DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   June EGM Scores (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/287942-june-egm-scores.html)

mrglass 04-23-03 09:13 AM

June EGM Scores

Check out the new magazine format here:
http://zinio.com/delivery?issn=1058-...1&bd=1&r=first

PS2:
Midnight Club II - 9.0, 8.0, 9.5
Choplifter: Crisis Shield - 5.5, 5.5, 7.0
Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color - 7.5, 8.0, 7.5
.hack part 2 - 6.0, 6.5, 8.0
Auto Modellista - 5.0, 5.5, 7.0

GC:
Batman: Dark Tomorrow - 2.0, 1.5, 1.0
Lost Kingdoms II - 5.0, 6.0, 7.0
Mega Man Network Transmission - 6.0, 6.5, 5.5
Sonic Adventure DX - 7.0, 6.5, 4.5
Burnout 2 - 7.5, 8.0, 8.5
Splinter Cell - 8.5, 9.5, 9.0
Conflict: Desert Storm - 5.5, 5.5, 6.5

Xbox:
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 - 6.0, 6.0, 7.0
Clone Wars - 7.0, 7.0, 6.5
Lotus Challenge - 4.0, 3.5, 4.5
Inside Pitch 2003 - 5.5, 6.0, 5.5

GBA:
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - 9.5, 9.0, 9.5 (Game of the month)
Splinter Cell - 4.0, 7.5, 6.5
Mega Man Battle Network 3 - 7.5, 8.5, 6.5
Wario Ware Inc: Mega Microgames - 9.0, 9.5, 9.0

PS1:
Dragonball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 - 2.0, 1.5, 2.0

jrutz 04-23-03 09:34 AM

Not too many surprises in this issue. I thoght Midnight Club II would have received higher scores. It also made me glad I didn't wait for Inside Pitch 203.

Thanks for posting!

Jeremy

Groucho 04-23-03 09:41 AM

Ugh. Another slow month.

tanman 04-23-03 12:35 PM

Big Disappointments:

Batman Dark Tommorrow (although I already knew that it was bad)

and Auto Modelista I thought this was an incredible concept for a game, what happened. The graphics looked really cool.

I'm surprised the Wario Ware ranked so high, just under Castlevania. A collection of a bunch of minigames doesn't seems like it would appeal so much.

Josh H 04-23-03 12:37 PM

Looks like another great Castlevania GBA game. :D

Other than that nothing of interest. I am interested to get the issue and check out the new format though. The link just went to a log in screen.

ClarkKentKY 04-23-03 12:57 PM

Well i thought auto modellista looked like crap since its first preview. I was surprised at how much press it got. I'm glad i don't have to hear the hype around it anymore.

Too bad about Batman... looks like the curse continues. I heard somewhere that it was worse than Superman64.

Hopefully we'll see some good stuff come out of E3, cause i havn't bought a game since November. (PS2 owner)

Josh H 04-23-03 01:06 PM

Yeah I thought Auto Modellista looked like crap from the start. If it had been a straight up arcade racer I could have bought into it.

But to go for sim type gameplay with cel shaded graphics just doesn't work for me. I usually don't give a crap about graphics, but for racing games I prefer the realistic sim games (namely the GT series) and it just isn't the same without realistic car models IMO.

AgtFox 04-23-03 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Other than that nothing of interest. I am interested to get the issue and check out the new format though. The link just went to a log in screen.
Yeah, you put your info in with a password, download the reader and then it downloads the EGM.

I do not like the new Review look. The rest of the look is pretty cool though. The Review's feel a lot like Game Informer on the concept level. Big things are there are 3 reviews to EVERY game and more shots of the games.

I am wondering what they will do when a big game comes out. They now have 2-3 reviews per page except for those special ones like Midnight Club II and Aria of Sorrows.

Josh H 04-23-03 01:09 PM

I imagine they'll just give big reviews a few pages just like they have recently with games like Zelda, Metroid, GTA Vice City etc.

Superboy 04-24-03 12:32 AM

Superman 64 was poorly designed.

Batman: Dark Tomorrow was poorly executed.

I'm surprised they were so generous with their awards.

outcastja 04-27-03 03:37 AM

I don't like this new layout, especially the previews section since there are like 3 games jammed into one page. Feels like all the text and pics are all crammed together.

boston george 04-27-03 06:52 AM

Originally posted by jrutz
Not too many surprises in this issue. I thoght Midnight Club II would have received higher scores. It also made me glad I didn't wait for Inside Pitch 203.

Thanks for posting!

Jeremy

9.0 8.0 9.5 aren't high enough? I love this game as much as anybody but I think these scores are pretty accurate.

darkside 04-27-03 11:42 AM

Better download my copy and read it. :)

That Wario Ware has gotten rave reviews for being an addictive and fun game concept. Don't know if I would buy it though.

Can't wait for Castlevania, but I'm passing on every console offering this month.

Joe Molotov 04-27-03 11:56 PM

I was hoping Mega Man Network Transmission would get a little better score than that. I'll probably check it out anyway because it looks pretty cool.

Josh H 04-28-03 08:17 PM

The mega man scores were low because it's too difficult to play. All three reviewers said it was just too frustratingly difficult to get any enjoyment out of it.

Anyway, I got my new issue and I like the redesign. My only dissapointment was a couple issues back they'd hinted at changing the review format, but other than the layout, having 3 reviewers for every game, and the "shame of the month" there's nothing different.

Not much of an improvement IMO. The games that only got one reviewer before where either crap games no one in their right mind is going to want to play, or a game that already got a full review on another console, so that's no big deal. I was hoping for a little longer, more detailed reviews myself.

tanman 04-30-03 01:30 PM

I think the layout is okay.

There is not enough text though in previews section. That is one reason why I like Game Informer. Sometimes they have too much but there is much more then in any of the other magazines.