Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Eternal Darkness for $14.99

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eternal Darkness for $14.99

Was just on the Game Stop website. They have Eternal Darkness listed on the site for $14.99 new. For those who have played this, any good?
Old 05-21-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its a great game. I bought it when it was first released and its well worth $15.

Great survival horror and good graphics. Much better controls than Resident Evil.
Old 05-21-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got this game when it was $50 and it was still worth it! Interesting and creepy story, Hollywood quality voice acting, good gameplay. I wouldn't really classify it as survival horror, its more of an adventure game with a horror theme (if that makes sense?), but it doesn't really matter because its great.

For $15 I'd highly reccommend it. One of the best games of last year.
Old 05-22-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good game, you can get it at BB for $20-$5 = $15. Best game on the GC last year, much better than MP.
Old 05-22-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what are the odds that the price instore is the same. The $4.99 shipping kills this IMO.

Sure $20 is a good price , but I want to only pay $14.99.
Old 05-22-03, 06:06 AM

The game is the same price as the strategy guide. Looks like a good deal. I'll stop by the store and see if they have it for the same price.
Old 05-22-03, 07:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I paid $50 for it when it first came out, worth every penny. If you like Lovecraft-inspired games you can't go wrong.
Old 05-22-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought it at a Gamestop store for $14.99 a couple of weeks ago, so it should just be a matter of finding a store that has a copy.
Old 05-22-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Bought it for 50, beat it 3 times. I would say I got my money's worth.
Old 05-22-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent game, all around. I highly recommend it. I enjoyed it much more than any of the Resident Evils. It might be just a tad too easy at times...
Old 05-22-03, 11:12 AM
Retired

Great game. It was worth the $50 I played for it, and definitely worth $14.99 plus shipping.

BTW, Best Buy was selling it in store for $19.99 last I checked, so you could use the Gamer's Gift Card coupon and get it for $14.99 plus tax. However, you might be hard pressed to find any copies left in stock as they were obviously trying to get rid of them.
Old 05-23-03, 10:02 AM

As others have said, I bought this game for $50 and thought it was an awesome purchase. The presentation of this game is one of the best that I have ever seen. The story unfolds seamlessly into the game. If you have an HDTV you might want to be aware that this game requires you to hold down the red button while booting the game up for you to even get the Prog Scan option. This is what happened to me at least but maybe your system is set to 480p by other games and it will do it automatically. I just wanted to save you the frustration (if an HDTV owner) of playing 80% through a game and then finding out you could have been seeing a much better looking game. The prog scan makes a big difference in this title IMO.
Old 05-23-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Incredible game! One of my all-time favorites, and I've been playing video games since the early days of NES. I rarely play games through more than once, and I've played this one through all 3 times (it's a bit different each time around, and you get a special ending the 3rd time). I like it better than any of the Resident Evil games - it doesn't concentrate on shock so much as genuine creepiness. If you've ever read any H.P. Lovecraft fiction, then imagine one of his stories in videogame format. It really surprises me how underappreciated this game is. Any game that opens with a Poe quote is just about guaranteed to be cool!
Old 05-23-03, 11:29 AM

I didn't like the game, personally. Gameplay was too shallow and repetetive for me. I didn't play past the 3rd character switch. I would've liked to because everyone said the story was really good, but I was just bored to tears with the gameplay.
Old 05-23-03, 01:10 PM

Everyone has their own opinion and I've known others not to like this game. Their issue was the lack of patience to play a game like this at all though. I personally thought that the gameplay was pretty deep. Learning to cast tons of spells that do things like summon scorpions, monters, magical barriers, etc. was creative and kept it from turning into a simple hack and slash game.
The visuals on this game are a trip too. Don't play it late at night because when the characters start hallucinating it gets crazy!!!
Old 05-23-03, 04:02 PM
Retired

I enjoyed the gameplay. The only repetiveness that bothered me is there wasn't much variety in the enemies, but it was just a minor pet peeve as I still played it through the 3 times back-to-back-to-back when I got it to get the real ending.
Old 05-24-03, 11:37 PM

Rumble Feature

Well, for 14.99 I couldn't pass up Eternal Darkness. I picked it up earlier today. I was reading through the instructions and came upon a note about the rumble feature.

Ever since I brought my gamecube(about 3 months ago), I've used the wavebird. As everyone knows, there is no rumble feature on the wavebird which I don't mind. It says the rumble feature can lead to you to discover unseen secrets, so think carefully before you turn it off.

If I continue to use the wavebird, am I going to mess out on alot of unseen secrets or will the game be different? If needed I will go buy an extention cord for the wired controller. Also, are there any decent 3rd party wireless controller with the rumble feature? Thanks......
Old 05-25-03, 07:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The Rumble does make a difference. The first time through I played it without and finished the game. The second time I tried with the rumble and it did uncover something pretty cool.
Old 05-25-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can only think of one instance where the rumbling indicates something hidden nearby, although the hidden object ultimately makes defeating the final boss a whole lot easier. You wouldn't need the rumbling if you discovered the hidden item's location from reading a walkthrough of the game or asking somebody here.
Old 05-25-03, 03:41 PM
Retired

I played one of the 3 times through with rumble and it didn't help.

I actually found what Groucho and sdcrym are talking about on my first time. It's really not that well hidden, if you take your time and thoroughly explore each level you won't miss it.

As for the other objects, you can't miss them because besides this one thing all the others are required to advance.
Old 05-25-03, 08:30 PM

Well, for $14.99, I did buy the game. Thanks for the tip. Now, the weird thing about my purchase is, I don't even have a gamecube yet : ) I deferred getting the cube till E3 because of the rumours of a price decrease. But Lo and Behold, its still the same price : ( I'm still thinking of grabbing the cube in the next few months, so I wanted to grab this game, as this is one amongst the few that I really wanted to get for the cube. Might just wait for one of those $129 sale at circuit city! Next search, Zelda with the bonus disks! Hopefully I can find it somewhere on sale! Thanks again.
Old 05-25-03, 11:02 PM
Retired

You do realize you can get Zelda free if you buy a GC currently?

If you buy the game for $50 and then wait for the GC to be on sale or drop to $129 you'll be paying $179 for the GC and zelda when you couuld get them both for $149 right now.
Old 05-26-03, 12:18 AM

Thanks. I know, but I think the promo is still on for another 2 months. Circuit City has been putting gamecube on sale at least once a month the past few months, so I reckon being a little more patient should work out. Like RE 0 is now $29 bucks, so hopefully a few more weeks wait would do me good. What I feel bad about is the Zelda bonus disks. Only place I saw this available was at gamestop shops, selling for $19.99. Hopefully I can find other places where I can get this at a cheaper price.
Old 05-26-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDGamer
What I feel bad about is the Zelda bonus disks. Only place I saw this available was at gamestop shops, selling for $19.99. Hopefully I can find other places where I can get this at a cheaper price.
Saw it at my local Circuit City for $14.99.
Old 05-26-03, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DVDGamer
Well, for $14.99, I did buy the game. Thanks for the tip. Now, the weird thing about my purchase is, I don't even have a gamecube yet : )
You're not the only one buying games before getting the system. I bought X-Box and GC games before I bought the systems. Can't pass up a great deal if you plan to get the games and systems later anyways.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.