DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   New PS2 announced (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/286145-new-ps2-announced.html)

Mattalos 04-15-03 01:41 AM

New PS2 announced

Sony will release a new model of PlayStation 2 named SCPH-50000, which will be compatible with DVD movies in DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM format. In addition, the new model also include a built-in infrared sensor, which is used for the new DVD remote. The machine also features progressive scan support, 30% less operating noise from cooling fan, and 400g lighter weight. The new PlayStation 2 will launch in Japan on May 15, for 25,000 yen. (In a side note, Sony will stop producing the old SCPH-39000 model.) - from MagicBox
Oh, and...

- Sony will also release a new PS2 DVD remote control SCPH-10420 on the May 15, for 2200 yen. The SCPH-10420 includes new functions such as switch on/off main power, and open/close disc tray.

Gizmo 04-15-03 01:55 AM

Now only if they can stop the amount of PS2s that break...

khieng 04-15-03 02:20 AM

I would much prefer Microsoft to redesign their system and come out with a smaller and lighter model.

kaiyouske 04-15-03 02:48 AM

Originally posted by khieng
I would much prefer Microsoft to redesign their system and come out with a smaller and lighter model.
Yes, and name it the 'X-boy'. *cough*

JNielsen 04-15-03 02:58 AM

The SCPH-10420 includes new functions such as switch on/off main power, and open/close disc tray.
:up: I've been waiting for that.

Superboy 04-15-03 03:08 AM

<i>The SCPH-10420 includes new functions such as switch on/off main power, and open/close disc tray.</i>

I don't understand why these features are necessary when you have to get up to change the discs and the DVD player automatically goes into standby mode when you press stop.

Gideon68 04-15-03 03:24 AM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Now only if they can stop the amount of PS2s that break...
But that's how they sold 50 million units.

Joshic 04-15-03 08:45 AM

I don't understand why these features are necessary when you have to get up to change the discs and the DVD player automatically goes into standby mode when you press stop.
Well, here are two arguments for the new remote features:
1.) DVD players with a single tray also have remote power and open/close disc tray features. So why not the PS2?
2.) If you're using a wireless PS2 controller and a home theater system where everything is controlled with a remote, the only system that you have to get up to turn on/off is the PS2. Sometimes you play one game exclusively for a week or more at a time, and there's no need to get up to open/close the tray. So in that case you want a remote power on/off. I wish my PS2 & Xbox had remote power on/off - there are the only systems in my HT setup that don't have remote power. And it's annoying.

young 04-15-03 08:58 AM

sounds good to me... i especially like the 30% quieter part.

of course, i'm not going to buy it unless my old one breaks or something.
-
about the remote, i hope it is backlit w/ a better button layout. i, too, would appreciate the power button.

-
they could have thrown in a built in hard drive. i've become spoiled by the xbox's built in drive... no more switching memory cards.

spankyj 04-15-03 09:12 AM

Any ideas as to a US release date?

Goldberg74 04-15-03 09:20 AM

What will it look like?

young 04-15-03 11:18 AM

here's cnet's article on it. they say that the firewire port will be gone (if that matters). 75% quieter cooling system.

http://news.com.com/2100-1043-996748.html?tag=cd_mh

menaz 04-15-03 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Joshic
Well, here are two arguments for the new remote features:
1.) DVD players with a single tray also have remote power and open/close disc tray features. So why not the PS2?
2.) If you're using a wireless PS2 controller and a home theater system where everything is controlled with a remote, the only system that you have to get up to turn on/off is the PS2. Sometimes you play one game exclusively for a week or more at a time, and there's no need to get up to open/close the tray. So in that case you want a remote power on/off. I wish my PS2 & Xbox had remote power on/off - there are the only systems in my HT setup that don't have remote power. And it's annoying.

Couldnt have said it better myself. I have been complaining about the lack of ON/OFF on a remote since the release date. At least on the xbox someone found a way to hack it, PS2 had no way of adding that feature.

Josh H 04-15-03 11:31 AM

I agree, and this is rumored to be in the works. The current model is too wide to fit under the TV with my other consoles, and the weight makes me hesitant to stack it on top of my DVD player (only free space I have in my hometheater other than under the TV). The beveled top makes things not sit well on top of it. It's just a poor design all around IMO.

A smaller, lighter X-box will be tempting when Halo 2 comes out.

tanman 04-15-03 11:43 AM

any pics yet? if its coming out in a few weeks then there should be pics available.

This is good news. Maybe I can pick up an old PS2 for cheap.

Mattalos 04-15-03 11:53 AM

I dont necessarily think it will look any different...

Josh H 04-15-03 11:58 AM

Yeah, the article says nothing about a design change. I imagine it will be the exact same size and shape, if for no other reason than not having to put out new stands and multi-taps.

MrPink 04-15-03 12:28 PM

I knew this would happen when I bought my PS2.

tanman 04-15-03 01:37 PM

there has always traditionally been design changes when a 2.0 system is released to entice people to buy it again. I would be surprised if Sony did not follow...

joshd2012 04-15-03 03:02 PM

New Remote

JNielsen 04-15-03 03:29 PM

Originally posted by joshd2012
New Remote
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/ps..._041403_01.jpg

glassdragon 04-15-03 04:07 PM

my xbox just got louder since in installed the ceiling fan in it to cool it down better rotfl

slop101 04-15-03 05:26 PM

It's going to be officially announced at E3.

Josh H 04-15-03 06:04 PM

Originally posted by tanman
there has always traditionally been design changes when a 2.0 system is released to entice people to buy it again. I would be surprised if Sony did not follow...
Not true for sony. They designed the PSX once or twice prior to the ultra small PSONE and it looked identical, simply having different insides and I believe different ports. For instance the PSX that came with dual shock was a different model than the original, but looked identical.

Gideon68 04-15-03 06:50 PM

There was actually 4 differeent Playstation models before the PSOne was released.