Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gameboy Advance SP vs. Gameboy Advance with Afterburner??

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-03, 09:13 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here have any experience with a gameboy advance that has an afterburner kit installed?? (internal modification that gives it a backlight.) I guess if I have to explain it then you don't know what it is. Anyway... I was wondering because I have an advance and an SP... and I don't like some things about the SP -- namely the controls aren't placed wider (I have big hands) and it's cramped. Also, I'm not crazy about the way my existing gamecube / advance cable depressed the L and R buttons when I put it in. I guess I would buy a different cable, but I was wondering how the backlight on the SP compared to an afterburner modded advance. Also -- if you know of a cheap place to pick one up ... or some installation pitfalls I should be aware of. Thanks.
Old 04-04-03, 09:21 AM

I got an Afterburner w/digital dimmer installed in my white GBA from Your Happy Place. They did a fantastic job. Of course I had to go buy a GBA SP when it came out and compared the two. All in all, it is close. I do like having the dimmer option with the Afterburner. Overall the light seems slightly more even with my SP. I just happen to like the form factor of the SP more than my old GBA. Maybe some people have radically different opinions, but all I can say is that the SP is slightly brighter and a bit more clear, but before I got it, I didn't see any issues with the Afterburner (had I never seen an SP I would've been content).

Sorry if it isn't more definitive, but if you are comparing screen clarity alone, and you like the form of the GBA, just get the Afterburner installed.
Old 04-04-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup.. I agree that the old GBA has a much better form. I personally never had problems with lighting, but got the SP for the recharable battery, the light was just a really nice bonus.

As for the link cable, if had gotten the official one, you would'nt have that problem.
Old 04-04-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen both, bought an SP (as opposed to modding my regular GBA). The SP's screen is a bit brighter and seems a bit sharper. No trapezoid effect noticeable either, whereas I saw a slight one with the AB (although it didn't really bother me). Some folks elsewhere have complaints about the SP's nonuniform light and dust under the screen. I haven't seen any of this on 4 SP's at all. (Most of the SP complaints/criticisms seem to be coming from AB owners justifying their choice, IMO.)

I like the regular GBA's grip, although the SP's isn't bad either (and I have very large hands). FYI, EB has a slide-on grip for the SP that adds two large flexible 'knobs' to tjhe lower corners that fit into your palms.

Also, I *love* the SP form factor; I fold it up and take it with me in a pocket everywhere, with no danger of screen scratches. And the battery is great. Nothing beats a lithium battery, and I am getting quite a bit more than 10 hrs per charge so far.
Old 04-04-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sold my afterburner GBA and bought a SP. I think the lighting is better and the rechargable battery is excellent.

I had no real problems using either one, but I prefer the form factor of the SP.
Old 04-05-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a gba with afterburner and the "dial" for dimmer. Persoanlly, I never dim it, so it isn't a great advantage. I have played with the SP and elected to stick with my afterburner. When the SP comes down in price I will probably buy one, but it wasn't any better, and I prefer the style of the GBA to the SP.

The only reason I would by the SP is because I have to have them all ( ), but it isn't any better in my view.
Old 04-05-03, 12:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

How far off could the next GBA be really? Didn't the last time they start toying around with the design of the original Gameboy, making it smaller and whatnot, they came out with the Gameboy Color not too long thereafter? The reason I'm wondering is because I could see the benefit of going to a more 3D based architecture as being better for the software developers who have been supposedly hurting in GBA sales (apparently only the big Nintendo release titles sell well enough to make good profits).

It's funny that Sony doesn't delve into portable gaming. Let's say if they made a handheld gaming system that has architecture based off of the original Playstation and then switch the media from CDRom to Mini-CDRom (all they'd have to do is trim the FMV and then port the code directly to), then they'd have a huge library games already supported and it'd be easier for companies to develop for since it's not far from what they are doing today (versus the radical shift backwards they have to do when creating games for the GBA).
Old 04-05-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think there has always been a year or more between Game Boy releases.

1991 Game Boy
1996 Game Boy Pocket
1998 Game Boy Color
2001 Game Boy Advance
2003 Game Boy Advance SP

They seem to be putting a lot of distance between releases to me. The next Game Boy is not on the radar yet, so I wouldn't expect it till late 2004 or 2005 at the earliest.

I think Sony could be a competitor in the handheld market. Using minidiscs instead of CDs they could probably make a handheld PSone. Eventually someone will challenge Nintendo.
Old 04-06-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i want an SP, but i also have larger hands, and the size of the SP and placement of the buttons is a little discouraging.

is there (will there be) games that one can play on the SP but not the GBA?
Old 04-06-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope. both GBA's have identical hardware. Only the display light, battery and form factor differ. BTW, have you played with an SP or does it just 'look' too small? It's really not bad (and I'm 9.5" from thumbtip to pinkie tip).

As with *ALL* game controllers, it's good to remember to keep a light touch on all buttons. Pressing them harder doesn't make anything move faster; it only leads to loss of control and sore fingers. And with a proper light touch, the SP feels fine in larger hands.
Old 04-06-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

drmoze - well, i must admit, i never though i was going to be measuring my hands, but the thumb/pinkie span is abour 9.5 inches for me to.

i have NOT played an SP. so, it does "look" to small i my mind!

i played a GBA once in a store for a few minutes, abd it felt really good.

i havent played a GBC and played a GB about 8 years ago.
Old 04-06-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, we're the asame size. $^) With a relaxed grip, the SP feels fine (and I've been doing some excessive Motoracer Adv. racing lately!). I do like the GBA feel, but the SP's *visible* screen and fold-up smaller design has gotten me to carry it along everywhere and actually enjoy the GBA games I have. My regular GBA was just languishing in the closet for a few months...