Reload this Page >

GTA3's story, good or not?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-07-03, 11:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking about buying GTA 3 soon. I just recently bought and finished Mafia. I loved Mafia. It had a good storyline and good ending. I have heard it is similiar to GTA 3. I have played the first 2 GTA's before, and I thought they were boring. All you did in the first 2 GTA's was drive around doing random missions. I like to play games with actual storylines. I don't care if it is non-linear or not. Is GTA3 just random missions with no ending or does it have a good story like Mafia?
Old 07-08-03, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion the GTA series is just a bunch of missions. It tries to try everything with some sort of story, but I really dont find it interesting or worth it. Personally, I dont understand the big deal with the GTA games. Theyre fun, but theres only so many times I can be amused by running over people and bashing their heads in.
Old 07-08-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
GTA3 isn't as good as Mafia, but it's still worth picking up. GTA3 isn't as story driven as Vice City, but then Vice City's story is shorter and the missions are dumber. Mafia is very unique... I hope they make a sequel.
Old 07-08-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
GTA 3 is a great game, definitely give it a try if you've never played it.
Old 07-08-03, 12:05 PM
Banned

It sounds like I would like Vice City more than GTA 3 since Vice is story driven. I thought Mafia's 20 missions were a decent number, so it doesn't matter to me if Vice City is shorter than GTA 3. I have heard GTA 3 has over 100 missions and side quests. In my opinion, that is way too many. I don't like extremely long games. How many missions does Vice City have?

I too would like a Mafia sequel. I would like to play as a gangster in the Morello family in the sequel.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 07-08-03 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-08-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I thought GTA3's story was better than Vice City, and was the better game, but the enhancements made to Vice City (helicopters, motorcycles, etc), make that game a bit more enjoyable.

Neither story is particularly rich. There are a lot of missions in each, but maybe only 30 or so that are actually nessessary to 'complete' the game. Some missions are very short, others take a lot of time. Overall, I'd expect about 30 hours of play out of it if you concentrate only on essential missions. I could probably roll the credits on either game in an evening, but I've played them a lot.
Old 07-08-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I like VC's story line a lot better (the main character in III doesn't even talk). More interesting, great voice talent, etc., and I liked the missions and vehicles better too. I should break that game out again soon...
Old 07-08-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem with the stories in these games is the pacing. Because you are free to do things whenever you want, sometimes you veer off the main story path for days and it's kind of hard to stay involved in the greater story arc. I spent ages racing those RC cars on Vice City's beaches, and trying to jump off the top of the construction site with a motorbike (now that was fun!). Anyway, after doing that and other random shite for days, sometimes you forget what was going on with the characters and the story loses its momentum.

Overall I like the story in VC better but GTA3 has it's own charm. It's fun to try and guess the voice actors in VC if you are familiar enough with the cast.
Old 07-08-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The missions are generally better in GTA3, too many missions in Vice City are 'checkpoint' style races. One or two is ok, but I think I counted 24 checkpoint races in Vice City.
Old 07-08-03, 11:39 PM
Banned

How hard are the races in Vice City? The race mission in Mafia was very hard, and it was the only thing about the game that I hated. I think I am going to go ahead and get GTA 3 since it is only about $20 now. If I don't like it, I will trade it for Vice City.
Old 07-09-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The race mission in Mafia was indeed too difficult - I hear they fixed that with a patch. GTA3 and vice city aren't that hard at all. Vice City has way more races than gta3 because they replaced actual thought-out missions with dopey racing and checkpoint missions.
Old 07-09-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I disagree with you guys that preferred the missions in GTA3. I liked the VC ones better because they were mostly multi-layered missions. In GTA3, most of your missions involved doing one thing and then being done with it (take out Triads, deliver girls to the police ball, chase someone down etc). In VC, it felt more like you were doing the little details that other games leave out. Like the mall mission where you have to get a wanted level, get a cop to follow you into a garage, steal their clothes, sneak into the mall, set off a bomb, and make a getaway. Also the mission where you got a helicopter and went to take pictures of the senator (or some politician) with his girl on the rooftop pool and then had to make a getaway.

I enjoyed having to do more than one thing to complete the missions. Personal preference I guess.