Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone still playing Vice City?

Old 07-07-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone still playing Vice City?

This is one of the best games ever made. I've had this game for months, playing it off and on, and I'm still barely over 40% - I get too easily distracted and just wander around the city, doing random stuff.

But the question I want to ask is - how the heck do I boost a tank? I can get to six stars easily enough, but it's impossible to get to the tank, and when I do, it is locked from the inside. Is it possible to get a tank without cheating, getting hidden packages, or beating the game? I know you could in GTA3, but I wasn't sure if you could in this one.
Old 07-07-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
in the tank mission you get the tank. kill the people driving it through the slot hole in the front and they just fall out.

I've been playing it off and on for a while not. a mission or two every other day. nothing big.
Old 07-07-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything in this game is possible, even stealing a tank without cheat codes, packages, or beating the game. There are even tank stealing FAQs at ww.gamefaqs.com .

Personally, I don't play it too much anymore. Got my 100%, and my "I beat GTA Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" outfit, and after all that, there's just not much left to do. I screw around with it from time to time, but there's just nothing left to accomplish or really 'do'.
Old 07-07-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I played it alot on PS2, I think I am gonna pick it up for PC at BB this week for around $25
Old 07-07-03, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still playing.....
Old 07-07-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I played it alot on PS2, I think I am gonna pick it up for PC at BB this week for around $25
same here i.e. I'm gonna get it on PC since I don't have a PS2 and $25 seems like a GREAT deal.
Old 07-07-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished my 3rd time through Vice City. This time I was able to steal a tank on that first "tank-stealing" mission. I had purchased some property somewhere near where the mission takes place (the 4(?) garage property near the stadium) and was able to get the tank in a garage before it blew up. While I did hear the tank blow up while it was in the garage, when I re-opened the garage the tank was there and intact. That made the Vigilante missions that much easier that early in the game.
Old 07-07-03, 11:05 AM

Still Playing. I am stuck with that darned RC Helicopter flying thru the building. Flying that thing with a keyboard is so difficult that I have given up trying.

I am now installing Rockstar's Midnight Club 2.
Old 07-07-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Still playing although I tend to play video games a lot in a short period of time and then take a month or so off. I got to the end of the main story missions but I am still well below 100% so I will try to do all the side missions (including Phil Cassidy, all the street races, the stadium missions, etc). I don't really care about the hidden packages though.
Old 07-07-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still play this game. I have to complete the malibu club missions and then I'll be done with the missions. Right now I'm trying to complete all the jumps and packages. I often get distracted when I'm driving around though, and I'll end up playing for an hour and not accomplishing anything. It's fun though.
Old 07-07-03, 02:17 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Dr_Evil
I still play this game. I have to complete the malibu club missions and then I'll be done with the missions.
Actually, No. After completion of the Malibu club missions, 2 more missions open up with one of the characters from the Malibu missions.

As for me, I recently picked up the PC version for $20. I've beaten the PS2 version already, but I wanted to play through it again.

Shooting is much easier with a k/m, but flying the military heli is quite difficult.

Last edited by Flay; 07-07-03 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-07-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Flay
Actually, No. After completion of the Malibu club missions, 2 more missions open up with one of the characters from the Malibu missions.

As for me, I recently picked up the PC version for $20. I've beaten the PS2 version already, but I wanted to play through it again.

Shooting is much easier with a k/m, but flying the military heli is quite difficult.
may i ask how and where you picked it up for $20?
Old 07-07-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still playing. I've had it since day one and I'm only at 24%, however I go a month at a time without playing it. I have picked up the pace a bit recently and reached the point where I can acquire businesses so I'm moving along in the missions but I still have a long way to go on the hidden packages, insane stunts, etc.
Old 07-07-03, 03:25 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Dabaomb
may i ask how and where you picked it up for $20?
Ebay.

It's not much more at Best Buy this week: $29.99.
Old 07-07-03, 03:34 PM

Man, how ironic this topic comes up. I started playing it again yesterday. I was looking at my saved games, the last save occurred on January 2nd of this year. I think I'm still at the beginning, the guardian angel mission, I think thats what its called.

I will continue to play, but on the 15th, the ps2 and gamecube will be getting a rest for a while.
Old 07-07-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

Still playing. [And after I was prepared to return it...]
Old 07-07-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's good to hear, I've been letting them rest because I thought they would be the last missions, and I didn't want to end them yet. I would like to get this game to 100% eventually. I'm still looking for about 8 packages, and need a few jumps too. It's fun trying to find all this junk.
Old 07-07-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the tips, guys - after 9 tries, and a bloody, 25-minute battle at my mansion that featured an escape by plane, 60 dead cops, and 3 helicopters, I was finally able to hijack a tank and get it into a garage. Going to do the Vigilante missions soon.

(Now I just have to figure out how to steal a police chopper...)
Old 07-07-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a police chopper from time to time on the roof of the police station on the mainland. You don't have do anything special to steal it, just find it. If you find the helipad on the police station, that's where it will appear.

I recommend waiting to do the vigilante missions until you have the Apache helicopter. When you have that, the vigilante missions become insanely easy. I think I worked up to level 50. The tank is a bit slow to be really effective.

Also, just because you finish the missions and roll the credits, it doesn't end the game. I think I rolled the credits at around 60% completion, and went back later to get the other 40%.
Old 07-07-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ebay.

It's not much more at Best Buy this week: $29.99.
$24.99 with the gamers card
Old 07-07-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought it about a week ago but haven't cracked it open yet. I do have a 4-day weekend coming up
Old 07-07-03, 09:43 PM
Suspended

Count me in the ranks of the newbs! I just picked up GTA last friday with my PS2, and I've been loving it ever since. It doesnt look quite as good as some of my Cube and Box games, but the gameplay makes up for it. This thing rocks!
Old 07-08-03, 01:17 PM
Cat

I've only had it for a few months and I play it for a few days and then leave it for a few more days. Right now I'm stuck on the level at the mall where you have to smash all the windows. I never get it done in time and then I spend an hour running around doing different things. I'll never finish it at this pace!

Cat
Old 07-08-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Cat
I've only had it for a few months and I play it for a few days and then leave it for a few more days. Right now I'm stuck on the level at the mall where you have to smash all the windows. I never get it done in time and then I spend an hour running around doing different things. I'll never finish it at this pace!

Cat

Hint:
Spoiler:
That was one of the hardest missions for me to complete as well. Probably the easiest way to beat the clock is to ride a PCJ into the Mall and use an automatic weapon to shoot out all the windows.
Old 07-09-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had it for a while but haven't played it in months. I guess I just lost interest after beating it way back in november. And anyway I'm much too occupied playing Star Wars Galaxies to play my PS2!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.