DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Best Video Game Cinematics--- (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/288814-best-video-game-cinematics.html)

Jack_Savage 04-27-03 01:53 PM

Best Video Game Cinematics---

I have to be honest Im really into cinematics, hell thats the reason i own warcraft and fallout.
But other then the FF series what are some other decent onces, and im not looking for "anime" type stuff.

THanks

Lastblade 04-27-03 01:57 PM

Panzer Dragoon Series, Metal Gear Solid 1 (maybe 2 as well but the story is too ridiculous for me to enjoy it), Xenosaga...

Jack_Savage 04-27-03 02:13 PM

Metal gear solid 1 didnt have any cinematics, it was just pictures with words. Metal Gear 2 did have some smokin ones, even though the game is well.................

Simpson Purist 04-27-03 03:18 PM

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City had some short, yet often hilarious cinematics. I love those little quips that Tommy makes after he hears about the missions.

Groucho 04-27-03 03:21 PM

Diablo 2 has some killer cinematics.

al_bundy 04-27-03 03:36 PM

Blizzard has the best ones. Westwood used to have decent ones with command and conquer, but not they were OK. FF also had some really good ones.

Young Vito 04-27-03 03:43 PM

Warcraft 3,
the clip where the dark prince comes back to his fathers kingdom, my god, the detail in every strand of hair, and his outfit is crazy!

Sloth911 04-27-03 05:47 PM

Halo was pretty good at imersing you into the gameplay with cinematics, they weren't to long -- just to enough to get you "into" the next level, and all excited

Superboy 04-27-03 05:52 PM

The Panzer Dragoon Series had some of the best cinematics ever for it's time. They're all hidden in PDO, which is cool.

The best cinemas ever on PC were all made by Blizzard, Bullfrog, and Sierra.

random123 04-27-03 07:04 PM

all of the blizzard ones are good for the time when they come out, MGS2 had killer ones though, they were amazing!

Gallant Pig 04-27-03 07:40 PM

Final Fantasy 7 would look great in a higher resolution.

PixyJunket 04-27-03 07:46 PM

NONE ;)

Outlaw 04-27-03 08:47 PM

Xenosaga: Episode I has some of the best cinematics I've ever seen on a console, even the realtime cinemas are done well. MGS2 and FFX are pretty good too.

But my all time favorite would be Vagrant Story. They aren't that frequent or long but the art direction and visual style is pure goodness. :)

Mattalos 04-27-03 10:13 PM

If you consider MGS2 to have cinematics, then so does MGS. They're both done with the game engine, and MGS1's were awesome (for the time).

And Outlaw, damn good call on Vagrant Story. Best cinematography ever! There's a reason that game got a perfect 40 from Famitsu.

Captain Harlock 04-28-03 09:30 AM

Definitley Metal Gear Solid. The cinematic/cutscene with Snake kneeling over a mortally wounded Sniper Wolf is the kind of scene that big Hollywood directors can only dream of making.

In Metal Gear Solid: 2 Sons Of Liberty, Hideo Kojima did it again in that scene with Snake, Raiden, and Otacon when he was holding a dying Emma in his arms.

It's moments like those that seperate Metal Gear from the pack.

The Franchise 04-28-03 09:54 AM

FFVIII all the way for this one. It's the only intor cinematic that friends would come by to watch. Frickin' amazing.

MGS2 also has some of the highest quality cinemas as far as in-game engines are concerned. OddWorld on the PS1 had some great cinemas as well.

The Franchise 04-28-03 09:54 AM

FFVIII all the way for this one. It's the only intro cinematic that friends would come by to watch. Frickin' amazing.

MGS2 also has some of the highest quality cinemas as far as in-game engines are concerned. OddWorld on the PS1 had some great cinemas as well.

Skank 04-28-03 10:29 AM

What? Nobody's mentioned Resident Evil (remake) or RE:0 yet?!

Skank 04-28-03 10:33 AM

Soul Reaver 2 had some pretty nice FMV come to think of it...

sdcrym 04-28-03 03:07 PM

While the picture quality/graphics weren't the greatest, the cut scenes in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem were excellent. The voice and audio were great. Overall, the scenes were well put together and added a lot to the story.

fmian 04-28-03 03:29 PM

ahem...

Blade Runner on the PC.

They were so good it was scary.

The KEG 04-28-03 10:56 PM

May be old, and not comparable to some of the newer ones, but the intro to Soul Blade still is awesome looking to me. I used to watch that intro everytime I turned that game on to play.

keyed 04-29-03 12:13 AM

Wing Commander 3

fmian 04-29-03 03:12 AM

Originally posted by keyed
Wing Commander 3
Isn't that mostly live action footage with some CG backgrounds via blue screen?

young 04-29-03 09:15 AM

i like how the warcraft iii collectors' version came w/ a dvd that had all the cinematics. i think they're excellent for being produced by a game company. but, you can see some of the lack of cinematic skill.

isn't xenosaga supposed to be one long cinematic?