Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Vivendi plans Metallica video game?? Oh brother!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vivendi Metallica game planned

Vivendi Plans Metallica Videogame

By: D. F. Smith June 4, 2003 3:02 PM PDT
Indicating that either the fourth or fifth seal has been opened, we're not sure which, Vivendi Universal today announced plans to publish a "high action, third person vehicle combat game packed with fully customized vehicles and weaponry" featuring "inspiration," voice-overs, and an original music track from the band Metallica. Let it not be said that Vivendi does not understand the methods of media saturation, coming as this announcement does shortly on the heels of Metallica's latest comeback album, St. Anger.
The game will appear on multiple plaforms, but Vivendi is otherwise reserving pertinent details -- the developer, specific platforms, and even the proper title -- for future revelation. Those interested may want to pick up a copy of the upcoming album, however, since it will apparently include a preview trailer of the game. We'll update as further such details arise.

Now really, what could this game possibley be about? That little short drummer dude driving around a GTA style city, going into buildings and smashing computers with Metallica MP3's on them? I can imagine the voice overs. NAPSTER BAD!! MONEY GOOD!! like in that Flash cartoon.

The sooner Vivendi gets bought out by someone the better. Maybe it would prevent this turd from hitting the streets.
Old 06-05-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'd comment.. but honestly I can't really think of anything. The most I could've thought of was something along the lines of "Is this what video games have come to?" but that's a moot point since I've been wondering that since Septmeber 9th 1995.
Old 06-05-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What's next, a game in which women in bikinis compete in beach games to win suntan lotion?
Old 06-05-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by illennium
What's next, a game in which women in bikinis compete in beach games to win suntan lotion?
Or a game with topless BMX bikers. We can add in drugs and pimps and other "mature" stuff! Sell meeelions!!
Old 06-05-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it will be like that shooting game with Aerosmith in it
Old 06-05-03, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by pixyboi
Well I'd comment.. but honestly I can't really think of anything. The most I could've thought of was something along the lines of "Is this what video games have come to?" but that's a moot point since I've been wondering that since Septmeber 9th 1995.
Maybe I'm not up to date on my Video Game history, but what was September 9th, 1995?
Old 06-05-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chopper
Maybe I'm not up to date on my Video Game history, but what was September 9th, 1995?
Release of the Playstation. pixyboi hates the system.
Old 06-05-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.campchaos.com/cartoons/na...erbad_56k.html

http://www.campchaos.com/cartoons/na.../fire_bad.html

Old 06-05-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A game about the band seems completely rediculous. A quake style game with Metallica music setting the scenes would be a good idea. I always thought Trent Reznors inputs on the quake series really added to the game.
Old 06-05-03, 05:47 PM

Didn't Atari already do this in the 80s with Journey?
Old 06-05-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, I love Metallica, but WHY do you make a VIDEOGAME featuring them? I'm drawing a blank on this...
Old 06-05-03, 07:01 PM

I agree with vegeta, love metallica's angry angry music and a game featuring their music would be cool, but an entire game centering around the band....oofa....maybe its an rpg where you play as Lars and have to track down all those darn napster users........
Old 06-05-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
Damn, I love Metallica, but WHY do you make a VIDEOGAME featuring them? I'm drawing a blank on this...
Didn't you see those Flash cartoons?? They are doing a game because......

MONEY GOOOD!!!
Old 06-05-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm gonna steal it from EB and then upload it to Kazaa... but I won't ever play it.
Old 06-05-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't be any worse than "Crue Ball" for the Sega Genesis/Mega-Drive... woo!

Crying out for a sequel
Old 06-05-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
you have to run around beating up and killing Bass players.....
Old 06-05-03, 08:24 PM

I don't know about the game, but St. Anger is awesome. $9.99 at Best Buy and you get a bonus DVD with all the album tracks performed live.
Old 06-06-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
coincidentally, I feel that face of video games changed for the better as of that date.

Come on, pixyboi, you know you have a secret desire to play Vice City....Everybody is doing it, man. Put down the Gamecube and live life

Old 06-06-03, 09:27 PM

that game was for the 2600 but was made by Data Age.
Old 06-08-03, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Fatman
Metallica couldn't be outdone by Kiss' Psycho Circus.
Old 06-08-03, 07:02 PM

...and I can't get over the fact that I actually bought this CD. I lost interest with Metallica soon after Master... The whole Napster thing was a turnoff and Lars is the biggest dickh34d on the planet.

But, I saw that they were providing a DVD with the CD that included a live recording of all the tracks. That's worth $9.99.
Old 06-08-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I think its supposed to be a car fighting game ala Twisted Metal. I guess the drivers would be members of the band, maybe a special apperance by Cliff but I would think him driving a car in a destruction derby would be kinda tasteless. And theres supposed to be Metallica music, which is awesome because I love playing Twisted Metal with the volume down and blasting And Justice For All.
Old 06-08-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
But, I saw that they were providing a DVD with the CD that included a live recording of all the tracks. That's worth $9.99.
Trust me it isn't... I can't even describe in words how much the new Metallica album sucks, and I have loved all of their stuff prior to this.
Old 06-08-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
Trust me it isn't... I can't even describe in words how much the new Metallica album sucks, and I have loved all of their stuff prior to this.
I don't want to derail this thread so I'll start off by saying that a Metallica video game is a very lame idea. Unless the game is based on their experiences in the early eighties, it will come off as very cheesy. If the game was based on playing small clubs, living in a bus, trying to get Mustaine to stop drinking, and writing angry music, that would be a different story.

Inigo, I am not going to put you down if you like St. Anger, because that is what music is all about, what makes you happy. However, I was very excited at the prospect of a "return to old" for the band. All of the marketing I had seen seem to indicate they were putting out Kill Em All 2. I saw the video for St. Anger over the weekend and was highly disappointed. Yes, they had some fast parts, but the whole song sounded very forced and disjointed. After seeing the video, I was very glad I did not pick up St. Anger as an impulse buy this week. I also heard that "Kid" song on the radio, and thought it was equally poor.

I have pretty much dismissed them post Justice. There were a few shining moments on the Reload album, but nothing has captured what they were in the beginning in quite some time. I won't bore anyone here with the history of Metallica, but I will say that they were one of several bands born on the Megaforce label that changed the face of metal. Anthrax and Raven were two others.

I happened to catch the reformed Voivod a few weeks ago, and saw how happy Jason was with his new gig. Love em or hate them, Voivod are far from sellouts. I think Jason made a good move leaving Metallica. The saddest part about St. Anger is that I think they feel they will please their "old school" fans with the album. Personally, I will just cherish the memory of seeing them at the Tower Theater back in 1985. They opened up with "Fight Fire" and I think the rest speaks for itself...
Old 06-09-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by boc4ever
If the game was based on playing small clubs, living in a bus, trying to get Mustaine to stop drinking, and writing angry music, that would be a different story.

Classic man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.