Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just killed my first New-Age Retro Hippie!!

Old 07-05-03, 02:01 PM

Just killed my first New-Age Retro Hippie!!

So I just picked up Earthbound - what did people see in this game? It's extremely dated and the battle system is nothing to get excited about . . . but something about it keeps pulling me back, urging me to play just a little longer (then, looking at the clcok, 'a litle longer' translates into 2 hours).

Anyway, I love RPG's, so I'm gonna see this though

Lastly - can anyone help me here - I'm in Twoson, just beat up Everdred and boguht a 'For Sale sign', and a broken machine, iron, and something else - can anyone give me a little nudge (no spoiler's please!!)

I went into the Peaceful Rest Valley, and a big pencil in blocking my path and the bridge is out - thanks in avance.
Old 07-05-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved Earthbound. It came with a strategy guide that had a section of scratch and sniff stuff. Very wacky game.
Old 07-05-03, 03:18 PM

oh, and one more thing - I haven't found genius Dan yet - I just want a yes or no answer (if yes, please explain) - did I pass him up in my journey from oNett to Twoson?

Again, thanks in advance
Old 07-05-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

haha! Thats what I love about Earthbound. It was great! The graphics weren't ground breaking, but the music was great. The enemies were so funny, and the characters and dialogue was equally zany . I am praying the GBA version gets released here.

Anyway, if I recall, you have to get past the pencil somehow. I think you have to talk to someone in town who is pretty smart. You should have talked to him already......think "someone who was hungry and needed money."
Spoiler:
Apple Kid, and more importantly his mouse who
You get an item that helps you communicate,
Spoiler:
gives you the cell phone
After you get that you need to go talk to the pencil thingy and then return to Twoson and something should happen. I tried to give only hints, the exact way (I hope) is in the spoiler tags.
Old 07-05-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where are you playing this? Did you buy it used on Ebay? I missed out on this during the SNES days and would love to play it now because I love the SNES rpgs.
Old 07-06-03, 08:51 AM

spainlinx0 - on my pc, emulator (mods - am I allowed to say that?)

Outlaw - thanks!! I must've been at that pencil five times, but I never tried talking to it (been to the 'hungry' kids house - already got his device). Is the 'other' inventor's device supposed to break like that?
Old 07-06-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yep, you either had to use the "talk" command or "check" command, one of those.

I think Orange Kid's invention is supposed to break, he is such a dweeb , he gets girls though.
Old 07-07-03, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice! This brings back the good old days of 16-bit glory. In fact, I before I even clicked into the thread!