Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

SCII on X-Box: how to properly setup the HD?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd been playing the GC version of SCII for quite a while now, and really liked the 16X9 option it included. I assumed this would be the same with the X-Box version, since it is in HD, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to properly display XB SCII on my HDTV (Wega 36"). There doesn't seem to be an option for 16X9 display, so I just have a square of viewing space in the middle of my TV. I tried changing the display mode in the X-Box console options, but I still just have a square of viewing in the middle of the TV. Is there a way to either fill the screen (as Enter the Matrix did), or turn on 16X9 for this version? It's pretty bad playing with only about half the screen filled...
Old 08-27-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Are you playing SCII in 720p? If so, even though there are widescreen modes at 480i/480p, the 720p mode has a 4x3 image pillarboxed in the widescreen frame.
Old 08-27-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ctyner
Are you playing SCII in 720p? If so, even though there are widescreen modes at 480i/480p, the 720p mode has a 4x3 image pillarboxed in the widescreen frame.
Yes, 720p. Guess I'll have to turn the 720p off each time I play . Was really looking forward to SCII in HD, too. Why couldn't they have made it fully 16X9 like with the GC version (though the GC version isn't HD...).
Old 08-27-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
You can play it in 16x9 at 480p, from what I've read (I haven't tried it out myself yet; I only have a 480i set besides), which is a step down, but... I'd imagine there was some sort of performance reason that prevented them from having the full display at 720p.