Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Majestic-Type Games

Old 07-06-03, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majestic-Type Games

One of my favorite online games of a few years ago was MAJESTIC, which was quite innovative - calling you at home with strange messages and clues, faxing you stuff, having you check other fake online websites, etc. However, because of 9/11, the game was cancelled.

Are there any other games like this in existance or in development? MAJESTIC was a great alternative to most of the other online games (which all seem to be like Everquest), so I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of anything that may be coming out along these lines.
Old 07-06-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I heard it was cancelled because of low sales, and it didn't meet expectations, or the like. Had nothing to do with 9-11.

Never got a chance to play, unfortunately.
Old 07-06-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was a great one tied in with the film A.I.. It involved a ring of dozens of websites, phone messages, ads, and trailers. Better yet, it was totally free. Of course, with the film's exit from theaters, the game had to end sometime. That game's community moved on to other stuff, you might be interested in them:

Cloudmakers
Old 07-07-03, 07:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

I'm also pretty sure that it had nothing to do with 9/11... people just weren't into it for whatever reason. Possibly because you could only progress in the game as fast as it would let you because of its real-time aspect.
Old 07-07-03, 08:54 AM

I played this game when it originally came out, and while the game was put on hiatus for a couple weeks because of 9/11, it wasn't cancelled outright, and lasted quite a bit longer. However, that's about the time I quit.

One problem with the game was that even though it used the internet, the online aspect where you communicate with other players left a lot to be desired.

It was an interesting idea, although the execution was less than stellar.
Old 07-07-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was so excited for this game before it came out and then it was such a flop and a waste. They had all the inspiration they needed, but not enough follow through or something. I signed up my roommate and he never got any calls or emails or anything. It'll probably be awhile before anyone tries this sort of thing again.