Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

all console games should have cheats!

Old 05-01-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

all console games should have cheats!

I visited my parents house over Easter this year, and my brother had brought his gamecube with him. While we had long ago agreed to disagree on the ups and downs of different consoles, I was curious to see what the Cube could do.

After sorting thru his pile of coaster sized games, we finally decided on a genre, and then on timesplitters 2. We get into multiplayer, and for whatever reason, it didn't read the save game on his memory card. While this could have been a great opportunity to lambast the cube on its lack of a HD, the more pressing issue was that we wanted to play Vs each other, but out of the 40 or so multiplayer options, only 2 were available. Who is going to sift thru hours of single player action if all you want to to play head to head? While I agree that there is a certain reward to unlocking super secrets, it shouldn't force you to play the game just to access basic parts of it. While I agree that you should be forced to find the little gems, like the anaconda game in the first level, The game should be fully playable out of the box. If you don't want to allow a certain level or weapon in multiplayer at first, at least put a cheat code you can use to access it.

I'm not saying that cheating is good, but these games need to be at least a little flexible. Those who lose their save games 20 hours into a game are likely to have much nicer feeling towards the game if there is a cheat to warp to level X than if there isn't. Whether the makers condone or condemn cheats, they should put them in either way, and let the person who owns the software decide if they want to use them.
Old 05-01-03, 03:30 AM

I agree with you 100%. I have been saying that for a while now. Back in the NES days and it seemed like the majority of games had cheats or cool little secrets you didnt need to unlock. Cheats seemed to start going downhill for the PSX, maybe the N64 but I never had one so I cant really say. Even now the games that do come with cheats they come with pretty crappy ones. We have excellent graphics now, but theres a lot of things that used to be fun in the classics that are missing from the new gen. games. Ah well, I guess you cant have everything all the time .
Old 05-01-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I don't agree that all console games should have "gameplay" cheats - ie, unlimited ammo, unlimited time, invincibility mode. I do agree that all games should have an "unlock all levels/vehicles/weapons" cheat.
Old 05-01-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

although, i think "locking" levels is kind of lame... especially only you are given only 1 or 2 levels to play, imho, cheats are dumb. i remember when easter eggs were cool little suprises... now they're obligatory.
Old 05-01-03, 12:23 PM

"Locking" stuff sucks. Personally, I recently bought Need For Speed 2. Love that series... have all the prior PC releases.

But on the XBox version, I can't access all the cars or courses. I just want to have fun, avoid the cops, and drive cool cars on cool courses. Having to jump through all the hoops to earn points so I can drive other cars is just damned annoying. *sigh*
Old 05-01-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Locked secrets = forced replay value. I hate them
Old 05-01-03, 04:06 PM

I hear you on NFS for Xbox. Its like DEAD TO RIGHT, while the PS2 has a build in cheat, the x-box doesnt, and that game has many many frustrating spots, and that dang thing saves on beginning of each level, and if your health is very very low, you keep replaying it your health being one shot you are dead. I almost broke this disc twice throwing it across my roon! I bought it for X-box's graphics, but wished I bought the PS2 edition instead, so I can use the cheats on the impossbile levels!
Old 05-01-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too agree that level and weapons cheats should be mandatory. TimeSplitter 2 SUCKS only because of the locked modes and levels. That's BS. It's a great game and I would play it far more with friends if I didn't have to spend forever in single player mode.

Most of my multiplayer games only get played when people are over. I play those games when company is over and then when I'm alone I focus on a game designed for 1 person. With a few exceptions this is a rule I follow.

We need codes or far less locked items.
Old 05-01-03, 05:46 PM

RoQuEr, you are right on. Maybe for some it is nice to play through to unlock things, but it ticks me off to HAVE to play through single player levels, when I am interested in multi-player. Why? Some games I just don't have the patience to play through so I just end up missing out on all the games options. I honestly can't think of any good reason to lock access on games.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 05-02-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is like Ghost Recon on the XBox. I want to play on line only. I hate that I have to play solo to unlock certain weapons. I am trying to copy a friends missions to avoid this.