Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Loved MOH:Frontline, need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Loved MOH:Frontline, need recommendations

I am about to finish Medal Of HOnor: Frontline for PS2 and it is the best game I have ever played. I want to try some similar games. I love basically everything about MOH. I do not like hand-to-hand combat in games, but would deal with a little of it in a game if it was mostly shooting. I kinda liked MSG:Sons Of Liberty but it was ruined by the silly story line and the 10 minutes at a time cut scenes. I would prefer a game with little or no cut scenes. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
Old 04-17-03, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a decent (doesn't have to be top-of-the-line) computer, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and its expansion pack Spearhead is some GREAT gaming. MoHAA is one of my top picks for shooters.
Old 04-17-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MoHAA was a system hog a year ago, YMMV. It is good but has a lot of similarities between Frontline.

Also try Day of Defeat for the PC. Not as resource-intensive, because it's a mod for Half Life. Multiplayer only, though.

Jeremy
Old 04-17-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Our PC is laptop, I really have no interest in playing games on such a small screen. Thanks for those suggestions, though.
Old 04-18-03, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by cdollaz
Our PC is laptop, I really have no interest in playing games on such a small screen. Thanks for those suggestions, though.
That's a shame, because the best Medal of Honors come out on PC. Not to mention, your dislike for cut-scenes and likes for shooter make you perfect for PC gaming.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault wasn't necessarilly very system intensive. When I got it on launch, I had an Athlon tbird 700 and GF2 GTS and ran it 800x600 32bit color and medium detail settings just fine..

Since you have a PS2, you'll have a hard time finding shooters. Do you have an xbox? Brute Force is coming out early May.. It should be an impressive 3rd person shooter.
Old 04-18-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd recommend Ghost Recon only if you had an XBox, since the PS2 version is pretty bad in comparison. What about SOCOM? That's a Counter Strike-type game that should be what you are looking for.

Or, you know you could always get the original two Medal of Honor games for the PS1, since the PS2 is backwards-compatable. Those were supposed to be good back in the day.

And you have Return to Castle Wolfenstein coming out in a couple weeks, but that's more arcade-action/cut-scene laden.

Jeremy
Old 04-18-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also recommend the 2 Medal of Honors that came out for the PS. I actually enjoyed these 2 more than Frontline. Maybe I got tired of the series when it got to the 3rd game.

PS: Medal of Honor and Medal of Honor: Underground.
Old 04-20-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should be able to pick up Half Life for PS2 under $20 now.

It was game of the year on PC a while back, and is still one of the best shooters of all time, if not the best, period.

The PS2 version is not as good as the PC version, but then again, the same situation exists with Medal of Honor, and as you have experienced, the PS2 versions can still be great games.