Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which PS2 baseball game do I get and where do I get it?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-26-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just drafted my fantasy baseball team and I've got a baseball game jones. The only real options are MVP Baseball 2003 and World Series 2K3.
Also, are there any suggestions on where to get them? No chance I'm paying $50.
Old 03-27-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Which PS2 baseball game do I get and where do I get it?

Originally posted by cleaver
I just drafted my fantasy baseball team and I've got a baseball game jones. The only real options are MVP Baseball 2003 and World Series 2K3.
Also, are there any suggestions on where to get them? No chance I'm paying $50.
Good luck on finding them cheaper than $50. You may find some on-line place with it for cheap, but the shipping will probably put it over $50. Best bet is to go with the baseball games from last year, but then you lose out on both MVP and WSB on PS2.
Old 03-27-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Maybe it'll end up like the football showdown last fall where EA trounces the Sega game in sales and Sega will then slash the price of their game (WSB) to $29.99 in a couple of months [fingers crossed]
Old 03-27-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Maybe it'll end up like the football showdown last fall where EA trounces the Sega game in sales and Sega will then slash the price of their game (WSB) to $29.99 in a couple of months [fingers crossed]
Doubtful...WSB from last year never deviated from it's $49.99 price point.
Old 03-27-03, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with High Heat, still the most realistic baseball game out there...
Old 03-27-03, 02:10 PM

forgot the "where" part of your question:

best buy has a printable 10% off coupon floating around, that will probably be the cheapest route..
Old 03-27-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WSB2k3=Best all around baseball game of the year,good pitching,good batting,good FXs,good sounds and a great Franchise mode with minor league talent.

HH=Best gameplay for a baseball game this year but it has muddy and terrible FXs,if you dont care about this then this is the best one to get,it has great stats and Franchise mode.

MVP=The best 2 player baseball game out,if you play with your freinds alot then this is your choice,pretty good franchise with great FXs.

AllStar2004=Avoid this years versions,this game has more bugs then a windows operating system,only option in this game is cursor batting which alot of people hate,in WSB2k3 you can choose what you want not so in this game,franchise mode is good though.

I rented all 4 of these and thought WSB2k3 was the best so I bought that one even though MVP is close and in some area's its better,only way to find what one is for you is to rent them or play demo's at video game stores.
Old 03-27-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVDHO
AllStar2004=Avoid this years versions,this game has more bugs then a windows operating system,only option in this game is cursor batting which alot of people hate,in WSB2k3 you can choose what you want not so in this game,franchise mode is good though.
I won't defend the game above for being great, but you can choose 2 non-cursor batting engines...zone and timed. It's somewhere in the options menu. Of course I was never able to hit a home run with either of the 2.
Old 03-28-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ya alot of people complained about how fast pitchers pitch in ASB2k3 also,you almost have to have cat like reflexes to get a base hit let alone a homerun,I didnt enjoy it at all but im sure alot do,everything I posted was just my opinion,it sux that there is so many baseball games out,its hard to choose which one fits you.
Old 03-29-03, 03:45 PM

WSB
Old 03-30-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After 4 or 5 years of buying the ASB games I decided to switch it up this year and get WSB 2k3. I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed so far. The pitches don't look right, the catching animation is off (the ball never looks like it goes in anyone's glove), the graphics are dull and too bright, the baserunning is messed up for at least one situation, etc. I still think it's a good game but I just don't see why it got such great reviews.

Ya alot of people complained about how fast pitchers pitch in ASB2k3 also,you almost have to have cat like reflexes to get a base hit let alone a homerun
I always liked the speed of the pitching ASB. The pitches come in way too slow in WSB. Thankfully the pitch speed is adjustable though.
Old 03-30-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
High Heat looks like the far and away winner this year. The graphics may not be quite as good as the competition, but it has by far the best gameplay.
Old 03-31-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I ended up getting MVP Baseball for 44.99 at CostCo. I love the pitching meter; it adds so much depth to the game. If you miss the meter you leave a hanger.
Old 03-31-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got All Star 2004, and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

The good...

The franchise is incredibly deep. Everything from creating players and expansion teams to breaking records and setting new standards is in there.

The graphics are great.

The number of teams, uniforms, and stadiums is staggering.

The bad...

Sometimes the 'catch glitch' is still present, meaning you'll snag a ball when it's like 11 feet away. Sometimes it doesn't look like the ball went in the glove.

The whole 'fastball' deal. When you're facing someone like Randy Johnson or Pedro, it's IMPOSSIBLE to hit the fastball until they cool off, like the 6th inning...it comes in way too fast.

I like it, I hated MVP - I thought that the meters ruined the fluidity for me and I thought the graphics were pretty terrible.