DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Soul Calibur 2 System Review (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/285433-soul-calibur-2-system-review.html)

keyed 04-11-03 03:17 PM

Soul Calibur 2 System Review

Well, it's not that detailed, but it does give a review on SC2 for all three systems.

Courtesy of Penny Arcade

PLAYSTATION 2

The Playstation 2 version of the game does not look as good as the others obviously. It does look amazing though when compared to other PS2 games. Anyone who played Virtua Fighter 4 knows that the PS2 can make a damn fine looking game. Well SC2 looks even better. The character models and backgrounds are all beautifully detailed with hardly any of the jagged edges so common in PS2 games.

The special character for the PS2 is Heihachi and I'd have to say he is once again probably the least interesting of the three. He really just doesn't seem to fit in a weapons based fighting game. I am a huge fan of Tekken and I think he is a fantastic character but this just isn't the right game for him. With that said he really does not detract from the SC 2 experience. You do not need the extra characters to have fun with this game. The roster of fighters that the game comes with is packed full of interesting and unique characters.

The sound is much less dynamic on the PS2 as well which is a minor point and one you would not even notice unless you played the other versions.

The Dual shock is easily the best controller to play SC 2 with.

GAMECUBE

SC2 looks about the same on the GC and the Xbox, which is to say fantastic. If you have a TV that can do the progressive scan thing than you will get an even bigger treat as the game supports those higher resolutions.

Link is probably the coolest of the three characters. Besides the " it's Link, and he's got the master sword!" factor, he is actually a very good fighter. All his weapons from previous games are available like bombs, arrows and even the hookshot. He may look a bit out of place but his moves mesh extremely well with the rest of the game and he at least FEELS like a character who could have been in the series since it's inception.

The sound in the GC version is significantly better than the PS2 but can't beat the sound on the Xbox.

The controller is very awkward for SC2 and it makes things like throws and guard cancels kind of hard to pull off. If you are getting the GC version invest in a fighting stick.

As far as ease of importing the GC is the best choice since it now has a boot disk available for playing imports. No modification required just slip in the boot disk and your good to go. Similar items came out for the Dreamcast and the Saturn. They are a quick simple way to play Imports on your US systems.

XBOX

Just like the GC version the Xbox version looks amazing and supports the higher resolutions found on your higher end television sets.

Spawn is better than I expected but ( this is just my Nintendo fan boy opinion) doesn't have the cool factor that Link does. I was expecting him to be a slow, lumbering Astaroth clone but he's not at all. Spawn is a quick fighter with a decent assortment of long range projectile attacks and vicious kick combos that make him a more than worthy addition to the series.

The Xbox version has the best sound hands down. If you have the ability to play the game in surround sound you are in for a special treat. Sword clangs and screams echo off the walls of closed in environments and the sounds of battle jump from speaker to speaker as the fight moves around the arena.

If your using an S controller you will be fine since MS pretty much just ripped off the Dual Shock design.

The soul still burns

No matter what system you buy it for Soul Calibur 2 will not disappoint. One of the finest video games ever made is back. It really doesn't matter what you play it on. Just play it.
It looks like it's the Game Cube version if you're a Link fan, X-BOX if you've got the equipment to appreciate the sound or you like Spawn, and PS2.. if that's the only system you have.

William Wallace 04-12-03 04:36 PM

All 3 versions look identical, unless you have an HDTV that can display 720p for the X-Box version. I've played them all side by side, so I can guarantee this.

In fact, just look at some comparison pictures of all three versions here:

http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2-480i.html

Can you really tell the difference?

edstein 04-12-03 05:45 PM

Is it me? Or, do those screen grabs look a little blurry? I still think the xbox version will look the best, then cube ,then ps2. No console bashing here just the facts of the capabilities of the hardware.

kaiyouske 04-12-03 06:23 PM

I think overall the textures look a little bit cleaner in the GC and the Xbox versions. Also, the jaggies are slightly less on the GC and Xbox too. But unless you look very closely, it's not really that noticeable.

William Wallace 04-12-03 08:22 PM

Is it me? Or, do those screen grabs look a little blurry? I still think the xbox version will look the best, then cube ,then ps2. No console bashing here just the facts of the capabilities of the hardware.
Well, ppl who have played all three versions(including myself) say that if you can't even tell the difference. I own the GC version, and have played it side by side with the X-Box and PS2 versions. If there are differences between the versions, you really have to work to notice them. 480i and 480p looks the same on all consoles. The only difference comes when you play the X-Box version in 720p, where the difference is obvious.

