Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just played Tao Feng (Xbox)

Old 04-10-03, 09:22 AM

Just played Tao Feng (Xbox)

This game is awesome. Going to buy it this weekend. I don't understand why it got the reviews it did. It's actually fun fighting the computer most fighters are to easy this is a little more challenging. You should at least rent this one.
Old 04-10-03, 12:22 PM

I agree with you on the renting part. But man, after playing Soul Calibur 2, one has to wonder who in the 9 blazes of hell allowed them to release Tao Feng at its current state. Ugh.
Old 04-10-03, 12:47 PM

Where do you see the problems at. They could of fixed the wall moves up a little. But all in all it's pretty cool.
Old 04-10-03, 01:11 PM

Problems? Hmm...let's see. First of all the collision detection is very bad. There were lots of times where I'm very close to my opponent and I couldn't hit him/her at all. I would have to back up some so that I can actually hit him/her. Also, the limb damage is pretty gimmicky. If their limb is damaged, how come it doesn't look like they're damaged? I mean, they took the time to make the fighters look hurt over the rounds, but they couldn't make it so that you couldn't use your limb or make your fighter limp when his/her limb is damaged? I just find that a bit odd. The Chi powers are pretty unblanced too (I believe I read this from a review somewhere and I totally agree) and they seemed to be put in as a 2nd thought. They're way to easy to get hit out of, and certain character's chi powers are faster to execute than others. The animations in the game is pretty jerky. There are times when it seems like some frames were skipped. The transitional frames between moves also didn't look smooth.

I know that although SC2 and TF are both fighting games, they're very different, but the quality of the 2 games are just so different. It's almost like comparing apples and oranges. You can totally see which company took their time to make a deep, fun game, while the other company just tried to make a good looking, shallow game. I was looking forward to TF, but boy did it disappoint.
Old 04-10-03, 01:25 PM

If their limb is damaged, how come it doesn't look like they're damaged?

I noticed when the their arms are damaged they hold them as if they were hurt.

One thing I didn't like is how they would change the camara so if you were pushing back to block it would switch and you would be pressing forward.

I never had a problem with collision detection.
Old 04-10-03, 11:57 PM
Banned

I would have liked some easier combos. And maybe some weapons. But overal its not that bad. But I agree soul caliber 2 is better but it has flaws itself.
Old 04-11-03, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully they will make a Tao Feng 2 and it will fix all the problems this one apparently had. My hopes were high on this one.
Old 04-11-03, 05:12 AM

This is the most enjoyable fighter on the box. I too can't understand the reviews
Old 04-11-03, 11:40 AM
Retired

Played this at a friends. I wasn't impressed. Just another run of the mill fighter that went for looks/violence over great gameplay (i.e. a deep, balanced, fighting engine).
Old 04-11-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a copy last week. I'd read the reviews, but thought they were just overly critical. I desperately wanted to like Tao Feng.

Thank god I bought it used from Game Stop and could return it the next day.

The eye candy was great, but the game play was lacking so much. The training mode was the absolute worst I've seen in a long time. Having to pull up the menu and scroll through to look for each and every move got very annoying. The camera switching while you were in mid-block, thus causing you to step right into a punch/kick needs some serious work.

Maybe I just suck, but the different characters did not seem to be well balanced at all.

Chi powers were gimicky and not well executed.

I do hope MS revisits this title and makes a sequel that addresses all of the game play issues. Like I said, I really did want to like this game, but it made it impossible to do so.

Back to DoA 3 for a while I guess.
Old 04-11-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The fighting system is terrible.
Old 04-11-03, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Mongo
I bought a copy last week. I'd read the reviews, but thought they were just overly critical. I desperately wanted to like Tao Feng.

Thank god I bought it used from Game Stop and could return it the next day.

The eye candy was great, but the game play was lacking so much. The training mode was the absolute worst I've seen in a long time. Having to pull up the menu and scroll through to look for each and every move got very annoying. The camera switching while you were in mid-block, thus causing you to step right into a punch/kick needs some serious work.

Maybe I just suck, but the different characters did not seem to be well balanced at all.

Chi powers were gimicky and not well executed.
Yeah, I felt the same way. I really wanted to like the game...but there was just way too many flaws for my taste. As for the training, it was the same for Soul Calibur 2. But at least their's is spliced up in the button catagories. That makes it somewhat easier.
Old 04-11-03, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by V-ism
The fighting system is terrible.
People who play illegal copies can't review games.
Old 04-12-03, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mattalos
People who play illegal copies can't review games.
I guess the same should be said about music, movies, and software too, or are you completely unopinionated about those? And I guess people who fraud Walmart returns are allowed to be the morality police? Next time you have a personal problem, deal with it personally instead of on some public forum.
Old 04-14-03, 12:34 PM

Everybody I know who plays this game loves it. Wish there was fatalities though, that would be nice. All my friends who came over and played went out and bought the game.