Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Eat...Sleep...Drink...get good deals at Target...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i may have posted this before. At target, when something is on sale and they run out of stock, you can get a raincheck. You can use the raincheck to get the same item for the sale price up to 1 month after you receive it, or you can get another item in the same category for the same % discount. There are some exclusions, of course.

So this week, i got a raincheck for Devil May Cry 2. I can use it to buy DMC2 for $27.88 when they get it in, or i can use it to save 45% off any PS2 game i want.

BTW there's no limit to how many times you can do this. I used this to nail a dozen or so GBA games for only $10 a piece.
Old 04-28-03, 05:59 PM

What would be the exceptions? A while back they had Tarzan for $8, you telling me I could have gotten a raincheck for it then bought some $50 game for $8?
Old 04-28-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

really?

I can get a rain check for a game that's out of stock and use that same rain check to buy something else at 45% off!?

I thought rain checks were only used for that particular item asked for?
Old 04-28-03, 08:56 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure you can't do it that way. I may be wrong though.

Wait a minute, now that I think about it...

You just might.
Old 04-28-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a former employee at Target (and have worked as the Customer Service Desk for three months) I have never read or heard anything like this. In fact, the computer system on the cash registers requires that a raincheck has to be printed out in order to be honored.

I have never heard anything like this, but then again, maybe it never happened at the Target I worked at...
Old 04-28-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DGibFen
As a former employee at Target (and have worked as the Customer Service Desk for three months) I have never read or heard anything like this. In fact, the computer system on the cash registers requires that a raincheck has to be printed out in order to be honored.

I have never heard anything like this, but then again, maybe it never happened at the Target I worked at...
That sounds right to me, but like lesterlong said...I could be wrong.

I wonder if I Raincheck a 8.99 DVD and they don't get it back in on time, would I be able to pick any DVD and get it for that price. Doesn't sound right.
Old 04-29-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To answer all your questions...

Yes, you do have to get a raincheck printed out. Just ask a CSR to print you one for something out of stock.

So far i've only used it for videogames, i haven't tried DVDs or anything else. I think hardware is excluded. Sale prices only, no B&M price reductions. Sale prices vary from store to store.

You don't get a different item for the same discounted price, but for the same discount percentage. Let's say X game is normally priced $49.99, and it's on sale for $24.99. That's a savings of about 50%. If you got a raincheck, you could buy X game when it comes in stock again for $24.99, or you could get another game within the same hardware category for a $50 discount. Usually, the cheaper a game is, the better the % discount is; like someone said, Tarzan was on sale for $8, and it's normally $20, which is a savings of 60%. So that means you could potentially buy as many $50 games for $20 if Tarzan was out of stock when it was on sale and you got rainchecks for it.

I've done this over a dozen times and i've never gotten any guff from any managers or CSRs over it. Every transaction was as smooth as butter. Sometimes, when a game rang up incredibly cheap even the CSR couldn't believe it.
Old 04-30-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ok how are you doing this. everytime i have had a raincheck i was given the correct product and expected to buy it after i presented my raincheck.

do you just say i do not want this game i want that game instead?

do you just have them get a different game out then present the raincheck and the computer automatically deducts the discount?
Old 04-30-03, 01:30 AM

As much as I would love to try this, my target has tons of DMC2 and anything else thats $27.88
Old 04-30-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know any Xbox game that has a 50% or 60% off?
Old 04-30-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
ok how are you doing this. everytime i have had a raincheck i was given the correct product and expected to buy it after i presented my raincheck.

do you just say i do not want this game i want that game instead?

do you just have them get a different game out then present the raincheck and the computer automatically deducts the discount?
I just pick out a game, and then say "hey, can i use this raincheck?" it's that easy...at least for me.
Old 04-30-03, 06:07 PM
Banned

I don't think its printed on the raincheck "Devil May Cry 2" probably something like "Playstation 2 game" and then the price. I wouldn't try this at my store.
Old 05-03-03, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Went to Target and got a raincheck for DMC2.

A few things:

1. It does print out the title of the game and discount price.

2. Receipt expires after 45 days.

3. It does say can be used towards another title in the same category and has the discount % printed.

A few questions:

1. How soon can it be used towards a different item? On the last day of the raincheck or any time in between? The csr said on the last day, what have you guys experienced?

2. Also, I was informed it can only be used within the same system, therefore, I can only buy another PS2 game. Has anyone been able to use it for games on different systems?

3. Are all my questions answered by YMMV?
Old 05-03-03, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. 5 minutes later to the same guy i got the raincheck from. I'm not joking.

2. Can only be used within the same hardware category, so no.

3. I've been to several different Targets and they've all given me no trouble about it. I live in Southern California. Some stores do not offer rainchecks in the first place.
Old 05-05-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As Gideon68 stated in point number 3, it is printed on the raincheck that it can be used towards another item in the same category for the same %off. I had a raincheck for the AFI CD when it was only $6.99, something like 68% off. Like a dumbass, I got the AFI CD, I should have used it for Meteora LE, which I bought on the same day.
Old 05-05-03, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up ZOE 2 for PS2 for only $27.
Old 05-05-03, 02:02 PM

I noticed this same thing when I got my raincheck for one of the DVD's that they had on sale recently. The words that got printed on it said something along the lines that "this raincheck can be redeemed for 40% off discount of 'Such-and-Such-Title', OR any other DVD in store."

<small>I'll see if I could swing by Target sometime this week and get a raincheck for something just to verify this.</small>
Old 05-08-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally tried using the Rain Check and was unsuccessful at 2 Targets in the Bay Area.

The supervisors in charge said it had to be another game priced at $49.99 or higher even though it doesn't state that on the printout.

Did I read the rain check wrong or are they not following what the paragraph says? Tell me what you guys think, here is the paragraph in question:

"It may also be used to receive the same percentage off a regular priced substitute item within the same product category."

The way I interpret this:

If you buy a greatest hits game at $19.99, then you get 45% off of it, final price $10.99. The paragraph doesn't state the game has to be worth $49.99 to use the rain check.
Old 05-08-03, 11:14 PM

Managers will sometimes sleaze their way out of giving out deals that seem too good for them. I would such calling corporate .