MechAssault Content Download #2 - CTF, New Mechs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 02:52 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MechAssault Content Download #2 - CTF, New Mechs & More

http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/Downloads/C...hAssault-2.htm

"You've hungered for it. You've bombarded us with questions about its arrival. Time to take a deep breath because the wait is almost over! The second MechAssault content download is headed to an Xbox near you, replete with updated interface options, two brand-spankin'-new 'Mechs, and the ever-popular Capture the Flag mode!

Through the ecstatic haze, you're probably asking yourself, "So how can I get this new content and how much does it cost?" Well, just fire up MechAssault, log onto Xbox Live, and go to the Downloads menu. Select what you want, and viola—new content streams onto your Xbox hard disk. Oh, and the cost? Nada.

New User Interface Options

Tired of wondering who's breathing into the mic? Maybe you want to know who the funny guy with all the one-liners is. Some gamers were disappointed that there wasn't a visual cue to indicate who was speaking in the game staging screen and during matches.

What about when you're involved in the battle of the century, and when it's over you'll accept nothing less than a rematch? Without a convenient rematch option, you had to search high and low for the host and hope that everyone else could find their way back.

We're happy to say your voices have been heard! Included in the download is an update to address all these issues. The Gamertag of the person speaking now flashes in the staging area, and during battles the Gamertag appears in the upper right corner of the screen next to a "talk" icon. The last four people speaking show up on the screen. And after a match ends, the host returns to the new game screen and guests are given the option to rejoin.

Capture the Flag Mode

The classic online mode finally makes its way to MechAssault. With the latest download you get two all-new maps, Midtown and Desert Storm, each optimized for Capture the Flag.

Midtown is no walk in the park. Each team's base is located on opposite ends of a large urban environment, so you'll have to dodge falling buildings on your way to capture the enemy's flag. Or maybe you'd prefer the scenic route that avoids the city altogether—we hear the carnage is beautiful this time of year.

And for something completely different, Desert Storm takes MechAssault to a new locale, appropriately enough, the desert! Team areas are separated from an elevated central region by a large valley. Numerous bridges allow quick access to this central region and to areas where the flags are hidden. We're fairly certain these bridges are going to undergo a lot of "construction," especially when lumbering enemy 'Mechs attempt to cross them.

New 'Mechs

The last download gave us Corvus and Raven. Both are ultra-fast and agile, but they have napkin-thin armor and precious little firepower. If they felt outmatched and outclassed before, that's because those 'Mechs were designed for the breakneck pace of Capture the Flag. The newest additions to the 'Mech family, Loki and Hellbringer, are more balanced and can hold their own in any mode. Make no mistake, these lumbering giants are totally bad-ass. We guarantee that the flamethrower-toting Hellbringer is going to be popular. Here are the stats:

Loki
Speed: 37 m/s
Special Components: Null Signature
Jump Jets: No
Acel: 50 Torso: 124
Max Heat: 157 Cool Rate: 18
Torso Armor: 3,929
Arm Armor: 1,061
Leg Armor: 1,127

Weapons
Energy: Pulse Laser (2)
Ballistic: Autocannon (2)
Missile: Crossbow SRM (3)

Hellbringer
Speed: 30 m/s
Special Components: No
Jump Jets: Yes
Acel: 50 Torso: 124
Max Heat: 157 Cool Rate: 10
Torso Armor: 3,929
Arm Armor: 1,061
Leg Armor: 1,127

Weapons
Energy: Flamer
Ballistic: Autocannon (2)
Missile: Javelin LRM

So if you're a MechAssault fanatic with an Xbox Live account, you've got a lot of new excitement headed your way. Fire up your Xbox and sharpen those skills, because the new multiplayer content takes mayhem to a whole new level!"
Old 05-09-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must... buy... MechAssualt...
Old 05-09-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but where's a confirmwed date? They've had that info since the game came out. The announced about 2 weeks ago that it would be out in the next 3 weeks & still no solid date? Considering this was supposed to be out months ago, I won't hold my breath yet. And are they waiting for Unreal to be 1 year old before they have the download content or what?
Old 05-09-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Must... buy... MechAssualt...
It should still be $20 at Blockbuster.
Old 05-09-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by juiio
It should still be $20 at Blockbuster.
Is this a universal thing? I'm so there..
Old 05-09-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Is this a universal thing? I'm so there..
It should be. They might be marked as $50, but they ring up as $20 (This is new, by the way, not previously used).

Metroid Prime and possible a couple others were also $20.
Old 05-09-03, 04:47 PM
dgc

Originally posted by El Kabong
Yeah, but where's a confirmwed date? They've had that info since the game came out. The announced about 2 weeks ago that it would be out in the next 3 weeks & still no solid date? Considering this was supposed to be out months ago, I won't hold my breath yet. And are they waiting for Unreal to be 1 year old before they have the download content or what?
Not all the info is old. They are providing more specifics now and are fixing the lobby, which leads me to believe it will be available very soon.

I'm guessing before or during E3 (Mid-May) if not sooner.
Old 05-09-03, 05:18 PM

Might be time to start playing MechAssault again. i got bored of the usual destruction modes. CTF should be great and invites a better mix of light and heavy mechs.
Old 05-09-03, 05:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: MechAssault Content Download #2 - CTF, New Mechs & More

Originally posted by dgc
http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/Downloads/C...hAssault-2.htm

"You've hungered for it. You've bombarded us with questions about its arrival. Time to take a deep breath because the wait is almost over!
Hasn't the wait been almost over for a while now?

*hopes they've balanced out the Homing PPCs of Fiery Death*
Old 05-10-03, 12:37 PM

So when does the download come out?
Old 05-10-03, 12:38 PM
dgc

Originally posted by Maynerd
So when does the download come out?
"Microsoft Games Studios today announced that the hotly anticipated second downloadable content for MechAssault will be available on May 19. "

http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=4447