Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Quick GBA Flood Light Question

Old 04-19-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quick GBA Flood Light Question

I've had a Flood Light for over one year. I really like it (which is the main reason I haven't coughed up the c-note for the SP yet), but one thing sorta bothers me. If I turn on that light in a dark room, the light will not come on, no matter how long I wait. If I just flick on a bedside lamp for even a split second, the Flood Light will come on and stay lit. Why is that???
Old 04-19-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Quick GBA Flood Light Question

Originally posted by Decker
I've had a Flood Light for over one year. I really like it (which is the main reason I haven't coughed up the c-note for the SP yet), but one thing sorta bothers me. If I turn on that light in a dark room, the light will not come on, no matter how long I wait. If I just flick on a bedside lamp for even a split second, the Flood Light will come on and stay lit. Why is that???
Interesting as the review on this page mentions the same issue

http://www.buy.com/retail/games/prod...p?sku=50012141

Anyway, not sure but maybe it has a photosensor that works on lighting changes, rather than just the absence of light?
Old 04-20-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, that review was talking about the light flickering. I can't get mine to turn on in the dark. I don't understand why it would have a photocell since it has an on/off switch.

It never fails, I just tried it again. It won't turn on in the dark. Man, is that weird! Someone has got to know why....
Old 04-20-03, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish I had your problems.
Old 04-20-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ben12
I wish I had your problems.
There's really no need for sarcasm. I never said I had a problem, just a question. I'm curious, and there are a lot of intelligent people in this forum, one of whom might know the answer to my question about this small fluorescent light. Thanks for making it abundantly clear that you are not one of them.
Old 04-21-03, 08:38 AM

Im not sure about your problem but I have a question for you. Is the flood light better than a wormlight? I cant see the screen very well using the wormlight and was looking for an alternative other than the afterburner or the SP. Any thoughts?
Old 04-21-03, 09:19 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

The flood light is much better, less glare. And i think i have an answer for you.

This is not scientific but here's my theory. I've noticed how flourescent lights that are 'sticking' and not turning on right away will respond if you 'pet' the tube. There is charged particles exciting the phosporos coating inside the tube and small changes in static or 'electromagnetic field' outside the tube can get them to respond. Flourescent bulbs will light if you put them in the microwave (dont try this at home) and they will light if you hold them close to high tension power lines (top of a telephone pole). They are sensitive and i suspect that the little one inside the flood light will respond to changes in the room around it.
Old 04-21-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm... Maybe that's it. And to answer the previous question : Yes, it's much better. Short of an SP or and Afterburner, the Flood light is the best solution available.
Old 04-21-03, 01:31 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Im not sure about your problem but I have a question for you. Is the flood light better than a wormlight? I cant see the screen very well using the wormlight and was looking for an alternative other than the afterburner or the SP. Any thoughts?
The pelican light shield advance is great. Just make sure you get the newer model. It has an auto sensor to turn it on and off (though you can turn this feature off) and a white LED bulb. The original light shield had a yellow bulb and kind of "muddied" the colors. Chances are 99% of places won't have the original anymore, but you never know with the big retailers.