Reload this Page >

Little Known Gameboy Advance Games

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-08-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it'd be nice to start a thread so we can discuss excellent GBA games that aren't very well known.

Domestic:
Klonoa - Empire of Dreams, is every bit as good as it's psudeo #D counterparts. If you love old-school platformers, this one is a winner. Some of the puzzle elements remind me a lot of a side scrolling Zelda (lots of block pushing, etc). Great graphics as well!!

Import:
Mr Driller 2 or Mr Driller A!! Mr Driller 2 is the sole reason I bought my GBA back in the day. Sure there were a few other gems, but that was the game that made me NEED a GBA. Mr Driller A triples the amount of fun. Even though these are import games, if you've ever played a Mr Driller game before you know very well you don't need to read to play.

Monster Gate, a harder to find title. It's a rouge-style RPG. Random dungeons, only task is to kill monsters and collect trasures. Also a fairly easy title to pick up because the controls are simple and the spells are all pictures on cards. Off the top of my head I remeber it being pretty easy to play w/o knowing Japanese, as again, it's a rouge game, there's no painfully written plot to follow, and your spells are pictures on cards. Maybe basic katakana needed, but I forget..

Klonoa 2 and Klonoa Star Heroes, Klonoa 2 is the sequel to the above domestic game. It was never brought out over here because Namco of America are idiots (ie: Mr Driller games not coming over here). It's more of the same really, graphics up a notch, but new levels of the game you love. Star Heroes is a different story altogether. It's an overhead, Zelda-like action game. I've only played it on an emulator and it ran like crap but I already know I want to buy a copy of it.
Old 05-08-03, 11:29 AM

Received 327 Likes on 208 Posts
I love Tiny Toons: Whacky Stackers... its a blatant rip-off of the pyo-pyo game but it has some other special things thrown in.

I can't wait to play my GBA games on my TV...!
Old 05-08-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goldberg74
I love Tiny Toons: Whacky Stackers... its a blatant rip-off of the pyo-pyo game but it has some other special things thrown in.

I can't wait to play my GBA games on my TV...!
I haven't played Tiny Toons but I LOVE the Puyo Puyo games. Which reminds me.. here's another good game to add..

Puyo Pop, deomestic: Best Puzzle Game ever. Well, maybe 2nd best.. but Mr Driller is more of an action game than a puzzle game. Simple, Puyo Puyo is king of all block dropping games, and (with the exception of Tetris) all others are very poor reproductions.
Old 05-08-03, 11:44 AM

I'll chime in:

Gekido Advance (Euro only) - absolutely incredible 2D side-scrolling beat em up that no one seems to have played but me. If you enjoy games like Final Fight you NEED it. The graphics are unreal, the guitar music rocks, and it plays like vintage Capcom stuff.

CT Special Forces (Euro only) - great Metal Slug clone with pretty impressive graphics for GBA. Sequel might be coming out here in the US.

Kuru Kuru Kururin (Euro/Jap.) - early puzzle game that is very hard but addictive. Also gets my vote for best music on the GBA.

Ninja Five-O - just came out here and is probably one of the best games to come out recently. Very old-school Shinobi/Bionic Commando-ish platformer and plays like a dream.
Old 05-08-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

rarebucky, do you know a good place to order euro games? I may try a few of those out on emu and if any strike me as good I'd like to buy them. Ninja Five-O sounds like a must buy because 1) you compared it to Bionic Commando, and 2) that's the coolest title for a video game in ages.

Also, the Sega guys who created the Shining Force series has a pretty neato sounding RPG in english euro only release called Shining Soul. It sounds like another potential sleeper hit.
Old 05-08-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
Lady Sia is a pretty decent platformer on GBA, which I got for $9.99 from SamGoody a while back. I didn't particularly care for the graphical style (European?), but the gameplay was really quite good.
Old 05-08-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i saw on a random game web site a while ago that speed ball 2 was available on the GBA, but i haven't seen it anywhere. i used to love to play it on the Sega Genesis back in the day. is it available for the GBA? or was i just dreaming about this.

sorry if this isn't the right thread, but i figured it was "little known" , and therefore didn't deserve its own thread....
Old 05-08-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man.. if a faithful port of Speedball 2 is available on the GBA, I'm all over it.
Old 05-08-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like on regular GB:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18808
Old 05-08-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

damn... speedball was the best game back in the day.... i want it on the GBA baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Car Battler Joe is pretty good! From Natsume, that says it right there!

For import, The Legend of Starfi is another cool title!

Never heard of Ninja Five-O, but it definitely sounds like something to look into.
Old 05-08-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Puyo Pop!!!

Easily my favorite puzzle game since Tetris.

If you like Puzzle Fighter, you have to get this game.
Old 05-08-03, 04:18 PM

http://www.play.com sells EURO games for most platforms. I believe they still ship outside the UK. I ordered the UK version of Headhunter from them.
I did a search and they had Kuru Kuru but it is currently sold out
Old 05-08-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh.. I did a search on www.play.com.. was it Ninja Cop? If so then I take back the title comment.. Ninja Five-O would've kicked serious ass..

I wonder if the 26.99 pounds delivered counts shipping to the USA.. that's some expensive GBA games..
Old 05-09-03, 08:36 AM
Cool New Member

For me its Super Dodge Ball Advance. Lot of fun, plays great. Check it out
Old 05-09-03, 01:40 PM

ninja cop and ninja 5 0 are the same thing... the title changed during the creation process from Ninja Cop To Ninja 50...

fyi.
Old 05-09-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice.. nice..

Actually I found out it was called Ninja Cop in the Japanese version.
Old 05-09-03, 03:58 PM
fab

I'll throw another vote in for Ninja Cop, er Five-O (is this game based in Hawaii?)

Anyway -- I played through this game and it's really fun execpt for most of the last 2 levels (there are 5 total). These levels were not fun to play due to their EXTREME difficulty. I doubt most people could beat the last level.. but the first 3 levels are a blast to play... the learning curve up through the first three levels is just about perfect.

One of the few games I've taken the time to beat since I've gotten my GBA.

--
fab
Old 05-09-03, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Urban Yeti
Old 05-09-03, 05:03 PM
fab

Speedball 2

There is a version of Speedball 2 available for Game Boy Advance but it too is only available in Europe.

--
fab
Old 05-09-03, 05:11 PM

I got a lot of my Euro games from www.ukgamesource.com . Great guy with GREAT prices. I ended up getting KKK, Gekido, CT Special Forces and Tiny Toons Buster's Hidden Treasure (Treasure platformer) all for like $80 shipped from the UK. And they're all new And before any of you ask - I haven't played Tiny Toons yet but it's supposed to be very good.