowing things up :D not searching around for a working elevator or a computer disk :( Still overall it's probably worth about $15-$20 esp if you like the genre.

[1]
Spoiler:
I'm to the point after being held captive that I'm back at the POC looking for the white team. After activitating the sentry guns I ended up in an area w/ a ladder that leads to an elevator. I take the elevator up, a body drops on the floor in front of me, several aliens attack and then it's hard to figure out because of the light but it seems the elevators drops out from under me. Anyway no matter what I try to do I end up dying. Granted I haven't experimented too long w/ it but it's hard to see anything because of the low light so I think I'm missing the "out" somewhere... :(

Vegas9203 10-18-03 08:10 PM

i really enjoy the multiplayer aspects better than the single player. Using Roger Wilco voicechat with a friend, is really awesome, especially if you think the Colonial Marines are as badass as I do. There are some great skins out there that look very much like the main characters in Aliens also. I highly recommed this for Aliens fans if you can get online with a friend or two.