Reload this Page >

has anyone played Ikaruga yet?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-16-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been intriged by this game since i started reading more about it. it looks very intense for a 2-d game, and the reviews have been very good so far. anyone played it? If so, what did you think?
Old 04-16-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You like shooters or real video games? You'll love this game. That's all I need to say.
Old 04-16-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have only played the arcade version of Ikaruga while in Japan. It has excellent graphics and the music was OK, but hard to make out in a noisy arcade. Basically, you have to switch between being the black or the white "bird", and absorb the correct type of shots to unleash the super attack. But the core gameplay is still a classic vertical 2-D shooter. I found that the difficulty really ramped up starting in round 4, and was impossible to win unless you have learned the complete enemy attack patterns and knows exactly when to make the color changes...

I probably will pick up Ikaruga if I can find it at a reasonable price.

PAL
Old 04-16-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i've seen it at Ebgames.com for 39.99, which i think is a fair price. i think i am going to pick it up if i can find it for that today on my lunch break.
Old 04-16-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would cry the tears of unfathomable joy if they decided to port Radiant Silvergun to Gamecube.
Old 04-16-03, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by pixyboi
I would cry the tears of unfathomable joy if they decided to port Radiant Silvergun to Gamecube.
There are some ebay sellers that would cry in tears of a different kind if that happened, that game goes for over almost $200 .

There was a review up for Ikaruga at IGN but when I checked it was locked. I'll check when I get home in the evening to see if it is unlocked. I am getting this game regardless because from what I have seen it is sweet. Gamespot gave it an 8.8, which is pretty good from them.

I believe the retail price for this game is $39.99 everywhere (something I'd like to see more often), so use the $5 off coupons from the gamers gift card at BB and get it for $34.99 .
Old 04-16-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I read somewhere that this game has an option for you to turn your TV on the side, and play with the true arcade feel...
Old 04-16-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sniper308
I think I read somewhere that this game has an option for you to turn your TV on the side, and play with the true arcade feel...
I like that option minus the fact that no TV in the world can be put on it's side safely..
Old 04-16-03, 01:26 PM

This game probably won't go down in price so if you want the game and want to show support for it you should pick it up soon.
Old 04-16-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SteveOVig
This game probably won't go down in price so if you want the game and want to show support for it you should pick it up soon.
That's what I was doing when I got my Dreamcast for $50

Other people can support games by paying $50. I'll take mine as cheap as I can get them...

Using that idea, maybe we should pay extra taxes to show our support for the government...
Old 04-16-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, i picked it up today at EB, and when i did the guy who sold it to me said " are you ready for the challenge? "...

so i guess its a fairly hard game to beat. its about time... i'm looking forward to giving it a go when i get home tonight.
Old 04-16-03, 02:52 PM

Got it as an import for the Dreamcast. Absolutely awesome game! Very cool play mechanics having to switch back and forth between black and white in order to absorb power. Lots of fun in both single player and two player modes. If I didn't already have it, I'd pick it up in a second!
Old 04-17-03, 12:28 AM

My local Eb only received 1 copy because no one pre-ordered it. I bought it and I hope they get more. It's a real fun game and in prog-scan it looks good. I might need to try on slow at first, it gets insane.
Old 04-17-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Darned.........The Game is HARD .... too many lives still didn't pass the 3rd levels

I think i am going using my GAMESHARK
Old 04-17-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heres a hint...

You have a black side, and a white side to your ship. In order to deal more damage to large ships or guns do the opposite.

Black - White
White - Black

If you play the game long enough you will unlock "Free Play" whicj will give you unlimited continues.
Old 04-17-03, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been playing it on Dreamcast since last September...it's one of the best Dreamcast games and shooters ever. I love being able to play it on my monitor with my VGA box...wouldn't trade that to get the GC version.

It's definitely a worthy sequel to Radiant Silvergun.

Now all we need is a localized version of Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou for PS2!
Old 04-17-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is a great game, but not as good or fun as Radiant Silvergun. It is still pretty good (but alittle too short) shooter with a cool twist.
Old 04-17-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
I think i am going using my GAMESHARK

I totally don't see the point of this. This is not a game you play just to see the ending.
Old 04-17-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a version of it for DC.

Fantastic game. It's fun to play through just to beat, however the real meat of the game is learning how to use the black/white system to get huge chains. There is an amazing video of a virtually perfect play-through of the game floating around online.

Excellent example of a dying genre.
Old 04-17-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i got about an hour of time to play this title last night and i am very impressed. it very difficult but the controls are easy to learn and very addicting. its refreshing to play a game like this.
Old 04-17-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I have a version of it for DC.

Fantastic game. It's fun to play through just to beat, however the real meat of the game is learning how to use the black/white system to get huge chains. There is an amazing video of a virtually perfect play-through of the game floating around online.

Excellent example of a dying genre.
You would be referring to this...

The Ikaruga Appreciate DVD. In this DVD youll find the player goes through the entire game without losing a life, or missing a chain. Only problem with this DVD its import only and I dont have a regionless player. But for those of you who do check out
www.ncsx.com
Old 04-17-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the DVD and play it on my DVD-ROM. Insane it is.
Old 04-17-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw man I REALLY want to see that.
Old 04-17-03, 04:46 PM

Man, this game is F***ing incredible!!

Been awhile since I've played a game like this. I got my ass handed back to me very early on but it was pretty fun. Insane!
Old 04-17-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked it up today, will play tonite hopefully...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.