Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars (best Xbox game to start with?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like an Xbox Star Wars game to blow up crap in outer space.
Don't care so much about saber rattling and I REALLY don't care if the game is tied into the new movies (please tell me Jar Jar isn't in any of these games).

I've seen that Obi-Wan gets kind of bad reviews. Maybe I'd be better off with a different series... Panzer Dragoon looks cool.

Actually, any good Sci-Fi recs would be appreciated.

(I'm SURE this topic has been covered, but once again my filter won't let me search for Star Wars... not sure why)
Old 06-03-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the only one that fits this is Star Wars Jedi Starfighter. It's good not great. Regular Starfighter is older and focuses more on the Naboo ships. If you're really into Star Wars space shooters, Gamecube would be the ideal system.

Panzer Dragoon is awesome, but really quite different than Star Wars. Doesn't seem to be many space shooters for Xbox, I cant think of any. But if you want PC games I could recommend a bunch.
Old 06-03-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
The best, IMO, Staw Wars game out for the Xbox right now is Jedi Outcast (Jedi Knight II)but that's not what you seem to be looking for. But, you might want to rename your subject since there is only one answer to your actual question: Jedi Starfighter.

As for space shooters, there isn't much out there as of yet. Panzer is a rails shooter and that's more of a love it or hate it thing. Maybe Mace Griffin will fit the bill. Crimson Skies looks to have a lot of potential too. Unfortunaltely those games aren't out yet. Too bad we won't get to see the new Rogue Squadron game that's coming out for the Cube. That would be pretty f'n sweet.
Old 06-03-03, 08:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There was a feature in the OXM that just came out about a game that looks a lot like the Rogue Squadron games, although you fly in airplanes. I can't recall the title, though.
Old 06-03-03, 09:49 AM

Panzer Dragoon was a lot of fun. I think it's only 29.99 right now. Definitely worth getting.
Old 06-03-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
How bad is the Clone Wars game? Anyone care to comment?
Old 06-03-03, 01:12 PM

Obi Wan wasn't that bad, at least I didn't think so. I thought it was better than Starfighter. I beat starfighter in one day. But I don't think its the best game to start with. You can't beat Halo in that department.
Old 06-04-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
obi- wan is hard but just a-ok

Jedi Starfighter and Starfighter just ok but easy as 1 2 3

Jedi Outcast to me is the best star wars game on the box at the moment, well up until Knights of the Old Republic comes out July 17th.
Old 06-04-03, 10:36 PM

I'm about 80% done with Jedi Outcast, and this is probably the most fun I've ever had playing a video game by myself. Halo kicks it's as in smoothness, playability, controls, etc... but this game IS the essence of the star wars universe, the details, music, everything is amazing, totally vintage star wars (old trilogy, not new one).

My favorite feature about the game is how powerful you feel as you progress. It really feels like you're becoming a stronger and stronger jedi through each level as you gain force powers and lightsaber skills. The first 2 levels were straight gun-based first person shooter, not amazing, but fine. Then you get a saber in the next level, and you start to have some force powers, but you're not very skilled with the saber. At that point, you still rely on guns primarily, and occasionally use the saber when you're not heavily outnumbered and feel you can hack through 2-3 people without taking too much damage. Cut to 2 levels later, and the saber is the default weapon, and I can walk into a room of 15 stormtroopers all packing their heaviest artillery possible and salughter them while barely a scratch. Increased lightsaber defenses let me delfect about 100% of the lasers they shoot, and I toss them around with Force Push and strange them with Force Grip, and you can see how effortless it was for Luke to take out 40 guys single handedly on Jabba's Sail Barge.

And I haven't even mentioned the coolest part, the AMAZING lightsaber battles between you and the dark jedi. Some are quite weak, and succumb easily to my force lightning or a death grip to immobilize them followed byu a wide open lightsaber hack, but some are so powerful they laugh at your efforts to use the force on you and counterattack with force powers you are far from acquiring yet.

In short this is the most fun I've had playing a star wars game since Rogue Squadron on the N64. And the fact that it's abailable for under $30 on eBay makes it a steal. Get through the standard FPS levels to start, then sit back and enjoy becoming the most powerful jedi in the universe and leaving a path of destruction in your wake.

I've played most major console releases in the past 3 years (Zelda, Metroid, GTA's, Resident Evils...) and this is the most fun I've had single player video gaming since playing through Halo the first time.
Old 06-04-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you are considering getting Panzer Dragoon, I'd recommend you rent it; it is a decent game, but is pretty short (the main game can easily be finished in a day or two), and unless you are obsessive about getting 100% ratings on all the levels, and unlocking everything, there isn't a whole lot of replay value, imho.
Old 06-05-03, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-05-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey jabbas,

The sequel to that fine game comes out this fall, its called Jedi Academy and u'll be able to use 2 lightsabers, one in each hand or a dual lightsaber like Darth Maul...

And last but not least, you can play it on Xbox Live

check out the site below for more info dude:

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/je...my/default.htm