DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Sega Devises First-Person Football (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/303748-sega-devises-first-person-football.html)

Kicker_of_Elves 07-08-03 12:54 AM

Sega Devises First-Person Football

From Gamers.com

Latest Shots | All Shots
Sega today unveiled a surprising new feature in its ESPN NFL Football -- it will be the first football videogame on record to feature a first-person view mode. Players will be able to play any position from a first-person perspective (looking out through a player's eyes) and corresponding controls.
Whether this will be in any way controllable is an open question, but it certainly makes for a nice visual, as the accompanying screenshots attest

Screenshots --------> http://gamers.com/news/1418279

I think it looks like a very cool idea and hopefully it will catch on...

darkside 07-08-03 01:14 AM

Well its not technically the first. I have Quarterback Attack for 3DO and that was a first person game controlling the QB though it used FMV.

Still a cool idea though I honestly doubt I would play that way.

Jackskeleton 07-08-03 02:09 AM

very cool idea.

Abranut 07-08-03 02:37 AM

Yeah, if I remember correctly Madden 64 for the N64 had a 1st person view (in the QB's Helmet) but it was practically impossible to play that way because without any peripheral vision, you could only see the defensemen directly in front of you. I was constantly getting sacked by guys that had broken through my offensive line.

Hopefully Sega has figured out a new approach to remedy this problem.

Groucho 07-08-03 07:39 AM

I hope it will also let you pack a gun like in The Last Boy Scout.

darkside 07-08-03 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
I hope it will also let you pack a gun like in The Last Boy Scout.
rotfl

Now, that version I'm buying.

Music 07-08-03 08:48 AM

Originally posted by darkside
Well its not technically the first. I have Quarterback Attack for 3DO and that was a first person game controlling the QB though it used FMV.

Still a cool idea though I honestly doubt I would play that way.

I definately played a first person football game years ago and it sucked. (I wanna say C-64, but it may have been early PC.. dunno) Definately low graphics and I don't remember any FMV.

Basically had to run a pattern by following the arrows on screen, then when you went to catch the ball, your 2 arms came up and you either caught the ball, or more times than not, missed it.

spankyj 07-08-03 08:59 AM

Excellent - especially coming from Sega I'll expect big things. Being able to be "on the field" and see the routes being run would be extremely cool!

Jeraden 07-08-03 09:06 AM

There was a first-person football game on the C64. I don't remember the name since its been so long. Same thing Mr. Music is talking about above. It was definitely C64-era though. I don't remember it being exceptionally good, but I remember playing it several times so it couldn't have been all that bad.

DavePack 07-08-03 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Music
I definately played a first person football game years ago and it sucked. (I wanna say C-64, but it may have been early PC.. dunno) Definately low graphics and I don't remember any FMV.

Basically had to run a pattern by following the arrows on screen, then when you went to catch the ball, your 2 arms came up and you either caught the ball, or more times than not, missed it.

Yeah, I remember this game. I think it *was* for the C64, and I'm thinking it was called "On Field Football" although I could be wrong. Yeah, I too remember seeing those pixellated arms coming up and almost always missing the catch.

Music 07-08-03 09:11 AM

Ok, found it.

GFL Championship Football - 1986

Wow, I don't remember the graphics looking that bad! ;)

Kellehair 07-08-03 09:11 AM

I remember when one of the hockey games came out with a first-person view a few years ago. Everyone thought it wold be cool but it ended up sucking. This too will suck.

Music 07-08-03 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Kellehair
I remember when one of the hockey games came out with a first-person view a few years ago. Everyone thought it wold be cool but it ended up sucking. This too will suck.
Ahhh.. You mean the NHL All Star Hockey game for the Sega Saturn?

Yeah, that was a load, but definately different. I still have it, got a used copy for free from EB years ago... (for some reason they forgot to charge me the $14.99 on the price tag) :) I think it was because they didn't want me to return it... even they didn't want it back. :lol:

fujishig 07-08-03 01:39 PM

Huh... didn't know they were changing the 2K name...

It should be a neat feature, but I would think they'd have to revamp the graphics engine significantly to let you play this way... you'll need some kind of peripheral vision and I have no idea how you'd know when to throw or catch the ball.

On defense, rushing the passer, however, or rushing the ball on offense, it'll be cool.

Josh H 07-08-03 02:17 PM

Sounds like a bad idea to me, for anything other than QB anyway.

Running the ball, rushing the passer, etc. are all better suited to a third person view IMO.

But then again, I hate the first person perspective. It's too hard to dodge stuff when you can't see your character. In football, i think it would be much harder, for example, to make defenders miss when you couldn't see the RB/WR in relationship to the defender.

CharlesC 07-08-03 03:18 PM

Might be cool if they do a split screen or a fish-eye view for the peripheral vision.

Lastblade 07-08-03 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Music
Ok, found it.

GFL Championship Football - 1986

Wow, I don't remember the graphics looking that bad! ;)

LOL, I remember this game as well and was about to type this! It was a crappy game, but hey, they tried to do something different.

darkside 07-08-03 04:39 PM

Quaterback Attack was different. Mike Ditka was the coach and it was done by Digital Pictures. All FMV, but it was actually one of the few Digital Pictures games I actually had fun playing.

I played it just now and it was actually third person view slightly behind the Quaterback when passing and first person for the cut scenes, so I'm not 100% right. When you wait too long though you are inside the helmet when you get sacked.

Kellehair 07-08-03 07:54 PM

I was talking about one of the other hockey games. I think it was EA's game from the middle of last generation.

lesterlong 07-08-03 09:48 PM

Well 1st person is only one of the many camera angles the game will have. I think Sega is just using it as a gimmick to sell the game when in reality it will be hard as hell to play. Kinda like the Cinematic view in Shadows of the Empire for N64.

nickdawgy 07-09-03 02:45 AM

Originally posted by fujishig

Still says 2k4 on the box, so I guess they felt the ESPN name being more visible would sell more, and it probably will. Normally I'd be drooling over this game (because NFL 2k3 rocked so hard) but I saw the Madden 2004 preview, and all the features in that made my head spin :D

Can you say "create your own stadium?"

:D

Face/Off 07-13-03 02:50 PM

Originally posted by fujishig

The Sega Sports games are having a hard time selling, even when they're better than their EA counterparts (like NBA). But the NFL series especially has gotten toasted by Madden.

sentineles 07-15-03 08:15 PM

I hope Sega does a good job on this because ever since playing Madden 64 with Helmet cam I have wanted to find another game with it. I had even forgotten it was Madden 64 that had the feature built-in and I'd racked my brain to figure out what game it was. I would like there to be some sort of warning when the d-line is closing in. As realistic as the experience was, I hated not being able to see over the o-line as a QB. Maybe a head turning feature would work.