Reload this Page >

Help me build an arcade stick...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-17-03, 12:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This past thursday night, I jumped head first into the world of MAME and can't seem to get out. I have been playing constantly and have decided to build a MAME cabinet... eventually. The first step is to build a 2 player arcade stick that I can use on my computer for the time being. I was looking into buying one, but after reading Draven's post about his efforts, I decided it would be a whole lot cheaper and a whole lot more fun to build my own.

After taking a look at Ultimarc, I think I am going to get all the equipment there (I-PAC, joystick, and buttons). The prices seem reasonable and it makes everything a lot simplier coming from one supplier. If there is something better out there for the same price (roughly), let me know. It look simple enough to hook up using I-PAC. What gauge wire do I need to use (or should I just buy the wiring kit)? What do I ground to?

What size board do I need? I know I need MDF, but besides that, what dementions should I be looking for? What size holes do I need to drill for the buttons and joystick?

I have absolutely no idea how to even get this working with my computer once its build (I'm using MAME32), but I'll question about that once I get there. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-17-03, 05:37 AM

The best place for resources for building your own arcade control is Arcade Controls. You should check out some of the samples that people have posted and also check out their forums. Hope this helps!!
Old 03-17-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Woo hoo! Another one joins the fold.

I got my Ipac from Ultimarc, but my buttons and joysticks from www.happcontrols.com . I think the prices are comparable.

I waited until I received the parts before deciding on the dimensions for my panel. I just figured out where my hands fell naturally for the joystick and the buttons and went from there.

I bought 22 gauge wire from Radio Shack (3-color pack, 75' total.) I used female disconnects from Home Depot to connect the wires to the controls. Easier than soldering, and I could fix problems quickly (I wired one of the joysticks incorrectly and had to fix it after I thought I was done. So it was good that I hadn't soldered them.) I just put a disconnect on the end and crimped it to the microswitches.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-03, 02:13 PM
Banned

How does this sound?

Happ Super Joystick (2) $7.99 ($15.98)
Happ 1 Player White Horizontal Microswitch (1) $1.90 ($1.90)
Happ 2 Player White Horizontal Microswitch (1) $1.90 ($1.90)
Happ Red Horizontal Microswitch (12) $1.80 ($21.60)
Happ Yellow Horizontal Microswitch (2) 1.80 ($3.60)

Total $44.98

The Super Joysticks are on sale through the end of this month. The red pushbuttons are for the game (6 per person) and the 2 yellow ones are for coin insert. Am I forgetting something?
Old 03-17-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That looks good to me.

Only thing I would suggest is maybe a few extra buttons, just in case. I have two on my panel that weren't hooked up to anything. I ended up wiring one up to turn the computer on and I think I will wire the other to do turn on whatever lighting I go with for the marquee.

Post pics when you can!
Old 03-17-03, 08:00 PM
Banned

I don't think that I will get anymore buttons than I need. If I do get any buttons to do features like turn off and on the machine or lights, I will most likely get smaller ones from RadioShack; no reason to spend money on a good button when it is not needed. The first step was planning... which I have done. Now I have to pawn some stuff (guitar, car amp, car sub, etc) to get money to fund my new project. I just hope I can get enough before the sale ends. Wish me luck!
Old 03-18-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll also need buttons for P1 and P2 start, as well as MAME helper buttons if you are planning to control everything from the joystick. (one each for ESC, TAB, ENTER and PAUSE)

I've been reading up in anticipation of building my first MAME box as well. It seems that 5/8 - 3/4 MDF is standard for control panels (tho it may get a little heavy).

You use 22 gauge wire, and I would recommend getting quick disconnects to make wiring a little easier. The I-PACs have two grounds on the boards (use one for each player to make the wiring a little less messy).
Old 03-18-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Fanboy
You'll also need buttons for P1 and P2 start, as well as MAME helper buttons if you are planning to control everything from the joystick. (one each for ESC, TAB, ENTER and PAUSE)
Actually, the Ipac has built in functionality for that. For example, holding down Player-1 and pressing Player-2 is like hitting Escape. Holding Player-1 and pulling down on the Player-1 joystick pauses. Things like that.

So you don't actually need buttons for that.
Old 03-19-03, 01:34 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

get a few extra buttons incase any of your main buttons break or get worn out or whatever.
Old 03-19-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Draven
Actually, the Ipac has built in functionality for that. For example, holding down Player-1 and pressing Player-2 is like hitting Escape. Holding Player-1 and pulling down on the Player-1 joystick pauses. Things like that.

So you don't actually need buttons for that.
Yes, true.

However, in research I've found many people seem to not like the shifted commands as - especially in 2-player, heated, quarter-sucking action - buttons can be pressed "in the heat of battle", as it were.

Especially in regards to "1-player + 2-player = Escape" seems to lead to a lot of games being called on account of both players continuing at the same time.

