Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on Burnout 2?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-18-03, 09:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that it's the best non-serious racer (Gran Turismo wins that one, apparently), and if you want arcade fun and a game that really captures the feeling of speed, Burnout 2 is the game to get. Yea or nay?

I would've pounced on the PS2 version already, but it looks like the X-Box version is going to have some significant improvements over the PS2 one.
Old 04-18-03, 11:14 AM
Cool New Member

Absolutely LOVE it. Fun, addictive gameplay. I highly recommend it.

Runs a solid high framerate (60 FPS) with smooth,crisp textures. One of the better looking games on PS2.

I'm playing Midnight CLub 2 and like it a lot but I keep telling myself "Its no Burnout 2".
Old 04-18-03, 01:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thanks a bunch... I was debating between picking up MC2 or B2. Anyone else?
Old 04-18-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would go with MC2 if you want online arcade racing (which is really fun), and Burnout2 if you want the crash mode. Sense of speed is good in both, but the NOS effect in MC2 is hard to beat. Also consider that MC2 is all "checkpoint races" around a city so you can take whatever route you want and Burnout2 actually has a track around the city (ie. streets are blocked so you have to turn in one direction). Pick the style you like more.
Old 04-18-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took advantage of this week's ToysRUs buy 2 PS2 games, get 1 PS2 game free deal. I picked up Burnout2, Midnight Club2, and Amplitude.

The Xbox version of Burnout2 will probably be a little better than the PS2 version, but without a Logitech wheel, the Xbox version will still play worse than the PS2. Like I've said so many times, if a good wheel comes out for the Xbox, then all my driving game purchases will be on Xbox. Until then, it's PS2.
Old 04-18-03, 04:22 PM
Cool New Member

Sense of speed is good in both, but the NOS effect in MC2 is hard to beat.
I think when you get the boost in B2, its better than the MC2 NOS.

The only poor thing about B2 is that all the cars are similar. Some have faster acceleration and top speed but they all pretty much handle the same.

You get a greater variety in MC2 to use that suits the type of race you'll be in (drag, highway, inner city). I like that.
Old 04-18-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the planetgamecube review of it was really good
i might have to look into this game
Old 04-19-03, 02:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by The Franchise
I would go with MC2 if you want online arcade racing (which is really fun), and Burnout2 if you want the crash mode.
I'm pretty sure Burnout 2 for XBox will have XBox Live support, as well as DD5.1 sound support.
Old 04-19-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
I'm pretty sure Burnout 2 for XBox will have XBox Live support, as well as DD5.1 sound support.
DD 5.1 yes, XBL no (well, kinda yes, it's only going to be used for posting times to a leader board).

Jeremy
Old 04-20-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I spent the entire afternoon and evening today playing Burnout 2.

This game is AWESOME. Playing this game on a widescreen TV in 480p, in Dolby ProLogic2, with a Logitech wheel in first-person view... WHAT A SENSE OF SPEED!

I love how this game supports 16:9 screen mode. You can see a lot more of the road, which is important when driving at such high speeds. The graphics in this game are beautiful - the car models are generic, but the environments are done really, really well.

I really liked the electronic rock music in the game - it suited the game well. It also changed as you used speed boost. ProLogic2 is implemented very well - you can clearly hear channel separation, especially when you crash.

When you hit the boost, the Logitech wheel shakes violently for a few seconds as you enter higher speeds. The sense of speed is enhanced with tactile, aural, and visual effects. wow. I rented the original Burnout, and thought it was mediocre. Burnout2 is head and shoulders above the original.

Better than Midnight Club2 by far. Slightly better than Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. Gran Turismo 3 is still the king of all racers, but Burnout2 is THE BEST for arcade racing, hands down.

Racing games I own for PS2 & Xbox:
Gran Turismo 3, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit2, Burnout2, Midnight Club2, Wipeout Fusion, Extreme G3, Project Gotham Racing, Rallisport Challenge, Sega GT2002.
Old 04-20-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just rented it for my Cube, now its on my "to buy" list. This game is pretty much how I like my racing games.
Old 04-21-03, 01:31 AM
Banned

Hmm, so many rookies here:

any hardcore racing fan will tell you RRV absolutely RAPES ever other arcade racing game on this, or any other planet.
Old 04-21-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by isamu
Hmm, so many rookies here:

any hardcore racing fan will tell you RRV absolutely RAPES ever other arcade racing game on this, or any other planet.

well Im not a HARDCORE racing fan, I just know I dont like Gran Turismo because of its 'ultra realistic feel" but sorry for asking what is RRV? Ridege Racer?
Old 04-21-03, 06:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

I will freely admit to not being a HARDCORE d00d, either. I just like the sensation of driving fast once in a while. Also, I think many "hardcore" racing fans would agree with you because of Gran Turismo 3.

