Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS0 III for GC ;)

Old 04-28-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS0 III for GC ;)

April 28, 2003 - Just weeks before the big E3 2003 trade show, Sega today has yanked the lid clean off its E3 software line-up and revealed one of its major GameCube contenders: Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution. The title is a sequel to last year's Episode I & II, which was the first (and as of this time, only) online title to ship for Nintendo's console. The "Episode III" title signifies the extension of the same Ragol storyline, world, environments, and creatures found in the first two episodes, but Sega is taking a brand-new gameplay direction this time around.

As one might guess from the "C.A.R.D." suffix, PSO Episode III for GameCube will replace its staple real-time action combat with a new turn-based strategy gameplay that revolves around collecting and using cards. This new gameplay style should place it alongside similar card-based RPGs as Activisions's Lost Kingdoms and the soon-to-be-released Lost Kingdoms II. So now instead of controlling characters and dodging enemy attacks in real-time 3D environments, PSO players will be dishing out strategic attacks, managing their card deck settings, and chatting online with other players on the best card tactics. If Sega delivers, the traditional PSO polish and online play mixed with this new strategy element could very well combine to become the best RPG of its type on the system.

As before, Episode III will also feature an offline gameplay mode for those without the benefits of online access, in addition to split-screen multi-player modes. While no specific release dates have been announced for either Japan or the U.S., we're expecting the title to hit American store shelves as early as this upcoming 2003 holiday season. No further details were released at this pre-E3 stage, and we're certainly hoping that Sega will come to its senses and release an official keyboard or voice adapter this time around. We'll have to wait a couple more weeks until E3 hits before we can get a look at Episode III for ourselves, and we'll be reporting right back with more details then. In the meantime, be sure to check out these first screenshots in the media section below, or by clicking the smaller images on the right. Stay tuned, GameCube Hunters.
Old 04-28-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-28-03, 10:34 PM
Banned

Cards? WTF!
Old 04-28-03, 10:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sounds like a miserable attempt to capitalize on Yu-Gi-Oh.
Old 04-28-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
WTG gamecube!
Old 04-29-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Again.. this is easily one of the dumbest ideas I've heard of. Turn based combat online. What if one player gets up to take a dump? Everyone else is forced to wait for him to return and make his move? Blah.

Thank heavens PSO I&II finally came out for Xbox..
Old 04-29-03, 03:44 PM

I guess I'm alone in thinking this will be great. Normally I'd be worried, but this is Sega and Sonic Team. I trust them.