DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   anybody getting X2:Wolverine's Revenge? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/286461-anybody-getting-x2-wolverines-revenge.html)

bigsoos 04-16-03 09:11 AM

anybody getting X2:Wolverine's Revenge?

I was thinking about getting this game b/c it looks pretty cool. Just wondering if anyone has picked it up today. Any reviews so far?

mrglass 04-16-03 09:20 AM

I've only seen the one at Gamespy:

http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/april03/wolverinexbox/

Gideon68 04-16-03 02:04 PM

64 out of 100? That's below average. I'll wait for a few more reviews before I decide.

jrutz 04-16-03 02:19 PM

The Best Buy deal is really good: $39.99 + $10 GC instantly + X2 movie ticket ($10 value). Throw in the $5 gamer's coupon and it ends up being $14.99 + tax.

However, GameSpy is the fairest of all the review sites and if they say it's trash, I don't expect to see much better from other sites.

A 64/100 from GameSpy is a 5.5 from GameSpot and a 7.6 from IGN. Just you wait... ;)

Jeremy

trigun 04-16-03 10:39 PM

IGN scores:

PC: 6.5
GC: 6.6
PS2: 7.3
XBox: 6.6

Sounds like a rental at best.

BigPete 04-16-03 11:01 PM

So this is a 3-D version of a sidescrolling brawler (Final Fight-ish)? Or is it more of a 3rd person platformer w/ fighting (Spiderman)?

zero 04-17-03 12:50 AM

Originally posted by BigPete
So this is a 3-D version of a sidescrolling brawler (Final Fight-ish)? Or is it more of a 3rd person platformer w/ fighting (Spiderman)?

Correct, but it also has some elements of stealth. Im really suprised by these low scores, but again I only played a small demo at E3. I'll have to rent this.

Tarantino 04-17-03 09:23 PM

Nope, won't be on my shelf anytime soon.

darqleo 04-18-03 01:06 AM

Geez, that sucks, I was looking forward to this one.

*sigh* Why can't anyone make a good movie/comic game? (yeah, I know there are exceptions to the rule, I'm meaning MOSTLY)

Is it because they just depend on the strength of the license to carry it?

Superboy 04-18-03 05:24 AM

Originally posted by darqleo

*sigh* Why can't anyone make a good movie/comic game? (yeah, I know there are exceptions to the rule, I'm meaning MOSTLY)

Hm, that's an age-old question. The sad thing is that most of the movie-related games i played for the NES were actually pretty good.

My belief is that because they're running off of a license, they have fully developed ideas already within their grasp. They don't need to invent characters, settings, history, etc, because it's already all been made for them. There's less creativity involved in the process of making the game becasue it's already all been done for them.

fujishig 04-18-03 08:56 AM

Licensed games:

Often, a lot of resources are used up in just procuring the license, so there's less money spent on actually making the game good. Other times, they need to crank it out to get it within the timeframe of the movie/cartoon/comic release.

Sometimes, you'll get a game company that knows that a licensed game will sell no matter how crappy it is, so there's no incentive for them to make it good.

Also, like someone said above, the designers have less creative freedom with someone else's characters. They can't make drastic changes, they're limited in the story they can tell, and the best game designers would probably rather work on something else.

Still, I am looking forward to that second Xmen game, which is more like Final Fight with a team of Xmen at a time...

jrutz 04-18-03 09:16 AM

Originally posted by darqleo

I had hope for Spiderman: The Movie. The original games for the PSX were pretty good, but this one got lost when it used too many indoor environments. That camera was terrible BTW!

Jeremy

jk4w 04-18-03 12:41 PM

I looked through one of the strategy guide's for this game to see some screen shots & i was very dissapointed.It looked really boring so i doubt ill even rent it.
The only thing that caught my eye was the level where Wolvie fight's the Wendigo.

Cuman 04-21-03 12:27 AM

Picked it up for the PC for 20 bux at BB this past weekend and yeah....i'm glad i didnt' pay anymore...hell i'm trying to convince myself it was worth the 20 bux. Fairly straightfoward beat em up, punch, punch, kick, kick, daze enemy and unleash a cool combo attack thing with a press of single button. Wouldn't be all bad cuz everyone can use a mindless beat em up once in a while, but unfortunately there are way too many sudden and cheap deaths. Couldn't save the scientist guy, game over, coudn't sneak by all the guards game over....didn't see that hole...well you get the idea....oh and the most fun part is you're magically transported back to the beginning of the level to redo everything again.....

bigsoos 04-21-03 09:00 AM

I'm really glad I waited for reviews before thinking about going out and buying it.

TheMadMonk 04-21-03 10:20 PM

Gamespot Scores:
5.8 (Xbox, PS2, & GC)
5.7 (Pc)

outer-edge 04-21-03 10:42 PM

I tried it out on the PS2 and was really unimpressed. I wasn't expecting much either, and the game couldn't hold my attention long enough for me to finish the first level. It just didn't feel like a Wolverine game should I guess.

Lammy 04-22-03 08:58 PM

I had a glimmer of interest in this that quickly faded, but I have really high hopes for X-Men Legends. Here's what IGN had about it:

April 21, 2003 - Activision today officially announced a breakaway endeavor from its traditional brand of X-Men games with X-Men: Legends, a realtime RPG for PlayStation 2, GameCube and Xbox.
Due sometime in 2004 and not yet rated by the ESRB, X-Men: Legends is the first X-Men RPG. Raven's game puts player in a multitude of mutant boots, enabling them to assemble, train and send action combat up to 15 of the most popular characters from the last 40 years (including Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Gambit and Beast among others) against X-Men's most formidable foes (such as the Sentinels, Morlocks, and the Brotherhood of Mutants). Players follow a story written by comic industry veterans Man of Action.

In this uniquely styled RPG, players select up to four different X-Men for a level, toggling between each one to balance and complement their unusual mutant powers in a co-operative team effort. Players can switch between characters on the fly and use individual mutant attacks as well as team combos to perforate enemy scum (in an unreigned frenzy of Wolverine-shredding madness, bub).

For instance, for stealth-heavy missions, selecting Wolverine and Nighcrawler is apropos. Cyclops's optic blast and Colossus's muscle power are better utilized for all-out combat missions. Once one has grown powerfully skilled they can pull-off multi-character combinations (such as the famous Wolverine/Colossus Fastball Special). And characters gain experience which can be used to upgrade the X-Men's abilities -- or even learn new fighting styles.

"X-Men: Legends is the first game to capture the complete essence of the X-Men by allowing players to control multiple characters that fight together as a team," exclaims Larry Goldberg, executive vice president, Activision Worldwide Studios. "The game will blend the best parts of the movies, comic books in a fantastic new adventure that allows the you to develop your specialized powers as you succeed through your missions."

Raven also plans to provide players with a four-player co-operative mode, which enables multiple players to partner for team play. A few of the planned options include joining an on-going game at any time, or suiting up for head-to-head combat in the Danger Room.

We'll have more on X-Men: Legends very soon.

-- IGN

Sounds pretty good to me, I wish it was out in time for X2.

jrutz 04-22-03 09:01 PM

Originally posted by jrutz
A 64/100 from GameSpy is a 5.5 from GameSpot and a 7.6 from IGN. Just you wait... ;)

Jeremy

Hey, I wasn't too far off... ;)

Jeremy

kvrdave 04-22-03 11:46 PM

Sadly, these always suck :(