Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sony announces Eye Toy

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-03, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony announces Eye Toy

A quirky peripheral...I want this! It sounds great for parties...And for $39 you can't go wrong!

E3 2003: Sony Announces The Eye Toy
By Mike Viscel -- Staff Writer
Published 12:24 PM CDT May 13, 2003

Sony shows off a digital camera that works in conjunction with the PS2 and games!

Sony has just announced at their press conference that they will be releasing a new peripheral called the "Eye Toy." The "Eye Toy" looks to work in conjunction with a few video games. Sony showed a few games along with the USB-ready camera: Kung Fu and a game called Wishy Washy, in which you use your hands in as well as the the camera to wash windows.

The "Eye Toy" can also record video messages up to a minute long onto your memory card right out of the box.

The camera seems to support up to 4 people playing simultaneously and will ship with 12 games this October for a retail price of $39.99.

The full transcript it just a click away with all the news from the conference.
Old 05-13-03, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Sounds like cheap Webcam games...
Old 05-13-03, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Sounds like cheap Webcam games...
Is it your intention to threadcrap on every Sony thread?

FS
Old 05-13-03, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Nope. I dislike PS2, not PS1. This Eye Toy sounds stupid "Wishy Washy, in which you use your hands in as well as the the camera to wash windows." Wow...now kids can learn how to do be a bum!
Old 05-13-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope. I dislike PS2, not PS1. This Eye Toy sounds stupid "Wishy Washy, in which you use your hands in as well as the the camera to wash windows." Wow...now kids can learn how to do be a bum!
Sheesh seems like every Sony related E3 thread you go into there's someone saying "this sucks", or "this is stupid". Don't get so emotional. They're just games.... fun.... remember?
Old 05-13-03, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Umm, Ive posted in 2 PS2 threads...So sure, thats every thread ive been too... Maybe if Sony would announce a PS2 that dosn't break down after 91 days I would post a little more of a positive attitude.
Old 05-13-03, 02:16 PM
Banned

Umm, Ive posted in 2 PS2 threads...So sure, thats every thread ive been too... Maybe if Sony would announce a PS2 that dosn't break down after 91 days I would post a little more of a positive attitude.
Your comments are not welcome here. Leave and never return.
Old 05-13-03, 02:19 PM
Suspended

My comments are not welcome? Im simply stating the facts. I work in a videogame store and see how many PS2 systems come back after 3-6 months. The PSOne however is a pretty solid system, and I own one along with a screen and a dozen games. Until Sony can correct there mistakes with the PS2, I won't buy one.
Old 05-13-03, 02:22 PM
Banned

My comments are not welcome? Im simply stating the facts. I work in a videogame store and see how many PS2 systems come back after 3-6 months. The PSOne however is a pretty solid system, and I own one along with a screen and a dozen games. Until Sony can correct there mistakes with the PS2, I won't buy one.
So this means you'll do nothing but gripe about anything PS2, rather than look at it objectively? How mature...I thought all the fanboys were at ign.com...

FS
Old 05-13-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back on topic.. while I'm sure there would be SOME good use for this.. device.. the Wishy Washy idea does sound pretty lame.

Does anybody remember how popular the Gameboy Camera was?

Last edited by PixyJunket; 05-13-03 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-13-03, 02:24 PM
Suspended

No, not everything. PS2 has some decent, exclusive games (Jak and Dexter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, The Final Fnatasy Series), but not a whole lot more. There E3 lineup looks very good. But until they fix the problems with there unreliable hardware, I won't purchase one.
Old 05-13-03, 02:30 PM
Banned

No, not everything. PS2 has some decent, exclusive games (Jak and Dexter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, The Final Fnatasy Series), but not a whole lot more. There E3 lineup looks very good. But until they fix the problems with there unreliable hardware, I won't purchase one.
Please don't ever buy one... EVER!

The hardware is not unreliable. With 50 million units out there, the fail rate of a PS2 is no higher than an X-box or a GameCube. The majority of problems can be accounted to consumer error and can be fixed within minutes. For someone who claims to work in a videogame store, your lack of knowledge on the subject is scary. Stop posting!
Old 05-13-03, 02:35 PM
Suspended

My lack of knowledge? Since we have opened, we have had 2 Gamecube defective. 3 Xboxs. and 23 PS2's... Hmm...