Ehh, I guess it really doesn't matter as even if you have a dedicated button for escape, you would still need to remap the shifted one in order to avoid the dreaded "not continue, but escape" phenomenon.

ps. the common drill bit for buttons is a 1-1/8" spade bit.
Old 03-19-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Fanboy
ps. the common drill bit for buttons is a 1-1/8" spade bit.
1 1/8" is the size, but I think you'd be better served by using a Forstner bit. Spade bits will work fine, but they're not well-suited to any laminate covering and it can be a little harder to drill with if you're not using a guide or press. Most of the time the lip on the buttons will cover up any imperfections, though.

Most people use 5/8" MDF, if you can find it. I've only been able to find 3/4". If you use 3/4", make sure you route the bottom side of the control panel where the joysticks will be - otherwise the joystick won't stick up high enough through the panel.
Old 03-19-03, 03:17 PM
Banned

I'm starting to have my doubts about building my own arcade stick. After a little number crunching, I see no advantage, financially, to building my own arcade stick or buying one from X-Arcade. The only thing I don't like about there stick is that the buttons around slightly triangulated, but that is made up for the fact that I can get a $25 adapter and use it on my PS2. That is a big positive. I am open to any opinions, on both sides of the issue, but right now I am leaning towards purchasing one.
Old 03-20-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, 2 years ago i bought a hotrod se joystick (similar to the xarcade, though not expandable to consoles)... nice controller, served its purpose for a while, but now i'm selling it and building my own.. i want more functionality than just a 2-player fighter setup.. plus after i build the control panel, i plan on building a cabinet and adding it to that...

plus you can always hack a ps2 pad and wire the controls up to that as well..
Old 03-20-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by joshd2012
I'm starting to have my doubts about building my own arcade stick. After a little number crunching, I see no advantage, financially, to building my own arcade stick or buying one from X-Arcade. The only thing I don't like about there stick is that the buttons around slightly triangulated, but that is made up for the fact that I can get a $25 adapter and use it on my PS2. That is a big positive. I am open to any opinions, on both sides of the issue, but right now I am leaning towards purchasing one.
Xarcade will work fine for most applications, but you won't be able to expand it (spinner, trackball, more buttons, a dedicated 4 way joystick, etc.). Also, some people (myself included) think that building it is half the fun.

If you're just looking for a way to play certain games with an arcade feel, Xarcade is possibly a cheaper way to go.
Old 03-20-03, 08:26 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
http://www.slikstik.com/
Old 03-20-03, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dek
http://www.slikstik.com/
Wow. That is some nice stuff... but a little price heavy for my taste. Seems like that guy is doing exactly what I would be doing, except with a lot more precision.

I am really leaning towards the X-arcade right now. I have seen applications where people just drop these units into a MAME setup and they work well. I have plenty of time to think about, and even though building my own would be fun, I don't really have extra money to spend on it right now. Since this will be an ongoing process (I don't even have a dedicated MAME computer yet, not even the one I'm using right now will do) I am sure to upgrade later. I thank everyone for their imput, and would like to hear more opinions if there are any.
Old 03-20-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow. That is some nice stuff... but a little price heavy for my taste. Seems like that guy is doing exactly what I would be doing, except with a lot more precision.

I am really leaning towards the X-arcade right now. I have seen applications where people just drop these units into a MAME setup and they work well. I have plenty of time to think about, and even though building my own would be fun, I don't really have extra money to spend on it right now. Since this will be an ongoing process (I don't even have a dedicated MAME computer yet, not even the one I'm using right now will do) I am sure to upgrade later. I thank everyone for their imput, and would like to hear more opinions if there are any.
You probably saw my application of the X-Arcade into my MAME cabinet in Draven's thread (pg. 5). The product is everything I expected and then some. After a year I still find reason to play the thing on a daily basis (they just recently released version .66) and the controller has been stellar.
Old 03-20-03, 11:34 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Forgot to add this to the thread as well, this crazy mofo has the ultimate setup

http://www.xiaou2.homestead.com/arcade.html
Old 03-21-03, 01:26 AM

I I can get a $25 adapter and use it on my PS2. That is a big positive. I am open to any opinions, on both sides of the issue, but right now I am leaning towards purchasing one.
If you want it for the PS2 you can build the controller by gutting a cheap $5 PSX controller and use that as the interface. I'm using 5 joysticks and 24 buttons that I just got from Happ and I'm building a two player controller with dual joysticks for Robotron and two player SmashTV and the fifth joystick I'll use as a dedicated 4-way. I'm using three $5 third party PSX controllers for the interface and I have a PSX-PC adapter to play Mame.
Old 03-21-03, 01:33 AM

If you spend a couple extra bucks and buy 3rd party analog psx controllers, then the joystick will work with ps2-xbox converters also.