DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Most unexpected thing that happened during a game that turned out to be funny (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/287594-most-unexpected-thing-happened-during-game-turned-out-funny.html)

Braddok 04-21-03 06:58 PM

Most unexpected thing that happened during a game that turned out to be funny

A few years ago, I brought my WWF Royal Rumble for Genesis over to a friends house. I did not know it at the time, but if you hit the ref from behind, you could knock him out for a little while.

I don't remember all the details but I know I was playing with Randy Savage. We were playing a tag match and I went to run across the ring and plowed into the ref from behind.Well he goes down and out. It was so suprising to me that I thought it was hysterical. My friend had to pause the game until I regained my composure.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

trigun 04-21-03 11:17 PM

A roommate and I were playing a PSX NBA Shootout game that we rented. We almost busted a gut when I dunked from the 3 point line with Rex Chapman. No, it wasn't on NBA Jam mode.

Mongo 04-22-03 06:53 AM

I guess it wasn't completely unexpected since the game was advertised as being somewhat of a satire, but for me No One Lives Forever was one of the funniest games I've ever played. The conversations between guards is hysterical.

One of these days I really need to pick up the sequel.

finbogg 04-22-03 12:15 PM

I'd have to go with my HALO grenade mishap. I threw a plasma grenade at one of the Grunts and stuck it to him. At the same time I shot him and made him drop the grenade he had pulled out. Then I ducked around the corner to wait out the explosions. His grenade goes off first and propels his body right past the corner where I was hiding. Then right as the dead Grunt is going past my view, my plasma grenade (still attached to the body) goes off and kills me. Gotta love that physics engine.

mwestep 04-22-03 12:20 PM

Ok, for me is when I bought NFL Gameday 2001 for the PS2 for like 7.99. I was thinking even if the game sucks, I am not out much money. I didn't realize there were so many glitches in the game, but the funniest one was that I ran the hail mary play. The receiver caught it, and at about the 25 yard line, he kicks a field goal... I have no idea how or why it happened, but I ended up getting 3 points instead of the 7 I should have gotten. If it was a game like NFL 2k3 or Madden, I would be pissed, but gameday was really glitchy. Me and my friends had a good laugh about that.

Feneant 04-22-03 05:27 PM

My funniest moment was in Tactical Ops for Unreal Tournament. I was on dialup and laggy and I wanted to nade in a building. I took out my gun and shot on the window, but the lag made is it so I missed and the naded bounced back and hit me, I laughed pretty hard at that.

haplo73 04-22-03 08:01 PM

Red Faction

I like playing around when I play games, like shooting my (computer-controlled) teammates and whatnot. Anyway, there is a point in the game when you meet up with a character in person that has been guiding you through the intercom system before. Anyway, I threw a satchel charge on him and it sticks to his body and he starts running around with his arms waving above his head. This was LMAO funny!!

Darkfriend 04-22-03 09:31 PM

On "Smackdown: Shut your mouth" for PS2 my friend and I always choose the "Smackdown " arena because you can climb on the huge fist high above and do some silly acrobatics that would kill the average wrestler!!

boc4ever 04-22-03 10:56 PM

Both happened during Vice City.

I jacked a car and kept hearing this screaming. At first I thought it was on the radio station and it was driving me nuts. Then I noticed there was a passenger in the vehicle. When I stopped the vehicle, they jumped out and fled.

The other day I picked up a prostitute with a bus and proceeded to take her to an undisclosed location. Then the whole bus rocked back and forth. I didn't think you could do that with such a large vehicle!

nickdawgy 05-20-03 04:46 PM

I was gonna start a new thread about funny moments, good thing I searched first :D

Anyhow, I have a few funny ones....

In GTA 3: I was driving on the lift bridge back to Staunton Island, and my car flipped over right before the lift went up. So I had to jack another one. By this time, the lift had risen, and I found a car. So I jack it, and the guy starts running away. Right off the end of the bridge. Comedy.

in Mafia: I had jacked this car from an old man, and it turns out he has a gun. So he's shooting me while I run away from him, chasing me in and out of traffic. I lose him, then come back and hit him from behind. I beat him down a few times, and he's almost dead. So he gets up, and runs away scared, right into the path of an oncoming trolley. The timing was perfect, lol.

Okay this isn't really a random event, but one time I was playing WSB 2k3, and I checked the other teams DL, and saw Mo Vaughn on the 15 day DL with "personal problems" I thought that was a nice touch.