William Wallace 04-12-03 08:23 PM

I think overall the textures look a little bit cleaner in the GC and the Xbox versions. Also, the jaggies are slightly less on the GC and Xbox too. But unless you look very closely, it's not really that noticeable.
I own the GC version, and play it all the time. When I played the ps2 version, it looked exactly the same to me. Actually I was rather dissapointed that the GC version wasn't noticeably better looking...

joltaddict 04-13-03 11:23 PM

Im still going with the Box version.

kaiyouske 04-13-03 11:36 PM

Well, I imported the GC version and I already have my preorder for the xbox version. Hopefully, they will keep the original japanese dialogue because I'm hearing rumors that it will only be dubbed. Which I think would be pretty stupid if that holds true.

zero 04-14-03 12:35 AM

Originally posted by kaiyouske
Well, I imported the GC version and I already have my preorder for the xbox version. Hopefully, they will keep the original japanese dialogue because I'm hearing rumors that it will only be dubbed. Which I think would be pretty stupid if that holds true.
Then I guess its stupid. Chances are Namco will dub the voices as they are in the arcade. Same holds true for Soul Calibur, in the arcade it was japanese voices no subtitles. When it got ported Namco gave us subtitles. It's still too early to tell, but I would bet on english voices. The english voices arent bad, but what would be cool is an option to switch between voices options. But looking at the build of the import this seems rather far fetched.

Mattalos 04-14-03 03:36 AM

If it's dubbed, I'll get the import.

Boo, Namco, boo.

kaiyouske 04-14-03 03:42 AM

Well, like I said it's a 'rumor' so just treat it as that. :) But I am curious to hear how the dub sounds like...that is if they do decide to include both (which is what I'm hoping). But do you guys remember how in the US version of Soul Calibur, you couldn't change the color of Sophitia's panties whereas the Japanese version you could? Wasn't that a treat? :P

Josh H 04-14-03 01:13 PM

I'm still getting the GC version. Don't have an X-box, and Heihachi is a lame extra character.

Don't care whether it's dubbed or not, as I just care about the gameplay, I usually jam on the buttons to skip all the talking crap before and after fights anyway.

Kumar J 04-14-03 11:40 PM

I saw all 3 side by side at Tokyo and surely the X-box rules.GC is second best!

Mattalos 04-14-03 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Don't care whether it's dubbed or not, as I just care about the gameplay, I usually jam on the buttons to skip all the talking crap before and after fights anyway.
That's good to know.

It's funny that in this if you press buttons on the versus screen the characters will talk to each other. Heh. Jam away!

kaiyouske 04-15-03 01:23 AM

It's funny that in this if you press buttons on the versus screen the characters will talk to each other. Heh. Jam away! [/B]
Yes, but it will only work once per versus screen so umm....choose your dialogue wisely....? :P

zero 04-15-03 02:44 AM

Originally posted by kaiyouske
Yes, but it will only work once per versus screen so umm....choose your dialogue wisely....? :P
The conflict is strong with this one. :p

Simpson Purist 04-15-03 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm still getting the GC version. Don't have an X-box, and Heihachi is a lame extra character.

True my friend. Now that I have a GC, I can finally kick some butt with Link instead of Heihachi. Gamecube version all the way for me.

fujishig 04-15-03 12:23 PM

Hmm... Gamecube or PS2? I have to admit, I dread playing a fighting game with the Gamecube's controller (which I like for other games).

zero 04-16-03 01:24 AM

Originally posted by fujishig
Hmm... Gamecube or PS2? I have to admit, I dread playing a fighting game with the Gamecube's controller (which I like for other games).
http://www.sm128c.com/editorials/gcncontrol.jpg

L trigger - Block
R trigger - Block
A button - A
B button - Block
Y button - B
X button - Kick
Z button - soul charge up

It may LOOK complicated but its all about adjustment.

Outlaw 04-16-03 08:33 AM

Originally posted by fujishig
So ya wanna play Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube? But you still want to use your PS2 controller?

Look here my friend.

Josh H 04-16-03 12:06 PM

I'm not a big fan of the PS2 controller either so that didn't factor into my decision. Neither controller is ideal for fighting games.

I've always hated the PS controllers D-pads, and the analog stick is in an awkward place in my opinion (given that it's used most of the time it should be where the D-pad is).

Either way there's an adjustment, so I'll go with the GC (at least the analog stick is in a comfortable place) with it's likely better graphics and Link.

kaiyouske 04-16-03 01:25 PM

Man, I really don't know why people think that the GC controller sucks to play SC. I've actually been using it more than my Hori stick and I'm happy to say that it plays great with the GC pad. Yes, it's doable so quit yer naggin' and don't complain unless you've actually played the game with it. Personally, I detest the PS2 controller. Can't stand Sony's silly embedded dpad. That always drove me nuts.

Josh H 04-16-03 02:18 PM

I generally prefer to play fighting games with a D-pad (I guess b/c my first experience with fighters was on the SNES) and the GC's D-pad is too small and out of place to use as the main control.

But like you said, I also hate sony's lame embedded D-pad.

So I guess I'll have to learn to play it with the analog stick (as I've never liked arcade sticks, never got used to them because I rarely ever played arcade games). As said above, I hate the location of the PS2's analog stick, so the GCN controller wins this debate for me.

DVDHO 04-17-03 02:11 AM

I was worried that the PS2 version would be terrible compared to the rest,even though im mad about Namcos choice with Heiachi im getting it for controller reasons and its the only console I have ATM.

Mattalos 04-17-03 11:25 AM

I don't like the small d-pad for SC 2 on GC >_<; At the office we play using one of the guys dual X-Arcade sticks. Drool to the max.

The PS2 embedded d-pad makes 2D games worth playing... I can't even play Capcom vs. SNK on Xbox. I had the Xbox d-pad. More than life itself. ;)