Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

GOT THE URGE TO PLAY AN OLD GAME!!! Who's coming with me!!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of a sudden, I have the urge to play an older game. I am an art teacher and one of the classes that I teach is called digital image of which I teach my students how to use the program Photoshop. Well, one of the projects that I have them do is to create their own Video game and design the Front/Back covers plus the inside instruction manual. Even though I have all Three of the new systems, I make them create their game as if it were a PS1 game. (Which I also have with the LCD screen) Anyway, I all of a sudden got this urge to play VAGRANT STORY. I never beat it when I originally bought it because it frustrated me beyond belief. I even went on Ebay and bought the damn strategy guide. I have always been disappointed with myself for not finishing it (as well as a few others that pissed me off or I became bored with) So I now make a pact with myself to finally play and beat it.

Wondering if this happens to any or most of you?

In fact, I know that there are a lot of you who have games(new or old) that you have set aside for some reason or another and tell yourself that you will beat it some day. But, we know that that day will never come!!!!! SO, I PROPOSE THAT WE ALL PICK UP ONE OF THOSE, PUT ASIDE GAMES, AND IN BETWEEN ALL OF THE OTHER GOOD, NEW GAMES THAT WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF PLAYING, FINALLY BEAT ONE OF THESE THORNS IN OUR SIDES!!!!!

WHO'S COMING WITH ME!!!
(You had me at hello)

Sorry, I got caught up in a Jerry Maguire moment!

DARTH GAMER
Old 03-18-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vagrant Story is hardly "old".

When you say old I want to hear 80s and early 90s arcade or Nintendo games, else you talking upon deaf ears my friend.

I went to an arcade auction last Saturday and got to play lots of the good ol' games for 3 hours straight, for free!! We're talking Galaga, Robotron, Defnder, Sinistar, Pac-Mans of all flavors, Dig Dug, TEMPEST, and let's not forget AISLES OF PINBALL MACHINES!!
Old 03-18-03, 09:37 AM

pixyboi wrote:
(I went to an arcade auction last Saturday and got to play lots of the good ol' games for 3 hours straight, for free!! We're talking Galaga, Robotron, Defnder, Sinistar, Pac-Mans of all flavors, Dig Dug, TEMPEST, and let's not forget AISLES OF PINBALL MACHINES!! )

Ah the memories you are bringing back.
Old 03-18-03, 09:43 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
What were the going prices, and what was the cheapest thing that went? I'm going to one in 2 weeks and need a heads up
Old 03-18-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never had the skills to beat the old arcade games. Now I don't have the patience to go through 100 levels of the same screen over and over. Pinball OTOH is different.
Old 03-18-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dek
What were the going prices, and what was the cheapest thing that went? I'm going to one in 2 weeks and need a heads up
Depends on the machine.. average machine price was about $300-$400. Of course some things brought in higher demand. Robotron and Defnder machines sold for like $700, a re-conditioned Ms Pac-Man sold for $800. Neo Geo cabinets ranged.. depending on style and slot number you're looking at $200-$400.

You going to the Super Auctions one? They come by here every 3 months, and I'm going to start going every time, it's REALLY fun, and next time I may buy a machine.
Old 03-18-03, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by pixyboi
Vagrant Story is hardly "old".

When you say old I want to hear 80s and early 90s arcade or Nintendo games, else you talking upon deaf ears my friend.

I went to an arcade auction last Saturday and got to play lots of the good ol' games for 3 hours straight, for free!! We're talking Galaga, Robotron, Defnder, Sinistar, Pac-Mans of all flavors, Dig Dug, TEMPEST, and let's not forget AISLES OF PINBALL MACHINES!!
I hear what your saying. Those games were great and are true classics. I remember them well. I bought most of the NAMCO museums just to keep in touch with what Got me into gaming to begin with. I really miss being at the old arcades. But, on the other hand, I really don't feel like going back that far. To me, those games are games that are meant to be played here and there to see if you can beat you last high score. Each game like, Dig Dug, Pacman Defender onlylasts a short while and to me were virtualy unbeatable. Just fun to play. I have so many PS1 games that I still need to complete that I feel that is a good place to return to. Plus, I bring my PS1 w/ the LCD screen to work and can play on my off period.
Old 03-18-03, 11:22 AM

I hear that pixyboi. Planning to go to the next auction in Columbus on 3/29.
Planning my 2nd MAME cab as well. Going vertical this time!
Old 03-18-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finished Shining the Holy Ark for Sega Saturn about 1 month ago, and started Albert Odyssey... I like old games, their lack of up2date 3D graphics don't bother me as long as the game is fun.
Old 03-18-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by buzzdalf
I hear that pixyboi. Planning to go to the next auction in Columbus on 3/29.
Planning my 2nd MAME cab as well. Going vertical this time!
Vertical!! All of my favorites are vertical man. All the classic Namco games and all the shooters, even current ones, are beautifully vertical.

BTW.. I wanted to build a cabinet myself, but I was wondering if there was any way you could put 2 (or 3?) JAMMA boards into one cabinet and make them easily switchable? My idea is to build a cab to house Namco Classic 1 and 2.. but I'd prefer to not have to open it up and switch the boards all the time. Anybody know?