:D

gcribbs 05-20-03 06:55 PM

I was really into a late night gaming session of Eye of the Beholder. I was really getting into the game wandering the dungeon looking for things to fight and treasure. My wife was in the other room still up watching something.

I round a corner and boom a huge spider is on the screen attacking me. I actually jumped back and must have said something like wtf since my wife came in wanting to now what was going on :o

It never pays to get that much into a game :)

nickdawgy 05-20-03 07:16 PM

lol, I have had that happen to me before. Expect the unexpected, eh?

:)

Braddok 05-20-03 07:21 PM

gcribbs - your post reminded me of another. I was playing Doom (Still my favorite game) and I was on the phone at the same time. A Cacodemon jumped out from behing a corner and startled me so much I said "Holy S&$t" and dropped the phone and controller.

CaptDS9E 05-20-03 07:30 PM

To tell ya the truth ive had so many funny game moments i cant remember most of the details form laughing so hard. But there was a game on the PC where i was walking along and all of a sudden my charector fell into the floor and was stuck. The guy's legs looked like he was running in place stuck on the floor. Funny stuff

capt

sniper308 05-20-03 07:45 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
I was really into a late night gaming session of Eye of the Beholder. I was really getting into the game wandering the dungeon looking for things to fight and treasure. My wife was in the other room still up watching something.

I round a corner and boom a huge spider is on the screen attacking me. I actually jumped back and must have said something like wtf since my wife came in wanting to now what was going on :o

It never pays to get that much into a game :)

My wife's favorite hobby was coming out late at night and scaring the hell out of me while playing the Resident Evil series ... she's been trying to do it while I've been playing Halo lately and she doesn't understand why I don't jump out of my seat now... :D

Tyler_Durden 05-21-03 06:22 PM

One mission in GTA3 resulted in a wonderful situation at the end. The mission required me to retrieve some documents and then get them to a certain place. The thing was, though, that as soon as I acquired said documents just about all the cops in the city came after me. I decided, of course, not to try to battle the cops and instead drove like hell.

But my car got smashed up pretty badly during the high-speed pursuit, and by the time I got to the place where I was supposed to drop off the documents there were so many cop cars on my tail that I had no choice but to crash against the wall of the building in front of which the blue circle (my target) was.

As I crashed the car it started to burn, and I got out immediately. However, the problem was that I couldn't reach the blue circle because it was blocked by quite a few cop cars. To make matters worse, as soon as I got out of the car all the cops got out of theirs and promptly opened fire.

I had full armor and health and I made a run for it. As I got behind the corner of the building all of my armor was gone and my energy amounted to a whopping 4. I then heard a number of explosions, and as I turned back and looked at where I had crashed the car I saw about ten blown-up vehicles, a great many dead cops and several weapons. I then slowly walked back, collected the weapons and completed the mission.

What made this moment unforgettable for me was that it all happened incredibly fast and that when I crashed the car I just new it was over and I would die either in an explosion or in a hail of bullets. Life's little ironies, I guess.

nickdawgy 05-21-03 08:04 PM

lol, I am surprised you didn't get killed. Often, I found myself with less then 10hp left, and able to make a run for it

very tense game.....

:D

ivelostr2 05-21-03 09:33 PM

One night I was tired and My girlfriend had left to go home, but I wanted to stay up for her to call, so i tossed in nascar thunder and played a race in my season. While waiting for her to call me I fell asleep and crashed into a wall, and the duel shock coupled with the loud noise from my surround sound when I caused a huge accident and hit turn 3 scared the **** out of me.

outcastja 05-21-03 11:46 PM

MGS2 had a lot, slipping on bird crap, guard taking a leak, Raidan in the torture room, and a lot of others I'm forgetting.

eedoon 05-22-03 12:08 AM

Years ago when I was playing Crusader: No Regret during Christmas season the soundtrack changes from the usual track to Christmas song. It's kinda funny to shoot and destroy while listening to those music.

Giantrobo 05-22-03 02:54 AM

Originally posted by finbogg
I'd have to go with my HALO grenade mishap. I threw a plasma grenade at one of the Grunts and stuck it to him. At the same time I shot him and made him drop the grenade he had pulled out. Then I ducked around the corner to wait out the explosions. His grenade goes off first and propels his body right past the corner where I was hiding. Then right as the dead Grunt is going past my view, my plasma grenade (still attached to the body) goes off and kills me. Gotta love that physics engine.

:lol:

I love when you shoot the Captian on the ship and when you kill grunt and they all turn on you :lol: