DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   No Quantum Redshift 2? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/303856-no-quantum-redshift-2-a.html)

Trigger 07-08-03 03:14 PM

No Quantum Redshift 2?

I know this is kinda old news (late feb of this year), but Curly Monsters closed its doors - that meant no more Quantum Redshift 2. This was 4 and a half months ago, but is there any new news on this? I'd hate to think there won't be any more antigravity racers on Xbox. I've seen other things on the web about this, but nothing in English. :)

Here's a statement from Curly Monsters...

"We were pursuing a number of avenues, and we'd developed some really cool new Xbox technology, but unfortunately we were not able to sign a deal prior to us running out of cash...we've not been able to pay our staff for the last month, and now it's time to (unfortunately) call it quits...I expect you'll see and hear from us in various guises as we spread out amongst other developers."

PixyJunket 07-08-03 03:28 PM

This makes me so :(.

Quantum Redshift was a beautiful game. Every time I play I cry a little, knowing we will (probably) never get to play this gem on Live.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the beef of Curly Monsters the leftovers of Psygnosis?

Trigger 07-08-03 04:00 PM

Yup... makers of the original Wipeout.

cheapskate 07-08-03 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Yup... makers of the original Wipeout.
...and lest we forget... "Blood Money" :D

Stoolie 07-08-03 04:41 PM

That's too bad. I've only played QR for a short time, but it beat the pants out of the horrific Wipeout Fusion on PS2. I guess I'll have to buy QR now.

stoolie

Trigger 07-08-03 04:46 PM

I loved Wipeout Fusion on PS2...

Trigger 07-08-03 06:57 PM

I just finally got an Expert trophy with someone... Master is sick... I'm afraid of the top level. I gotta say that the Special weapon you get as a final weapons upgrade is cool. Anybody actually unlock those last 2 characters? I don't know if I'll be able to beat Master with all 7 original characters.

edit: I beat a few races on Master difficulty... there's hope.

jrutz 07-08-03 07:13 PM

Yeah, Trigger, it's old news but the blade is still sharp... :( Bad news indeed, but if that bit didn't make you long for QR2 then this will:

Burcombe did drop a few hints regarding what might have been, though -- the tentatively-titled "Quantum Redshift: Solaris" would have had Xbox Live support for eight-player racing, tracks on multiple planets with varying weather and gravity, better sound, and other cool stuff.
Found that on Gamers.com. Hopefully it will resurface in some form or another.

Jeremy

Trigger 07-08-03 08:25 PM

Oh I know... Live support... I just didn't want to dump all that bad news at once. :)

Stoolie 07-09-03 07:39 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
I loved Wipeout Fusion on PS2...
Really? I thought it was poopy. Definitely several steps down from the PS1 Wipeouts, IMO.

Trigger 07-17-03 04:57 AM

Originally posted by Stoolie
Really? I thought it was poopy. Definitely several steps down from the PS1 Wipeouts, IMO.
Yeah - I've been a fan of Wipeout games since the beginning and Wipeout Fusion was the best one of all IMO. To each his own. :)

I've been playing Quantum Redshift alot and I'm now about 70% complete... I've unlocked the 2 hidden characters and I've beat half the characters on Master level. Beating the bottom row of characters on Expert unlocks all the easter eggs - most of them just make the game rediculously difficult, but there are a few fun ones... fruity fruit turns all the gems into fruit. It's cool for the novelty factor. The best cheat is unlocked by the last hidden character - mirror tracks... it makes all the tracks into mirror images - essentially doubling the amount of tracks you have (kinda). Atlantis mode is kinda cool - puts the entire race underwater. After beating characters on Master, going back to easy was far too slow... I can't believe this game ever gave me trouble on the first 2 difficulty settings. Can't wait to unlock Redshift mode.

young 07-17-03 07:03 AM

Originally posted by ^sam^
...and lest we forget... "Blood Money" :D
Blood Money, the shooter i used to play on the old amiga??? really?

--
QR is ok. i got it b/c people said it was really fun but i never got into it. i think i like more realistic racers like gt3 or motogp2.

cheapskate 07-17-03 01:18 PM

Well - I used to play it on my Atari ST... but it's the same game... meeeeemories :D

The only reason I remember it was Pysgnosis is because I was so impressed that it actually spoke the words...

"Psygnosis presents, a DMA design game - BLOOD MONEY!"

These young whipper snappers don't realise how long these companies have been around... haha... back in my day we wrote our own games, and we enjoyed it...infact... *trails off*