Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Not Carrying High-Profile PC Games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-03, 09:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

What's the deal?

I went into my local Best Buy last night to pick up the new Pirates of the Carribean game for PC. It wasn't in their ad, but it's a fairly high-profile title tied in with a hit movie which came out yesterday.

They didn't have it. They didn't even have the Xbox version. Not sold out...they simply didn't carry it.

When I got home I checked their website. They had the Xbox version listed, but to my surprise Best Buy isn't carrying the PC game AT ALL.

So again I ask, what's the deal?
Old 07-10-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BB has always been flakey with the video games sections. Whenever something I want is not on the shelf I always ask them to check the computer and the back room. One of the problems is that they are under-staffed in the media section which covors music, movies, and games... console and PC. They hardly have time to put out the movies and music, so games always take a back-seat. In this instance, if you asked them to check and they didn't even carry it, well then that is odd. The only things that I have had that problem with are limited release and/or independent type stuff... usually music or movies.
Old 07-10-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Having someone check is also problematic. The computer system sucks for looking up PC games. There is no method for looking them up by title. I worked there for several years and recently worked there part time and I still could not find a method to PC game listings in the computer.
Old 07-10-03, 12:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I did ask and the clerk did the same thing as me...scanned the shelves. She then asked "Do you mean the DVD?" () Then she said "I think that's a PS2 game...try over there." ()

So I didn't actually have her look it up in the system. But the fact that it isn't listed on their website at all makes me think that there was a corporate decision somewhere not to carry the game.
Old 07-10-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I had a BB employee once tell me not to buy an internal CD-RW drive over an external CD-RW drive because when the disc is being burned, shards of it fly off the disc at high speeds and can damage the internal workings of your PC.
Old 07-10-03, 01:07 PM
razorbackfan

Originally posted by Trigger
I had a BB employee once tell me not to buy an internal CD-RW drive over an external CD-RW drive because when the disc is being burned, shards of it fly off the disc at high speeds and can damage the internal workings of your PC.
I hate it when that happens. I had a BB employee try to sell me 100 of the most expensive CD-R's they stock over the one's they had on sale because the more expensive ones would "play louder".
Old 07-10-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is kind of true, but it's because of bad media. I remember reading stories of cdr's coming apart inside drives. This only happened with the high speed drives of 40x and above.
Old 07-10-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
That is kind of true, but it's because of bad media. I remember reading stories of cdr's coming apart inside drives. This only happened with the high speed drives of 40x and above.
He didn't mean breaking apart in the drive, he meant that the laser burning the disk had waste come off and damage the system. In other words the BB employee was talking out his a$$ and didn't know anything... pretty standard for the majority of BB employees.

Make the employee go into the stock room and look for you. Heck, they are supposed to be pushing what you want to buy... as well as Netflix (argh don't even get me started), so they should have no problem doing this.
Old 07-10-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're lucky - the game is no good. The interface is terrible, I've died 8 times in the first 20 minutes, and I don't even feel an urge to try again. And this coming from someone who loved Pirates! back in the day. It seems that you spend half your time at sea in a "storm mode" that's about as exciting as watching paint dry. I never bothered to engage another ship simply because my own was always so damaged from storms.

And I can't stress enough how bad the interface is.
Old 07-10-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.powerlabs.org/movies/cd.mpg

if you watch closely, you can see shards fly off the disk at high speeds. I'm not sure what kind of speed we are talking about though......