DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Question about a Modified Xbox (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/304174-question-about-modified-xbox.html)

The Recipient 07-09-03 09:03 PM

Question about a Modified Xbox

I found someone selling a modified Xbox, with the description being:

"Xbox with all hardware, up to 60 new Xbox games, 120gig hard drive,4000+ emulators games, and software. play everything DVDr,DVDrw,CDrw, + more features."

It is being sold for $390

Does anyone know if this 'SOUNDS' legite. I am not a gamer, but this seems like to good of a deal to pass up.

GatorDeb 07-09-03 09:08 PM

It blares illegal from all points. It's illegal to sell the software if he doesn't have a license. That's the most blaring part of that.

Feneant 07-09-03 09:16 PM

for that price, 58 or 59 of the games are copies (he might have JSRF or Amped...) and illegal and probably all of the emulated games are ilegal.

al_bundy 07-09-03 09:34 PM

I'm also pretty sure that MS will not let you play on Live with a modded X-Box.

Daryl 07-09-03 09:52 PM

Originally posted by al_bundy
I'm also pretty sure that MS will not let you play on Live with a modded X-Box.
Not entirely true as most modded XBox's have a switch that will turn off the mod - allowing you to play online (requiring a "legit" copy of the game you want to play online). Nevertheless, to the original post, as stated early, this deal is almost certainly filled with 50+ copied games. Knowing that, it is up to your own judgment whether you want to go this route or not.

taxidriver6 07-09-03 09:54 PM

Most of the newer modchips will allow you to "turn off" the chip so it won't be detected by Live. You can replace the original Xbox hard drive which is usually 8-10GB with one much larger. Max size the system will accept is 137GB. Most go with 120GB to maximize space. With that much space, you can "back-up" between 50 and 60 games on the HD and play them all directly from system.

Search Google under "Xbox Mods" for more info...

Save Ferris 07-09-03 09:57 PM

go to www.xbox-scene.com

jawn 07-09-03 10:21 PM

No matter how you feel about copying games, you shouldn't support people trying to make money off the copied games. That's just wrong...

Gromit 07-10-03 08:21 AM

Legit from a legal standpoint, no (although I guess it's possible that the Xbox games are the originals). Legit as in is it technically possible, yes.

gh0stfaceX 07-10-03 09:22 PM

about 3-4 people in my frat has these. Its basically a gamer's dream. they have like 20 or so xbox games (the newest ones, even the new soul caliber II), 3000+ mame arcade games (the list is crazy, like 10 versions of street fighter, mortal kombat, etc and all the classics like raiden), all the best snes (all zeldas and metroids, marios and everythign else) and n64 games (smash, mario kart, waverace etc), and all the capcom arcade games, etc.

Its pretty amazing when you look @ it.

duy37 07-11-03 01:40 AM

yep, thanks to Microsoft and Sony for allowing hackers to create modchips. Sega too with Dreamcast. Looks like Nintendo is the smartest one there since I haven't heard anybody hacking a Gamecube.

RyoHazuki 07-11-03 03:58 AM

Where exactly did you come across this Xbox?

Corky Roxbury 07-11-03 07:12 AM

I think if you want to buy go ahead, it is worth it, the modchip would cost you $50, the HDD is around $100, and $180 for an xbox,, and you get alot of games.

I have my modded, and fine nothing wrong with it, I did so I do not have to have to get up a change the games(I still own the orginals), and I like to play SNES, without going upstairs to my bedroom

Creek Rat 07-11-03 07:23 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Where exactly did you come across this Xbox?
Seems like everytime I turn on TechTV they are hacking an X-Box. Check out their web site for step-by-steps.

DVDTalker002 07-11-03 10:59 PM

I can get the same thing for 270 not really that great of deal. Well you wouldnt get the games with it.

V-ism 07-12-03 05:45 AM

Originally posted by duy37
yep, thanks to Microsoft and Sony for allowing hackers to create modchips. Sega too with Dreamcast. Looks like Nintendo is the smartest one there since I haven't heard anybody hacking a Gamecube.
They don't exactly "allow" them. They do everything they can to fight piracy. Websites are going down all the time that sell them. No matter what they do, people will figure out a way to get around it. Sega made a disc that was unreadable in PC CD-Roms, and someone figured out how by hacking a certain CD drive. Sony worked really hard on their security, and it shows when alot of the modchips require 20+ wires. Nintendo so far has been unaffected. It's not like people aren't trying. Modding the Gamecube to play other region games is very easy. The problem is the disc. They made a disc format that is unreadable on computers and an irregular size. I have heard that people have figured out how to rip the discs already, but have no way to write it. I don't think Nintendo will be unaffected for long.

discostu1337 07-12-03 08:07 AM

all the GC games are ripped, but yes, no way to burn/play them yet.

RyoHazuki 07-13-03 05:53 PM

Is there a place to buy these pre-modded. Not that I would buy one. Im just uh...........doing a report on ....................a friend wanted to know...........well..............there was this bet i had going...........just tell me if there is.

Gallant Pig 07-13-03 06:10 PM

Just do a google search. It might get messy posting locations if they games pre-ripped, wouldn't be appropriate for posting here.

Thanks

RyoHazuki 07-13-03 11:58 PM

Re: Question about a Modified Xbox

Originally posted by The Recipient
I found someone selling a modified Xbox, with the description being:

"Xbox with all hardware, up to 60 new Xbox games, 120gig hard drive,4000+ emulators games, and software. play everything DVDr,DVDrw,CDrw, + more features."

It is being sold for $390

Does anyone know if this 'SOUNDS' legite. I am not a gamer, but this seems like to good of a deal to pass up.

I looked and I could not find one this cheap. Maybe you could e-mail me where you found it. :)

duy37 07-14-03 02:46 AM

Originally posted by V-ism
They don't exactly "allow" them. They do everything they can to fight piracy. Websites are going down all the time that sell them. No matter what they do, people will figure out a way to get around it. Sega made a disc that was unreadable in PC CD-Roms, and someone figured out how by hacking a certain CD drive. Sony worked really hard on their security, and it shows when alot of the modchips require 20+ wires. Nintendo so far has been unaffected. It's not like people aren't trying. Modding the Gamecube to play other region games is very easy. The problem is the disc. They made a disc format that is unreadable on computers and an irregular size. I have heard that people have figured out how to rip the discs already, but have no way to write it. I don't think Nintendo will be unaffected for long.
Your right man, these companies do try to fight piracy, but come on, how is Nintendo the only one to come up with these little discs that you can't buy and write to. With Nintendo, they just focus on games, Xbox and PS2 you got it trying to be a PC with their DVD capabilites and of course, hackers will eventually figure it out.

I don't really care if Sony or Microsoft are losing sales due to piracy. First of all, the industry makes a ton of money off parents buying games for their children anyways. I seriously doubt if piracy didnt exist they would charge less than 39.99/49.99 for new game. It will be interesting when the next generation consoles come out if modchips will be possible.