DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Anyone Play Dark Alliance? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/290353-anyone-play-dark-alliance.html)

Gideon68 05-04-03 11:02 PM

Anyone Play Dark Alliance?

What do you think of the game? Which version do you have (PS2, GC)? What type of game is it?

What other games does it resemble?

Any difference between the console versions?

Spy021 05-04-03 11:29 PM

I am playing Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the PS2 at the moment. For the most part, it is a button mashing hack-n-slash, with a decent story (I'm just into the second part). Being based on the D&D license, I was hoping for a little more variety in the character creation. However, you only are allowed to choose from (3) pre-created choices. I would have also liked the game to be party-based, like the games from the Baldur's Gate series for the PC, rather than a solo adventure. However, that aside, I have really enjoyed the game thus far. It's definitely nothing that breaks the mold, but being someone who has played the pen-n-paper game for many years, it is a lot of fun.

Gideon68 05-05-03 01:12 AM

Thanks. I thought there was a 2-player mode.

victant 05-05-03 02:55 AM

Originally posted by Gideon68
Thanks. I thought there was a 2-player mode.
Actually, there is a 2 player mode. It even allows a character created and played in single player mode to be "loaded" into a game with a second character--giving the ability to "rush" through the levels if desired. It's been a while, but I think this is the gist of the 2 player mode...please correct me if I'm wrong! ;)

Gideon68 05-05-03 04:50 AM

I haven't played it but that sounds like what I heard.

Gromit 05-05-03 07:19 AM

I completed the PS2 version in co-op mode. A lot more fun than playing single player IMO.

Stoolie 05-05-03 07:32 AM

I've played through it single player and with different character combinations for co-op. I think it's a great game, and while it's fairly loosely based on D&D, it still gives you the feel of the game. I have the PS2 version.

stoolie

nelsed 05-05-03 09:42 AM

Gosh I love this game. The game looks great... very pretty -- the story is fun.... and of course leveling up your character with a friend is the best... I wish they had made a 4 player option -- more characters to choose from etc. An online version would ROCK!!!

My friend and I woul stay up all night playing this game... and then just be dead in the morning... but it was so hard to put down. They have it on all three systems... and I can't tell a difference in quality.

I hope Dungeons and Dragons Heroes is more of the same only with 4 players.

TheMadMonk 05-05-03 10:43 AM

I played the PS2 version. I enjoyed it for $20. I think it has the best water graphics I've seen (so far)

nickdawgy 05-05-03 11:55 AM

I agree, the water graphics in the PS2 version are stunning. I bought this awhile ago, then traded it away before I finished it. It's a really fun game, I think I am gonna pick it up again, and play it again :D

I'd definitely recommend it if you can handle the constant hacking and slashing. It has cool music too.

sniper308 05-05-03 12:19 PM

I played through the GC version as one of the character types. While the gameplay was pretty straightforward, it kept me coming back to see what I'd be encountering next, etc. It had difficult spots without becoming overly frustrating, etc.

I sold it to a friend after completing it one time through. I may pick up the X-Box version if I come across it for a good price (I got the GC version for $15 after using the $5 off at Best Buy)

The Franchise 05-05-03 03:44 PM

Highly highly recommended as a GH title for PS2. It was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Static Cling 05-05-03 03:45 PM

Another :up: to BG:DA on the PS2. Yummy hack-n-slash goodness. It's got good "added features," too... after you beat the game on regular difficulty, you unlock a Gauntlet mode, in which you get to play a character near and dear to a lot of D&D fans' hearts:
Spoiler:
Drizzt, complete with twin scimitars... no other playable character in the game can dual-wield, I don't think

milo bloom 05-05-03 08:33 PM

The wife and I finished the PS2 mode on coop. Lot's of fun, but too short.

RolloTomasi 05-05-03 08:56 PM

Just bought this a week ago for the PS2, and I'm halfway through Act II. So far it's one of the better D&D games I've played - Baldur's Gate's ultra-open-endedness intimidated me too much. I'll probably play through it at least three more times, just to try it with every character.