The reason why 50 Million PS2's have shipped is because everyone that has owned one has needed 2-3 system because they either 1. Won't play Blue discs. 2. Won't play DVDs. 3. Won't do anything.
Old 05-13-03, 02:36 PM

Well said, Gizmo.
Old 05-13-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi

Back on topic.. while I'm sure there would be SOME good use for this.. device.. the Wishy Washy idea does sound pretty lame.

Does anybody remember how popular the Gameboy Camera was?
Yeah...I have to agree - Why would anyone want to play a game about window cleaning, when I could go outside and wishy-washy my OWN windows? (which are filthy btw)

They'll really need a killer app to sell this... and I don't think "Virtual Housekeeping" is going to be it...
Old 05-13-03, 02:40 PM
Banned

My lack of knowledge? Since we have opened, we have had 2 Gamecube defective. 3 Xboxs. and 23 PS2's... Hmm...

The reason why 50 Million PS2's have shipped is because everyone that has owned one has needed 2-3 system because they either 1. Won't play Blue discs. 2. Won't play DVDs. 3. Won't do anything.
LOL you're kidding right?? You do realize that if you sell more PS2's than the other 2, you're going to get back more PS2 as faulty?

And your 2nd statement is even more comical...forget what everyone else said, keep posting! It's a riot to read!

FS
Old 05-13-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This statement along with the fact that you work in a game store pretty much explains everything. For the record, I bought a PS2 at launch, used it standing sideways, and it plays DVD's, blue discs and does everything (online play, washing dishes, gardening, baby-sitting)
Old 05-13-03, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Flash, we sell more Xbox's then PS2's (Not by much though, both are pretty close, Gamecube is far behind though).

I can see your love for a system is too much for anyone to change. Oh well. Enjoy your 're-defined' Splinter Cell
Old 05-13-03, 02:45 PM
Banned

Flash, we sell more Xbox's then PS2's (Not by much though, both are pretty close, Gamecube is far behind though).

I can see your love for a system is too much for anyone to change. Oh well. Enjoy your 're-defined' Splinter Cell
Well at least we know you're an Xbox fanboy now...what store do you work for?

And FYI, I own a PS2, Xbox, GC, and Dreamcast. Maybe when you get a good-paying job, you can buy ALL the systems you want and not NEED to be a fanboy!

FS
Old 05-13-03, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Flash, I work for Game Crazy. I also own every videogame system made (except for the PS2). That includes Atari, Turbo Grafx, Nintendo, Sega etc.
Old 05-13-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ^sam^
They'll really need a killer app to sell this... and I don't think "Virtual Housekeeping" is going to be it...
Virtual Mastrubation on the other hand, could really elevate sales of the PS2 and Eye Toy. Better yet, make it Online enabled.
Old 05-13-03, 02:52 PM
Suspended

I just don't see how this Eye Candy will ever catch on. Who want's to wash windows? Gameboy Camera never caught on, nor did the recent Worm Cam. I have this feeling the Camera will be alot light Light Guns, with only a handful of games that support it.
Old 05-13-03, 02:52 PM
Banned

Flash, I work for Game Crazy. I also own every videogame system made (except for the PS2). That includes Atari, Turbo Grafx, Nintendo, Sega etc.
How nice, so do I...it's your loss for missing all the great PS2 games. I've had one since day one...with no problems. I guess it's more fun to be bitter rather than to play good games.

FS
Old 05-13-03, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Flash, you speak of great games, and Im not sure which ones they are. You work at Game Crazy, you know what comes out, and you still think PS2 has better games? For shame.
Old 05-13-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Virtual Mastrubation on the other hand, could really elevate sales of the PS2 and Eye Toy. Better yet, make it Online enabled.
...you sleaze bag... I bet you're hoping it's Dual Shock compatible too...

I'd prefer Virtual Filing 3D...or any sort of office management game... Photocopy King 2003?

OK, now I can't think of *one* good use for this thing...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.