DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   What RPGs do you recommend for the PC? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/304343-what-rpgs-do-you-recommend-pc.html)

GatorDeb 07-10-03 04:58 PM

What RPGs do you recommend for the PC?

I'm getting into PC gaming for the first time :) What RPGs do you recommend? I tend to like turn-based more than adventure-types, but am open to suggestions.

Groucho 07-10-03 04:59 PM

The PC isn't really a very good system for RPG's.

GatorDeb 07-10-03 05:00 PM

:p

Groucho 07-10-03 05:04 PM

Seriously, though...

A good start might be Fallout/Fallout 2. You can pick these up in the bargain bin for $10 as a 2-pack. There's also:

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
Neverwinter Nights
Morrowind
Arcanum

And many more. A lot of these have expansion packs as well.

I'm focusing on RPG's that will play on a newer PC, of course. There are a ton of great old DOS ones that are a pain to run on XP systems.

GatorDeb 07-10-03 05:06 PM

Let's say you have Morrowind for the XBOX and BG for the PS2..... are their PC counterparts different enough to warrant $10-$20?

Galanthas 07-10-03 05:26 PM

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the PS2 is completely different compared to it's PC counterpart.

karnblack 07-10-03 05:40 PM

Morrowind on the PC is pretty much the same as the Xbox version, but you could get the expansions on the PC. I think they're releasing the expansions on the Xbox this fall as a standalone game though.

You may like Dungeon Siege or Diablo I & II. They're closer in gameplay style to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance than Baldur's Gate for the PC is.

Also, Icewind Dale I & II are great.

stingo 07-10-03 05:41 PM

Dungeon Siege and Diablo II would also make my list...

and if you want to go massively multiplayer online, I'd suggest Everquest. (if you decide to go the EQ route, can arrange to help you - I play on Rodcet Nife)

Jackskeleton 07-10-03 05:50 PM

fallout is on sell at target for 6.50 for both parts 1 and 2. best 7 bucks I have spent in a while.

Excelesor 07-10-03 05:52 PM

another massively mutilplayer online would be star wars: galaxies

Jackskeleton 07-10-03 05:52 PM

I would also suggest trying a MMORPG talk about hours and hours of online RPGing.. :p

mwj 07-10-03 08:00 PM

Temple of Elemental Evil is coming out Q3/2003 from Troika. It's turn based 3rd Ed. D&D.

Joshic 07-10-03 10:30 PM

Of all the RPGs I have played on the PC (and I have been playing them since late 1980s) I would say that one of the best ones in recent memory is Planescape: Torment.

This game mostly follows the Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition rules, has pretty good graphics, can run on almost any computer (all you need is something like 200Mhz or higher), it super-cheap at around $10, and this game has the best story I have ever experienced in an RPG EVER.

I've played all the Ultimas, Baldurs Gates, Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Fallout 1&2, Icewind Dales, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights. Many others. Planescape: Torment has the best story ever. It is on my top 10 list of best games of all time and probably #1 for best RPG of all time.

nickdawgy 07-11-03 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
fallout is on sell at target for 6.50 for both parts 1 and 2. best 7 bucks I have spent in a while.
awesome deal for some great, great games. FO Tactics is great too, but FO2 is probably the best game I have ever played in my life.