DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   A Simpsons GTA clone? It's coming... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/288405-simpsons-gta-clone-its-coming.html)

Simpson Purist 04-25-03 07:20 AM

A Simpsons GTA clone? It's coming...

From IGN.com:

The Simpsons: Hit and Run developed by Radical Entertainment for PS2, Xbox, GameCube, and PC will feature all of our favorite Simpsons characters and will play out in a similar fashion to Grand Theft Auto; that is, a car-themed adventure game. There are over 2,500 lines of written dialogue from the show's writers in addition to spoken dialogue from the original voice talent. Players will cruise around a fully rendered Springfield in more than 70 missions across seven huge levels, which include racing, collecting, and "out-of-car experiences." The game will also boast a four-player multiplayer mode. Simpsons fans should look forward to a fall 2003 release.
Here's some screenshots.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/..._042403_03.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/..._042403_02.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/..._042403_01.jpg

BigPete 04-25-03 07:30 AM

Why on earth wouldn't they use cell-shaded graphics for this? Hell, that Loony Tunes racer on Dreamcast looked damn near flawless. These screenshots, on the other hand, don't look that great.

Decker 04-25-03 08:40 AM

Anyone who still expects a Simpson game to be any good deserves to be out the $50 it'll cost for their next crappy game.

PixyJunket 04-25-03 08:50 AM

Games like this make Baby Jesus cry. :(

Thunderball 04-25-03 09:39 AM

I'm going to buy this. I hope Bart can use an AK

Groucho 04-25-03 09:46 AM

I was the only person who enjoyed "Simpson's Road Rage." I'll probably check this one out as well.

Simpson Purist 04-25-03 09:51 AM

I thought Road Rage was decent, but had very little in terms of replayability. I hope this one will improve on that aspect.

Captain Harlock 04-25-03 09:52 AM

I like the idea of a free roaming Simpson's game. But whether or not they can pull it off is another story.

I think the reason that they don't use cel shaded characters is because that Halloween episode with the segment "Homer 3" ( or cubed, the scientific term for a three dimensional object). Programmers must be thinking of that every time a Simpsons game is green lighted.

Rogue588 04-25-03 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
I was the only person who enjoyed "Simpson's Road Rage."
:wave: You're not alone.. ;)

Bluebomber 04-25-03 12:07 PM

Sounds like a fun game in theory, i'll at least rent it

mmconhea 04-25-03 01:32 PM

No doubt this "clone" is just a way to get a game that's immersive in the Simpson's world. I've been waiting a ling time for a game like this. I hope you can visit all the hot spots illustrated here:
*Warning LARGE*
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jelerma/sp...spring_map.gif

OzFan23 04-25-03 02:29 PM

Two words for you guys that think this game has any chance of being good:

SIMPSONS SKATEBOARDING !!!!!!!!

Nuff said

Jackskeleton 04-25-03 02:50 PM

The real question.. GTA is rated for the older.. a simpsons version will obviously be targeted to a younger audiance.

ClarkKentKY 04-25-03 03:34 PM

MoJo And Mr. Teeny could do better things with the simpsons license.

I got an idea, how about an original concept for a game, rather than ripping off the hottest thing at the time and doing a sucky job of it....

...Or Simpsons Football. Which ever comes first.

trigun 04-25-03 04:09 PM

Must resist...temptation...to...:yack:

cali99boy 04-25-03 05:45 PM

Its look fun to me lol.. :)

durden007 04-26-03 03:18 AM

multi - system

One thing I found interesting about this is that it will be multi-platform. So Xbox and Cube owners can get a GTA-style game. Granted, I dont think it will be anywhere as good, but you never know until you play it.

madcougar 04-26-03 04:45 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
I was the only person who enjoyed "Simpson's Road Rage." I'll probably check this one out as well.
Liar! I enjoyed it too! And will probably check this out as well.

kar10 04-26-03 08:37 AM

How about..........

What if....

Rockstar was making this title and makes it into a Grand Theft Auto Simpsons?:eyebrow:

psxfan2 04-26-03 08:48 AM

The real question.. GTA is rated for the older.. a simpsons version will obviously be targeted to a younger audiance
your probably right, but why since there are so many adult simpsons fans, would it be so difficult to put out to versions of the game.
this happens to often with racing games with the cigarette and beer co. names removed and divers names put in there place, (oh yeah, very realistic).
like i'm sure if some kid is playing a nascar or f1 game and some beer logo on a billboard is gonna make him/her want to pop open a brew, gimme a break.

tha_dvd_man 04-26-03 12:57 PM

I hate to admit it, but I'll probably be renting the game.

Of course, this game will be nothing like it, but I've always dreamed of an adventure/RPG-like Simpsons game that took place in Springfield where nearly every location that has been in the show at least a couple times--from the gorge to the Kwik-E-Mart to the Isotopes baseball field to Bart's tree hosue--is present in the game, fully modeled down to every little funny detail. Your home base would be 742 Evergreen Terrace, which would be meticulously detailed in terms of references to areas and 'stuff' from all of the episodes, as would all of the primary Springfield locations.

All the characters would be in the game, voiced by the real actors, and the story and dialogue would be written by the early Simpsons writers. It would actually be funny.

The plot would somehow involve Mr. Burns trying to take over Springfield, which you, as various members of the Simpson family, would try to solve. But there would be all sorts of side-quests and mini-games involving Apu, Krusty, Chief Wiggum, Principal Skinner, Nelson, Flanders, Moe, Captain McAllister, Lionel Hutz, Lenny and Carl, Snake, and so on.

You could do anything in the game, including shopping for items at the Kwik-E-Mart, learn fighting moves at Akira's karate class, beat up Martin (Newton translation: eat up Martha) for knowledge and vital information, as Lisa solve crimes (perhaps related to the main plot?) for the idiots at the Springfield Police Department, as Bart outwit Sideshow Bob and get him arrested, get into various feuds with Shelbyville, and play actual games from the show at the Noiseland Arcade.

One of the bigger events of the game would involve rescuing Maggie from Burnes's gigantic mansion, and the entire game would culminate to some sort of showdown, although not necessarily a battle, with Burnes at the Nuclear Power Plant.

And, of course, the game would be cel-shaded in the same vein as Zelda: Wind Waker for that nice 2D look in a fully 3D environment.

Oh, and NO celebrity guest appearances.

Such is my dream game. It will never be. :( But if I became a billionaire, this is the game I would fund, at any cost.

tha_dvd_man 04-26-03 01:37 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea
No doubt this "clone" is just a way to get a game that's immersive in the Simpson's world. I've been waiting a ling time for a game like this. I hope you can visit all the hot spots illustrated here:
*Warning LARGE*
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jelerma/sp...spring_map.gif

Awesome map. How much of it is 'official', and how much is fan-made?

lesterlong 04-26-03 03:15 PM

Sounds cool, but do you get pick up hookers? Or gun down police men? Looking like GTA is not nearly enough.

Gdrlv 04-27-03 01:04 PM

Looks fun to me. Hope it's done better than most Simpsons games.

Also, I'll admit to liking Road Rage. The load times were absolutely ridiculous though.