Has anyone played Burnout 2 online? How is the online play?
Old 04-21-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved this game too when I rented it, but I won't be picking it up until it is $10 at Target or BBV. Why, you ask? Pretty much beat the game during the rental time frame. Not very long or hard IMO. But very fun. Much better than the first. And definitely worth $10. Just not $50.
Old 04-21-03, 01:39 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Static Cling, B2 does not have online play, it only allows you to display your high score over Xbox Live, MC2 is online for Live, If you cannot afford, or just don't want to buy both look at it like this, they both offer intense speed, with there speed boosts, I just got done playing McII at my brother's house, and I honestly like B2 better, but Michael Corvin, said it is short, but with multiplayer it could be alot better, MCII on the other hand has five or six different online modes for Live, so if you do decide to get MCII, Let me know because I will Own you on live.
Old 04-21-03, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Thanks a bunch... I was debating between picking up MC2 or B2. Anyone else?
Same here.
I mostly play by myself (and never online).... I've been leaning towards Burnout 2 myself (didn't much like Gran Turismo 3 myself.. I guess I'm more into arcadey games... although this would be my first racing game for my PS2).
Old 04-21-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think a big difference between the two games is this:

In Burnout 2, you will be playing in first-person perspective. In Midnight Club 2, you will be playing in third person perspective.

Personally I like playing racing games in first person - it makes me feel like I'm really racing (like Gran Turismo 3, Rallisport). But some games don't implement first-person perspective very well, and I feel forced to use third-person view. But third person games are fun too - Project Gotham and Wipeout are third person games, and they are a ton of fun too.
Old 04-21-03, 04:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

Picked up Burnout 2 today at Gamespot as part of their B2G1F deal on used games. It's fun, but it concerns me that I haven't placed anything other than 1st at every race I've run (and I don't consider myself to be good at racing games).

Joshic, you can switch between 1st and 3rd person modes in Burnout.
Old 04-21-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's fun, but it concerns me that I haven't placed anything other than 1st at every race I've run (and I don't consider myself to be good at racing games).
Early on, it's really, really easy to place first in all races. But it gets harder later.

Joshic, you can switch between 1st and 3rd person modes in Burnout.
Yes, I know this. Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my previous post. What I meant to say is: pretty much all racing games give you the option to play in 1st or 3rd person, and I prefer to play in 1st person if possible. But some games don't implement the 1st person view well, so I find I can't play in that view. Reasons I think some 1st person views are bad:
1.) too close to the ground. some 1st person views place you an inch from the ground, and it doesn't feel right, or realistic.
2.) too jerky. wipeout and midnight club2 are examples of this. you turn the vehicle to the left or right a little, and the whole screen tilts 30 degrees. very dizzying, and hard to drive when the screen keeps tilting.
Old 04-21-03, 08:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Good call about the difficulty. The levels I played after I made that post, I had to repeat once or twice (the cop race for the
Spoiler:
Classic
). And I gotcha now about the 1st vs. 3rd person thing.
Old 04-22-03, 09:51 AM

just to clarify, Joshic...

Would yousay Burnout 2 is a "good" 1st person perspective (thereby not encompassing too many of the "bad" qualities you listed)? Thanks.

Knowing that Midnight Club II is only 3rd person perspective kinda eliminated that for a potential buy from me. It's between B2 and Need Fpr Speed: Point of Impact 2 now...
Old 04-22-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Marquee Marq
Knowing that Midnight Club II is only 3rd person perspective kinda eliminated that for a potential buy from me. It's between B2 and Need Fpr Speed: Point of Impact 2 now...
Actually Midnight Club 2 has 4 different view points for racing including 1st person that is actually very good and not inches from the ground. You hit triangle to change views.
Old 04-22-03, 04:51 PM

I see I see.

After reading reviews of racing games, I getting pretty set for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 as my final decision.... with Burnout 2 being a future rental (this one's impossible to find to buy in my area it seems actually)...