DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   PS2: Loved Vice City. What's next? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/286034-ps2-loved-vice-city-whats-next.html)

G. Noel Gross 04-14-03 05:35 PM

PS2: Loved Vice City. What's next?

I've lived in Vice City for months now. What title should I be looking forward to next? I have simple tastes ... if you don't shoot anybody ... I'm out. (Well, in truth, I love SSX Tricky and Tiger Woods 2003).

NC-36 04-14-03 08:49 PM

Did you play Grand Theft Auto III ? I know people who skipped it and only played Vice City. They will not believe me when I tell them I think GTA3 is just as good as GTA:VC.

G. Noel Gross 04-14-03 09:46 PM

Originally posted by NC-36
Did you play Grand Theft Auto III ?
Yep. Know it even better than Vice City. Heh. Guess I could play some more Red Faction II, but it gets tired after awhile.

Team Rancid 04-15-03 10:15 AM

I loved GTA VC and shooters too. On some different levels, these games RULE:

Virtua Fighter 4
Burnout 2
Hot Shots Golf 3
Need for Speed: HP2
SOCOM:Navy Seals
Slugfest 2004

Lenny 04-15-03 10:17 AM

SOCOM is great, especially online.

Have you tried TimeSplitters ?

I like shooters and TimeSplitters (1 and 2) were fun.

The Franchise 04-15-03 11:07 AM

If you liked the racing aspect of GTA:VC I highly recommend Midnight Club 2. It's a lot of fun online.

I heard the Getaway was pretty fun too but I haven't played it much.

remjim 04-15-03 11:16 AM

Although its not a shooter, EA's LOTR:TT is pretty good. I played some of Hitman 2 and that seemed to be a tough but good game.

G. Noel Gross 04-15-03 11:23 AM

Originally posted by remjim
Although its not a shooter, EA's LOTR:TT is pretty good. I played some of Hitman 2 and that seemed to be a tough but good game.
I'm out on Hobbits. Hitman 2 has all appearances of being cool, but the gameplay is downright maddening. 'Preciate the suggestions.

G. Noel Gross 04-15-03 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Team Rancid
Virtua Fighter 4
Burnout 2
Hot Shots Golf 3
Need for Speed: HP2
SOCOM:Navy Seals
Slugfest 2004

I found Hot Shots very klunky compared to Tiger Woods 02/03. I agree with the SOCOM recommendations. It's pretty cool! A little too realisitic ... missions taking place at night ... working in teams, etc. But I like the mission-based aspect. Tend to prefer those sort of shooters ... like GoldenEye on N64. Hey, maybe I should dig THAT back up for a round or two.

Mopower 04-15-03 03:45 PM

Medal of Honor: Frontline.

It is awsome.

G. Noel Gross 04-15-03 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Mopower
Medal of Honor: Frontline.
No doubt! Burned through that in no time at all!

glassdragon 04-15-03 03:54 PM

if you have a friend with an xbox... True Crime Streets of L.A looks sweet as hell

Static Cling 04-15-03 06:09 PM

If you're into "platform" games, try Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank. I hadn't played a platform game in years, but playing R&C at a Best Buy kiosk convinced me to return, and J&D is a lot like R&C in terms of quality and great gameplay.

Amator 04-15-03 06:46 PM

Dynasty Warriors4. Fight epic battles in medieval China. It's like being William Wallce in a chinese version of Braveheart. You have bodyguards and both you and your weapons level. You can choose from around 30 different characters with lots of different weapons. It's kind of LOTR but in HUGE battles.

Decker 04-16-03 09:53 AM

R&C is awesome. So much fun and you do get to shoot things like crazy (even if there isn't any blood).
I quite enjoyed War of the Monsters, and G. Noel, if you don't like a game that opens like a 50's B-movie and allows you as a giant ape to hurl gasoline trucks at your monster opponent and squash fleeing pedestrians underfoot; well then I guess I don't know you as well as I thought.
BTW : Streets of LA will be multi-platform; though graphics and gameplay might be best on an xbox.

chess 04-16-03 10:51 AM

Ace Combat 4

fighter jet sim leaning toward arcade with loads of missles. truly a blast.

Red Dog 04-16-03 10:54 AM

How is The Getaway? Looks like it is a similar kind of game. I still have a lot of work to do on GTAVC though.

G. Noel Gross 04-16-03 11:36 AM

Originally posted by chess
Ace Combat 4
Does it do take offs and landings?

I think I may rent War of the Monsters. That looks amusing.

I'm also interested in Getaway's gameplay. Anyone want to chime in? Worst thing about GTA is that it so spoils you!

Static Cling 04-16-03 02:55 PM

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross
Does it do take offs and landings?
You can do take-offs and landings (on ground and on carriers) if you want; however, if you crash, you're allowed to retry the take-off/landing with no penalty or just go ahead and skip it. Sure, it's not realistic, but it's a nice concession to gameplay that I appreciated.

chess 04-16-03 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
You can do take-offs and landings (on ground and on carriers) if you want; however, if you crash, you're allowed to retry the take-off/landing with no penalty or just go ahead and skip it. Sure, it's not realistic, but it's a nice concession to gameplay that I appreciated.
i'll just ditto that. most of the time i just skip them, but if you're inclined, they are there. best way to desribe it is that it LOOKS like a flight sim, but plays like an arcade game. hell, i usually play in third person just to watch the air swirls and elevator movements.

such a cool game. once you finish it, you can just pick a mission and jump in...i think the night mission is my favorite. :)

edited to add: it's a $20 greatest hits title.

illennium 04-16-03 04:04 PM

The Getaway is a mess of questionable design decisions that kill the gameplay.

However, if you've spent much time in London, it's fun just to drive around and relive memories. For example, I was able to find my ex-girlfriend's flat and shoot everyone outside.

Static Cling 04-16-03 04:55 PM

Originally posted by illennium
However, if you've spent much time in London, it's fun just to drive around and relive memories. For example, I was able to find my ex-girlfriend's flat and shoot everyone outside.
:lol: They oughta put that in the advertisements.

Decker 04-16-03 05:26 PM

Originally posted by illennium
:lol: Best. Post. Ever.

G. Noel Gross 04-16-03 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Decker
:lol: Best. Post. Ever.
Yeah! I may actually have to rent that now!